Community
Wiki Posts
Search

March 15 Changes !!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2003, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

March 15 Changes !!!

When I was booking some reservations, I kept getting EMERALD RESERVE as an option. A bit of detective work at the site shows the BAD NEWS.
-----------------------
Introducing new Emerald Reserve Service, exclusively for Emerald Club® members. Beginning March 15, 2003, whether you reserve a fullsize car, SUV, minivan or any other vehicle, you’ll be amazed at the speed and convenience of this new service. With Emerald Reserve, you’ll be able to reserve any car type, excluding intermediate. When you arrive at the location, you’ll bypass the counter, go directly to the row of the car class reserved, choose any car and drive away. It’s that easy!

When making intermediate car reservations, please continue to go directly to the Emerald Aisle® and choose from any available car as usual – all at the price of an intermediate. You may still find vehicles on the Aisle that are larger than intermediate (including fullsize), but if they need to guarantee a specific car class, simply use Emerald Reserve Service.
----------------------------
There is an accompanying chart that basically shows Emerald Aisle is now ONLY INTERMEDIATE SIZE CARS.

Admittedly, some of the Aisle locations have been LancerVille since bankruptcy was declared, but occasionally I could score a SUV, convertible, or fullsize car.

[This message has been edited by RobertTheTraveler (edited 03-15-2003).]
Old Mar 16, 2003, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Thrifty, National, Marriott
Fantastic, another travel industry "enhancement"! Congratulations, you can now reserve that "full size" malibu and oh, by the way, we're going to charge you for a "full size" rental instead of throwing in the "full size" for free. Of course you may continue to use the Emerald Aisle for your choice of Cavaliers at the same rates you used to pay.

Unbelievable! Why does it seem that the companies that most need their loyal customers to stick around are the ones that come up with the fastest ways to drive us away?
Old Mar 17, 2003, 7:58 am

Hello folks,

Despite all good intentions, it looks like the table on the website is creating some confusion. The table states that from March 15, when you want to use the Aisle you have to make an intermediate car reservation and you will pay for an intermediate car. However, you will be able to drive what ever cars are on the Aisle. This would include intermediate and fullsize, as well as other vehicle types when inventory permits (as is the case today). The only change is that you can no longer make a "fullsize reservation" and use the Aisle, as that will automatically make an Emerald Reserve booking. Just to clarify, before today, when you made a Fullsize reservation for the Aisle, the system would automatically change it to and Aisle reservation and you would pay the intermediate rate. So in essence this is only a change in reservation requirements.

The Emerald Reserve service is designed for folks who don't want to take "luck of the draw" on the Aisle and definitely want an SUV or convertible, or what ever other class of car (except Intermediate)... now they are not required to go to the counter.

NationalCarInsider
Old Mar 17, 2003, 3:21 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

What about existing Full Size reservations that entitled the use of the Emerald Aisle?

I'm quite upset about this change and may switch to Avis or Hertz as my primary rental company. When I first got Emerald Club in 1990 the usual car was Cadillac - then came Pontiac Bonnevilles - then the Regals - then last year's Lancers - now this year's Galants. When travelling, I like to rent cars of a similar size to what I normally drive at home (BMW 528 and Mercedes E320) since you're driving in unfamiliar areas. A Cavalier is never acceptable. GrandAm is grudgingly accepted. Regals are acceptable. Interesting and different cars make it fun.

They's also taken away the points program for long term members (15-20% discount effectively). I can understand why they needed to do that and wasn't overly upset with that change.

But this change is not acceptable to me. I like being able to guarantee (and pay the extra $2 a day) for a Full Size car and still have the choice of taking something interesting on the Emerald Aisle. This change does not enhance their service any since you've had Emerald Choice for a long time which allows you to book any car class, I believe, and still bypass the counter. Emerald Aisle was allowed if you booked Mid or Full size. I'm not sure about the rate difference in those bookings but would gladly pay the extra $2 a day for the Full size booking. Reservations system should simply be adjusted for that.

As of now, I will probably switch over to Avis (where I'm Preferred Select - thanks to DL PM status - which gives me virtually a guaranteed one class upgrade up to and including Luxury).
Old Mar 18, 2003, 5:44 am

peteropny
I've been select a long time and never have been upgraded to a luxury car.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 8:40 pm

As I understand it, whatever car class reservation you make National was required to give at least that car class. If they were out of that class, they should give you a higher class for free. I believe this was regardless of Aisle or Counter service.
The Emerald Aisle gave you an bonus - pay for just an intermediate, and have the option to get take any car class that was in the aisle. Presumably if the aisle was completely empty, you'd go to the counter, and they'd give you the intermediate you booked.

Many people legally took advantage of this, and booked a higher class, either standard or full, for often the same or a few dollars more than the intermediate aisle rate. We still had the option to get any car class in the Emerald Aisle, but if it was empty, we could go to the counter, and request what we reserved (say full size).

It sounds like this is now gone. If you want to guarantee anything larger than an intermediate, you need to pay for it. If you want to gamble that you can get a fullsize or SUV for the intermediate rate, you need to give up right (via a reservation) to anything larger than an intermediate. Do I have this correct?

If so, what is to stop me from making 2 reservations, one for Aisle at the intermediate rate, and another for Counter for say a fullsize. When I get to the Aisle, if a fullsize car is available, I take it (at the intermediate rate), and cancel the fullsize reservation. If I don't like what I see in the aisle, I go to the counter, get the fullsize, and cancel the Aisle reservation.
Since there's currently no penalty (at least for most places) in cancelling a reservation, this would seem to be the way to go. National loses out because of these phantom bookings.

Jeff
Old Mar 20, 2003, 12:54 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Usually when I rent Emerald Aisle, I really do not care what vehicles are available in the Emerald Aisle. I simply take the one that suits my purpose for that trip. Usually it is a Toyota Corolla or similar car, as I actually prefer to drive smaller cars.

The one exception is the one leisure rental I make at the Fort Lauderdale Emerald Aisle location, where I like to choose a mini-van because it has built-in child seats, which I feel are safer than the ones that can be rented at the counter - plus, I did not have to go to the counter.

I recently was on a business trip in Fort Lauderdale. While I chose a Toyota Corolla, I was extremely disappointed to find that mini-vans no longer seem to be available in the Fort Lauderdale Emerald Aisle. At the same time, I overheard another Emerald Aisle member complain that the selection of vehicles are not as good as it used to be.

I did not notice any other vehicles on the Fort Lauderdale Emerald Aisle lot that had built-in child safety seats.

While it does not affect me for the most part, my conclusion is that the new policy "enhancement" concerning Emerald Aisle and Emerald Reserve is unfortunately a negative one.
Old Dec 19, 2003, 11:10 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I decided to put what I originally posted here into a new thread with a new topic.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience which I may have caused.

[This message has been edited by Canarsie (edited Dec 19, 2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.