$8 shower at Hong Kong airport

Subscribe
If you are a budget traveler and will do a mileage run to HKG. It just opens a new shower facility close to gate 60 that usually is the UA departure gate. For HK$65 or US$8, you have a shower and a quiet room with massage chairs for a nap.

Probably not a relevant topic on this board, but since I dont understand the point of mileage runs (flying 5000 miles to get points?). I have to ask...why would someone who would spend money and fly just to get miles, (no other purpose) even care about spending $8 on a shower? Seems like budget is not an issue if you do a mileage run!!
AA in CA,

Where is your head? The mileage run was to maintain the coveted status....nothing more. Most likely he turned around and went right back home, so why spend the money on a hotel, which he won't be in for even 12 hours, when you can spend $8 to take a shower and have a room to nap in before heading back out....
AA in CA: One word - whatever.

After all, with Int'l e-savers or web fares, etc., it can be pretty cheap to do a mileage run. No idea if you've got elite status - but for a lot of us, once we have it, we don't want to lose it - hence mileage run. It's a hobby ... admittedly one that makes us spend far too much time in pressurized aluminum tubes. So, to each their own.

And I don't know about you, but a shower after you've been on a plane for a good while is very very nice.
You really can't expect non-FF'ers to understand that spending time in a plane isn't really torture.

Personally, I rather enjoyed my TPE run. I got time to read, watched a couple of movies, and was generally happy about being completely cut off from my work for almost 3 days. I felt no urge to try my VPN, and only checked my personal e-mail. It was pretty darn relaxing.

Of course, the mileage calculations also came out distinctly positive in terms of net value.
I have never done a mileage run per se...but I agree that I would probably enjoy it, while I understand many others would find it drudgery.

I would tend to want to spend at least a night or two in HK (might even get some suits/shirts made), however vs. just coming straight home from the airport.
As for the $8 shower in HK. I might avail myself of it sometime.

As for AA in CA...I recently did TWO (back to back!) mileage runs from LAX-SIN.....and I loved every minute of it. One man's torture is another man's extasy. Go figure that one out....<wink>

It was US $9 yesterday.

Two doors away, at Thai Royal Orchid Lounge? $0

Three doors away, at the Red Carpet Club, "still closed for repairs".

------------------
Reached 1K MM on 8-29-01, please resume upgrading.
At Heathrow Terminal 4, shower (in general restroom, arrivals level) is free, unless a towel is desired (about $2.90). At Auckland, also free. Just for comparative purposes.
Just to clarify, I was not so much questioning spending extra hours in an airplane to gain miles (a whole separate topic, as one said...to each his/her own).

Rather I just noted the irony of flying thousands of miles and then looking for the cheapest shower available.

I will be the first to admit this is a phenomena I neither understand nor envy, but do enjoy learning the motivations of others.

Hope the 'mileage runners' did not find this offensive.
I wonder how much it costs now ?
I wonder how much it costs now ?

Thank you.
Quote: I wonder how much it costs now ?

Thank you.
This is so weird that I will gladly take the bait.

The answer appears to be $150 HKD.

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/ai...ion-lounge.htm
This isn't really a trip report is it? It's also 13 years old.

I think it's best if this thread is closed.

matthandy
Moderator: Trip Reports