Alaska Do 2017 BRW Summer Solstice under the Midnight Sun [June 20-23, 2017]

Subscribe
In the Grand Traditions of Flyertalk... there are do's and there are DO's. After taking a year off to recuperate, we're back again with an even more outrageous proposition... to conquer Point Barrow, Alaska over Summer Solstice... to see the Midnight Sun (The most northern point of the United States).

It's been two years now since our last DO in Alaska, so about time for something! [6 month notice]

Quote: A little history

Do #1 , the 2009 Spring Break Do primarily organized by vysean, featured a wintertime railroad journey to Fairbanks and a warm soak under the Northern Lights at Chena Hot Springs.

Do #2 , the 2010 Spring Break Do put on jointly by vysean and me, featured a fantastic tour of Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport's airside operations and a relaxing beachfront condo getaway in Homer.

Do #3 , the great 2010 127 Pounds of Cabbage Do, featured another tour of the airport plus an afternoon at the Alaska State Fair before journeying down to Seward for a whale of a time seeing ocean wildlife and calving glaciers. A subset of us continued on for an amazing two days in and around Denali.

Do #4 was the epic 2012 There's No Place Like Nome DO. A Do that will surely leave stories for a lifetime, we encountered everything from gold dredges and staged duels to epic bird-sized mosquitoes. Oh, yeah--and about 20 FlyerTalkers now know how not to change a flat tire.

Do #5 was the superlative 2013 Great Alaska ADQ Do to Kodiak, also known as Alaska's Emerald Isle and home to the majestic Kodiak Brown Bear. Whether climbing in a true Bush Alaska seaplane that took us over steaming volcanoes into the wild and famed Katmai National Park, where we got up close and personal with bears feasting on salmon, catching our legal limit of the freshest and most succulent halibut and rockfish, or dancing in the cleanroom air shower of the Kodiak Launch Complex, this was a trip no participant will ever forget.

Do #6 took us to the Southeast Panhandle of the state where we explored Russian history, modern government, and giant calving glaciers on the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...y-23-28-a.html. Totem poles, giant eagles, hungry bears, turquoise waters, and corrupt Alaska politicians are only a few of the things we encountered here.
Do #7 was another epic adventure exploring DUT. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...2015-a-14.html From exploring old WWII sites to a beachfront BBQ, berry picking and a massive King Crab extravaganza, this was uniquely Alaskan.

2017 is BRW. Call the town what you like, we'll be there.

Overview

Part Un
We fly north on the 20th. See the Flight section for more detail. Alaska Airlines has 3 flights a day. Ravn also has flights with multiple stops.

The highlight of BRW for many will be seeing the continual Midnight Sun. Some may recall a previous DO where we saw a baseball game into the early morning. This time the sun will not set. There is also an interesting Inupiaq museum to explore, with various artifacts, and extensive detail on whaling.

We're working out the details on a few other items in BRW, including a tour to the end of the road and BUECI. Some may recall a dip in the Bering Sea a few years ago too... this time we'll upgrade to the Arctic Ocean.

And maybe even a brief tour of the BRW airport.

There are several flight options back to Anchorage. Some are booked on the 11 AM departure to Anchorage. I'm on the evening nonstop.

Part Deux
Thursday June 22, 2017
Thursday we'll visit Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport for a "Behind the Scenes" tour. Roughly 2 hours long, I've requested additional time at the end of the runway to watch the heavies coming in. We're also in contact with several other carriers, to see their ops, and even the control tower with TRACON.

Thursday will also be reserved for time at various museums, like our Anchorage Museum downtown, Alaska Aviation Museum, and the Native Heritage Center. There may be an option for a microbrew tour as well. Perhaps we'll even try to squeeze in a FT favorite, Mooses Tooth.

Part Trois
Friday June 23, 2017
For those who haven't have enough fun, BOB W has generously volunteered to host another BBQ at casa de BOB W. There will be tri tip. There will be wine. And maybe an Alaskan sized salad. An optional morning excursion around town may occur for those interested, we know someone will want to see a moose .

To Do
  • Book flights to BRW arriving on June 20, 2017.
  • Book Hotel in BRW June 20-21, 2017 [+/- a day]
  • Book flights BRW-ANC on June 21/22, 2017.
  • Book Hotel/car in Anchorage June 21-23/24, 2017

And yes... I did take the photos below:

Summary
Part Un: June 20-21 BRW
Part Deux: June 22 ANC
Part Trios: June 23 BBQ in ANC

Part Un - BRW
Tuesday, June 20
*Times subject to change as this is rural Alaska
6:30AM: Pre-departure breakfast in ANC BR (see wiki for access)
7:37AM: Depart for BRW on AS55
10:54AM: Arrive in BRW pick up van
12:00PM Pick up bags go to hotels
12:30PM Lunch @ Sam n Lee's
2:00PM Tour of Local Infrastructure (BUECI)

6:12PM Arrival of AS50
7:30 PM Top of the World (Dinner)
8:24PM Official Summer Solstice
9:00PM Polar Bear Plunge into Arctic Ocean
10:00PM Fishing anyone?
~**~: Transportation provided back to hotels [Taxi/Walk]

Wednesday June 21
2:00AM Summer Solstice [Wake up to witness the sun up]
7:30AM: Wake up for breakfast
8:00AM: meet for pickup at hotels...
8:15AM BARC
10:00AM Visit Iupiat Heritage Center
11:00AM Visit Alaska Commercial to see "North Slope" pricing.

11:50AM: AS55 departs for FAI/ANC
12:00PM: Lunch @ East Coast Pizza
2:00PM Tour of Barrow [Local company]
7:04PM AS50 departs for ANC
8:51PM AS50 arrives in ANC
Post Arrival BR visit for snacks
self catered dinner due to late arrival/raid BR. *also taking other suggestions.

Part Deux - ANC
Thursday June 22
[Anchorage transportation NOT provided--most hotels have shuttles]
9:45AM: Meet at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport [North Terminal] for first tour.
10:00AM: Tour of PANC Tower/TRACON (30-40 minutes, will split into groups and visit TRACON and TOWER separately]
11:00AM: Lunch @ Airport [Several food options available]
12:00PM: Alaska Airlines tour
2:00PM: Behind the scenes tour of Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport (1.5 to 2 hours)
4:00PM another tour *pending pilot/aircraft availability
5:30PM "Live after 5" Live music and food vendors downtown Anchorage
6:30PM Tentative dinner downtown if you're not full...
9:00PM: Pub Crawl anyone?
Taxi back to Hotel

Part Trios- Anchorage
Friday, June 23
10:00AM: Choose your own adventure - Museums - jackal led hike up Flattop - exploring snooze - wandering downtown Anchorage
2:00PM: Sous-chefs welcome at Casa de BOB W for work and wine
4:00PM: Non-working attendees welcome at Casa de BOB W for wine
6:00PM: Food!
TBD: Taxi/Uber/Lyft yourself away
Reserved for Flights:

Alaska and Ravn both serve Barrow.

Northbound on June 20, 2017

Alaska Airlines
AS55 ANC-SCC-BRW 7:45AM-10:57AM 73H
AS50 ANC-SCC-BRW 2:55PM-6:13PM 73Q
AS51 ANC-BRW 5:30PM-7:20PM 73Q

Ravn (scenic, but higher risk to flight issues and number of connections)
7H3500 FAI-FYU-BTI BE1
7H3501 BTI-SCC BE1
7H3377 SCC-NUI-BRW BE1

Southbound on June 21, 2017

Alaska Airlines
AS55 BRW-FAI-ANC 11:55AM-2:45PM 73H
AS50 BRW-ANC 6:55PM-8:42PM 73Q

Ravn
7H3376 BRW-NUI-SCC BE1
7H919 SCC-FAI-ANC DH8

~Note for those avgeeks out there- 73Q is the 737-400 combi that is being retired in 2017~
Confirmed Attendees by Event:
If you're not listed and are expecting to go, please send me a PM. Thanks

Overnight in BRW June 20-21 and Tours
To be broken down by time and event shortly
  • beckoa
  • jackal
  • CDKing
  • rxgeek
  • rxgeek+1
  • violist
  • GrjApp
  • ANC RED-EYE
  • nomadic.relief
  • bdnyc
  • lili
  • tanzaniancane
  • tanzaniancane+1

June 22, 2017 PANC Control Tower Tour 10 AM
I need a list of names to submit. Extra approval is required for those who are not U.S. Citizens, please note in the PM if you're not a U.S. Citizen.
  • beckoa
  • BOB W
  • jackal
  • CDKing
  • rxgeek
  • rxgeek+1
  • lili
  • GrjApp
  • bdnyc
  • AKScotty
  • nomadic.relief
  • violist

June 22, 2017 Alaska Airlines Tour 12:00 PM
Will meet up after lunch
  • beckoa
  • BOB W
  • jackal
  • CDKing
  • rxgeek
  • rxgeek+1
  • lili
  • GrjApp
  • bdnyc
  • AKScotty
  • nomadic.relief
  • violist

June 22, 2017 PANC Airport Tour 2 PM
Need a # of attendees for vehicle size
  • beckoa
  • BOB W
  • jackal
  • CDKing
  • rxgeek
  • rxgeek+1
  • lili
  • GrjApp
  • bdnyc
  • ANC RED-EYE
  • AKScotty
  • nomadic.relief
  • violist

June 23, 2017 BBQ
Menu posted here
  • beckoa
  • BOB W
  • jackal
  • AKronin
  • AKronin+1
  • CDKing
  • rxgeek
  • rxgeek+1
  • violist
  • GrjApp
  • ANC RED-EYE
  • bdnyc
  • GRALISTAIR
  • lili
  • AKDan
  • AKDan+1
  • AKDan+2
  • Jazon256
  • Jazon256+1
  • AKScotty
  • AKScotty+1
Attendees:

Confirmed
  • beckoa
  • BOB W
  • jackal
  • AKronin
  • AKronin+1
  • CDKing
  • rxgeek
  • rxgeek+1
  • violist
  • nomadic.relief
  • GrjApp
  • ANC RED-EYE
  • bdnyc
  • GRALISTAIR
  • lili
  • AKDan
  • AKDan+1
  • AKDan+2
  • Jazon256
  • Jazon256+1
  • AKScotty
  • AKScotty+1

Tentative
  • FriendlySkies
  • Calchas
  • PV_Premier
  • krazykanuck
  • upup&away
  • monitor [Not BRW]
  • pfbloom
  • brizone

Next Time 2018?
  • serfty
  • NewbieRunner
  • Zorak
  • Middle_Seat
  • FortFun
Group Expenses:
  • Guided tour of BRW $75 cash:

2 PM June 21st
    • beckoa
    • CDKing
    • rxgeek
    • rxgeek+1
    • bdnyc
    • nomadic.relief
  • Rental Car in BRW [12 pax van $208.50 per 24 hours $18.95 ea assuming full plus fuel] May need to use taxis for some, $6 ea OW ride
  • Lunch at Airport
  • BBQ in ANC ($25 inclusive of wine) cash at the door.
ooohhh, I'd forgotten about this ...

Excellent reason to reschedule the dentist appointment I just made!

Please put me down as a tentative.
Dates don't work for me sadly ....

I swear I'll get to one of these one day...
I don't bid my dates for our next schedule until the middle of next month or so, though put me as a very likely attendee!
Looking at flights

Quote: Summary
Part Un: June 20-21 DUT
Part Deux: June 22 ANC
Part Trios: June 23 BBQ in ANC
There is a detour to DUT?

Quote: Wednesday June 21
2:00AM Summer Solstice [Wake up to witness]
7:30am: Wake up for breakfast
8:00am: Tour of Barrow [Local company]
11:55AM: AS55 departs for FAI/ANC
12:00PM: Lunch
1:00PM Insiders tour of BRW [TBD]
5:00pm: Arrive Anchorage
6:55PM AS50 departs for ANC
8:42PM AS50 arrives in ANC
Dinner on your own

Story of my life
I've booked my flights. Since it was 20K each way from BOS, i took advantage of the new AS elite benefit of instant upgrades on the Full Flex 30K level and have upgrades confirmed both ways (minus the Combi flight)

I'm arriving a few days early with plans to head to Denali before the main event. I know I've been to Denali twice now in shoulder season, but this time I'll brave the tourists to see the park in the summer. If anyone else is interested. Denali Salmon Bake cabins are a great choice for ~$75 a night (shared bath).
Quote: I'm arriving a few days early with plans to head to Denali before the main event. I know I've been to Denali twice now in shoulder season, but this time I'll brave the tourists to see the park in the summer. If anyone else is interested. Denali Salmon Bake cabins are a great choice for ~$75 a night (shared bath).
One of these days, I do want to go all the way to Wonder Lake...
UTQIAGVIK
Beckoa will also be scheduling time in Utqiagvik with a local Elder who will teach everyone to say the name if the town correctly. Utqiagvik is one of the Inupiat names for the town that is the centerpiece of this DO. It means "A place to hunt Snowy Owls".

I, however, will not be making this journey North. Been there, done that, too many times to want to do it again. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that everyone else make the trip. It is a fascinating place that only takes a day or two to see and enjoy.

The BBQ will be open to everyone with a menu to follow....but it will include the usual suspects.
Quote: There is a detour to DUT?
Edit will happen soon in Jackal time to keep with tradition.
Quote: One of these days, I do want to go all the way to Wonder Lake...
The only problem with that one for me, is i'm not sure if there is enough time to actually get off the bus since its such a long ride.