Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

How about a US total eclipse DO?; Aug. 21, 2017; let's start planning!

Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slocouple
(West to east)

Madras, OR:
wcrhkd

Dayton, OR:
2ruse

BOI (Ontario, Oregon):
jrl767
PWMTrav+family (tentative)
HkCaGu

SLE / Salem, OR:
Eastbay1K
Smiley90
C W

AS3382 PDX-MCI in flight, ID-WY
violist
lili
There are still window seats available on this flight
(though in coach and for lots of money)

Island Park, ID:
SLOCouple (probably driving to or near Rexburg)

JAC / Jackson Hole, WY:
Austin787 (watching at the airport)

CPR / Casper, WY:
pseudoswede + 6

AIA / Alliance, NE:
mhnadel
headinclouds (Sidney)

LNK / Lincoln, NE (driving west for viewing):
jerry305 +1
TheLifeOfA_NKCM + 3 (Staying in Omaha then driving somewhere near LNK)

MCI/Kansas City: (driving north or east into MO for viewing)
Sweet Willie
jackal (possibly; if I come, I'll drive up to STJ on 8/21; may also be near St. Clair, MO or Carbondale, IL)

STJ (north of MCI, MO):
ClaudiSTR
FriendlySkies

Evansville, IN:
mvitale + 1 (then driving to Carbondale, IL-ish for viewing)

BNA(/Hopkinsville, KY): (Click for URL)

Zorak
tmiw
HPN-HRL
diburning +1
financialhippie + family
exerda +1
l'etoile (likely watching in Gallatin)
trek87

GSP / GreenvilleSpartanburg, SC:
SRQ Guy

CHS / Charleston, SC:
Mr. Vker
jrsinpdx
Brendan (I live there! )
yunicorner (will probably watch in Columbia at the capitol)
Herb687
BeachMiles
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

http://www.popularmechanics.com/spac...solar-eclipse/

About a year from now, the lower 48 of the US will experience its first total eclipse since 1979. Looks like the max time of totality will be in southern IL. But the path goes pretty near some decent-sized cities/airports, it appears.

I'd say a major consideration would be a place with low likelihood of cloudy skies. So with that in mind, please look at the map in the linked article and give suggestions on the best place to have an Eclipse DO.

TN, SC, WY, MO?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
I already have a hotel reservation in Alliance, Nebraska. Why there? High probability of good weather - and Carhenge! It's also about a 2 hour drive to Wind Cave National Park.

The two places a lot of the serious eclipse viewers I know are heading to are eastern Oregon / western Idaho and a bit further east in Nebraska than I'm planning (where there are more hotels but no Carhenge.) I do have a friend who is an astronomer who is heading to eastern Tennessee, but the weather odds are worse there. (He has other motivations for the choice, since Jonesborough, TN is a pilgrimage site for storytelling.)

I am 3 for 3 on eclipses so far and am hoping my weather karma continues.

Last edited by mhnadel; Sep 1, 2016 at 2:16 pm
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:28 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I'm booked for this, including the HSV pre-tour:

http://www.insightcruises.com/events/st08/
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:56 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mhnadel
....and Carhenge!
I thought Carhenge were those upright Cadillacs (actually called Cadillac Ranch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Ranch ) but then realized you meant Carhenge NE http://carhenge.com/
-
Originally Posted by mhnadel
The two places a lot of the serious eclipse viewers I know are heading to are eastern Oregon / western Idaho and a bit further east in Nebraska than I'm planning (where there are more hotels but no Carhenge.).
thanks for the tips on likely optimal viewing!
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA
deleted

Last edited by cubbie; May 29, 2017 at 2:51 pm
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I thought I read somewhere that the eclipse will peak somewhere over Kentucky. Is there much of a difference between Kentucky and the other places mentioned above?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by tmiw
I thought I read somewhere that the eclipse will peak somewhere over Kentucky. Is there much of a difference between Kentucky and the other places mentioned above?
Hopkinsivlle, KY will get about 2 minutes 40 seconds of totality. Towns in western Nebraska will get about 2 minutes 20 seconds.

According to the U.S. Naval Observatory, the point of longest totality is actually in Illinois. There is a spot in the Shawnee National Forest that will get 2 minutes and 44 seconds. You can see the map and input your favorite viewing spot at http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/Eclipse2017.php
Old Sep 2, 2016, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I would be interested in joining this. I am as of now planning to fly to Boise and drive north from there. My logic is that BOI is usually reliably cheap for flights, high probability of clear skies, decent hotel options. But I could be convinced to go to other locations if there is a FT DO to join.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This has been getting some media play in KC in the past week or two as the -1 year anniversary has passed. MCI is one of the larger airports along the line of totality, so hotels are already getting a ton of bookings for that weekend.

Plan A for us is to go to St. Joseph, Missouri. Plan B, if northern Missouri looks like it will have bad weather, would be Marshall, Missouri. The period of totality around here is 2 minutes and 38 seconds.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
We just booked Charleston SC for April 20-23. Turn the lights out!

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm
Old Sep 5, 2016, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I would be interested in joining this. I am as of now planning to fly to Boise and drive north from there. My logic is that BOI is usually reliably cheap for flights, high probability of clear skies, decent hotel options. But I could be convinced to go to other locations if there is a FT DO to join.
just booked a hotel room in BOI for the nights of 20-21 Aug ... the two Marriott properties near RDM are showing $430+ per night, so that was a definite non-starter
Old Sep 5, 2016, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by jrl767
just booked a hotel room in BOI for the nights of 20-21 Aug ... the two Marriott properties near RDM are showing $430+ per night, so that was a definite non-starter
which hotel did you book? i will see if i can get something there or in a nearby place, at least for now.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: Airlines: DL-Silver, UA-Silver Hotels: MR-LT PP
Charleston, SC Ren for me.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Res Inn Boise West, Sat & Sun nights -- $124, $112 non-refundable, $111 AAA, $105 senior
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I'm seeing hotel rooms in Nashville (closest major city/airport to Hopkinsville, KY) going for $175ish a night on average. That doesn't sound too bad to me. I'll have to see if I want to go there or some other location though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.