Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) on AA and partner airlines
Minimum Spend" requirement for each status tier began 1 Jan 2017

In addition to the required EQM or EQS (same as 2016) to earn status in 2017 and onward one must also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"Starting January 1, 2017, we’ll add Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) to our earning requirements. Qualify in 1 of 2 ways:
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)

EQDs will be awarded based on:
  • Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights
  • Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers, "Special Fares" such as some AA Vacations flights, Thank You Points purchased fares, etc. earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased

With the addition of EQDs, the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status has been eliminated.
NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. "select flights" included in AAVacations packages), and the chart for those changed on 11 Jan 2017. See here.

2019 Status qualification tiers and requirements: link
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

aa.com: aa.com is updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.

Another impact of EQD is on upgrade priority within status tiers instead of time of upgrade request (FYI only, not discussion here):

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

The way your upgrade request is prioritized changed in 2017. You’ll be listed according to the type of upgrade, by your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months. The date of upgrade request will no longer be used except to break ties not resolved by higher priority levels. Applies both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM and EQD as reflected on charts on aa.com.

FAQ

Q. How will AA EQD be calculated?

Yes: Base fare plus carrier imposed fees, e.g. YQ etc. (Status buyup fees will count.)

No: Taxes, government or airport imposed fees, e.g. PSC, APD, TSA, etc. and ancillary fees (see below)

Q. How will flights on other oneworld carriers, AS, and "Special Fares" qualify for EQD?

Partner earning tables are here and special fare table here on aa.com.

Q. Will checked bag fees, seat purchases, LFBU and 500-mile upgrades, buy miles, or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs? (AA FAQ)

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked (or overweight) baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships (or passes), Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Status buyup fees will count, however.)

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and base miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete segment marketed as AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

Links

Link to FT: JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com (including FAQ).

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Arrow GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

This thread has been started in anticipation of the announced "EQD" (Elite Qualifying Dollar) credit that AA will require from those seeking status in 2017 and onward. For details, glossary and links, please read the wikipost at the top of the page.

If you can not see the wikipost:
  • Wikiposts currently can not be seen with the mobile skin

• You can go to the "wikipost" blue menu bar at the top of a thread page and click on the "-" sign at the right end of the bar, which minimizes all wikis. You can turn wiki posts "on" by clicking the "+" in the same menu bar when you wish.)

• You may have Wikiposts turned off in your settings

If so, in "My FlyerTalk - Your Control Panel - Edit Options - Miscellaneous options" see

Wikipost Hide All

Hide all Wiki Posts in Threads
[] Hide all wikiposts

and reset as needed.
/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 8, 2016 at 12:27 pm Reason: Convert for other use
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:49 am
Original Poster

New thread to discuss EQD.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
If AA copies Delta like they did with everything else then EQD on partners is the way to go.
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...e-requirement/
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: Ex Plat, Avis President's, and various hoteliers...
I am a little slow, but quick question. While I hit 100,000 miles each year, most of the heavy lifting is 3 PY trips on CX to Asia. At $3-$4.5K per trip the spend is there, but not with AA. Do I get credit based upon the second EQD bullet in the wiki above?

Starting to wonder if changing to Marco Polo is the smart move, but love those upgrade certs when flying to LHR.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USD2BUSMC
I am a little slow, but quick question. While I hit 100,000 miles each year, most of the heavy lifting is 3 PY trips on CX to Asia. At $3-$4.5K per trip the spend is there, but not with AA. Do I get credit based upon the second EQD bullet in the wiki above?

Starting to wonder if changing to Marco Polo is the smart move, but love those upgrade certs when flying to LHR.
Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers and Alaska Airlines will earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased
Yes, you will earn EQD credit. No, we won't know how that will be calculated until AA releases more details - they said this would occur 15 July 2016.

As long as you earn the required EQD and EQM (or EQS) you'll be good.

(And for some, it will be good news that as of 2017, it will not be necessary to fly four segments on AA marketed flights. Personally, I'm thinking this might yet change again.)

As it states in the wiki:

Peripheral issues:

AAVacations: unsure how these will accrue miles or credit EQD at this time.

EQD requirements will apply to non-US residents as well as US as currently exists

EQD waivers (if any) for affiliated credit card spend not announced at this time

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM as reflected on charts on aa.com; EQD credit to be announced (15 Jul 2016)
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:28 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
AAVacations: unsure how these will accrue miles or credit EQD at this time.
It seems that even AAVacations will be treated as a standard "vacation package," i.e. distance-based EQD in initial feedback from AA on FB, apparently (according to the post below).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26746260-post177.html

Cheers.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat, >2MM), United (Gold, >1 MM), HH (Diamond), SPG (Gold), Accorhotels (Gold)
Originally Posted by USD2BUSMC

Right now the EQD charts have not been revealed, but I would suspect that the base rate will be 10%, rising to a max of 20% (what Lifetime AirPass members earn). For DFW-PEK-DFW (about 14K miles) that would net between $1400 and $2800 EQD's/trip. But note that UA does not award any EQD's for tickets sold by others, even Star Alliance (but it does award miles), since UA does not get the revenue. If it is a code-share flight, then UA does counts EQD's. Expect AA to go this way sooner or later. No sense in being better than the others in the race to the bottom.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PolarRoute
Right now the EQD charts have not been revealed, but I would suspect that the base rate will be 10%, rising to a max of 20% (what Lifetime AirPass members earn).
I'm looking at an upcoming international trip I have booked for the husband on partners. LAX-DOH-BOM-DOH-SYD

EQM earnings = 28,287 or about 28% of EQM qualifications for EXP

Using a 20% of base mileage calculation for premium class

EQD estimate = 3771.6 or about 31% of EQD requirement

Very equitable
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PolarRoute
Right now the EQD charts have not been revealed, but I would suspect that the base rate will be 10%, rising to a max of 20% (what Lifetime AirPass members earn). For DFW-PEK-DFW (about 14K miles) that would net between $1400 and $2800 EQD's/trip. But note that UA does not award any EQD's for tickets sold by others, even Star Alliance (but it does award miles), since UA does not get the revenue. If it is a code-share flight, then UA does counts EQD's. Expect AA to go this way sooner or later. No sense in being better than the others in the race to the bottom.
One difference may be that AA has revenue sharing Joint Business Ventures with AY, BA, IB, JL, QF. This in itself might militate a different approach than UA.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
As far as calculating EQDs does purchasing a flight with regards to EQDs count for the year purchased or the year flown?

For instance if I book a trip this December to fly in January will that EQD spend count for 2016 or 2017?
Old Jun 18, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
As far as calculating EQDs does purchasing a flight with regards to EQDs count for the year purchased or the year flown?

For instance if I book a trip this December to fly in January will that EQD spend count for 2016 or 2017?
Year flown. Just like EQM, EQS, and RDM
Old Jun 18, 2016, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WiscAZ

Just as with the changes in earning award miles, EQM, etc. it's when you fly, not when you buy, that matters. Specifically, iirc, when you're "punched in" for boarding.

Though for upgrades "later" 2017, it'll be status followed by (ultimately) the rolling last 12 months' EQD that will be the secondary qualifier.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:31 am

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...cial-fares.jsp
So does this chart mean that flying J via AAVacations earns EQDs equal to 30% of the mileage?

There is this caveat on the AAdvantage Program Updates page that is worrisome:
Are there any types of tickets that won’t earn award miles or EQDs? Tickets that currently don’t earn award miles, EQMs or EQSs won’t earn award miles or EQDs in the future. This includes:....Unpublished fare tickets, including consolidator fares
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:07 pm

EQDs from Partner Flights

Has there been any announcement on how EQD's work for flights on partner airlines? I'm Exec Plat on AA and fly Alaska frequently -- will I earn a fraction of the EQDs for flights booked and flown on Alaska? Will I need to book them via AA?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
No hasn't been announced. Supposedly will be July 15. Thread here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es-2017-a.html

Note if you book your Alaska flights with an AA flight number ("marketed by" AA) then you will earn EQDs as if an AA flight. If the flights have an AS flight number, then it's TBD. It's the flight number ("marketed by") that matters, not buying the flights through AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.