AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Subscribe
Quote: Just learning this!

I have 157,000 EQMs this year already and a trip to Bali in Nov will bring me to 180,000 so I am thinking of doing one of these runs to hit 200,000 for the additional SWUs.

I did a few MR's earlier this year to JNB on BA in PE and a few $1600 J trips to Europe on BA, hence why I have so many EQMs.
Why waste time and money on this mileage run when you can do a miles and points upgrade instead?
Just a heads up! Many of you are probably aware of several AA schedule/equipment changes being made this weekend for future travel. So far, one change directly impacting this run is the MIA-PTY-MIA flights on the E-jets. Most have been scheduled slightly earlier for 12:53pm-3:00pm (was 1:16-3:23pm) and returning from PTY at 3:40pm-7:45pm (was 4:03-8:09). I received a schedule change notification for my trip in October. Anyone with a run booked should double check their trip on AA.com.

Given its been moved about 25 minutes earlier, it shouldn't have much of an impact on most trips. However, if you are traveling from another city that day and your connection has now become tighter, you should consider whether to change flights around or take the risk as it now stands.
Quote: Why waste time and money on this mileage run when you can do a miles and points upgrade instead?
Came from DL just for 2016.

Not sure exactly what you mean.

All of my travel is for fun and I turn MR's into mini vacations.

Care to explain.....?
Quote: Came from DL just for 2016.

Care to explain.....?
2 SWUs are equivalent to $700 + 70k miles ($350 + 35k miles x 2). So the point was if you have a ton of miles already and are spending $700+, you can spend the same, save yourself time from MRing, and request the upgrades with miles + co-pay instead of trying to get 2 more SWUs. But, if you like spending time on planes more then go for it.
Quote: Came from DL just for 2016.

Care to explain.....?
You may wanna look at other destinations if you consider MRs mini vacations. PTY has the worst weather this time of year where it rains almost every day all of October and most of November. February is the driest month where you can soak up the sun and really enjoy yourself out and about. But as that would be 2017 and not count for this EQM year, theres no way around it. I just think if you are spending all this money just to do it for fun, then go somewhere thats worthwhile and at the right time of year.

Since it sounds like you would have a TON of award miles, you should be using them for mileage upgrades on trips to destinations fitting for "vacations"

I have nothing against Panama City. I just think guaranteed rainy, humid weather is a sign to do a quick turnaround in PTY
Quote: 2 SWUs are equivalent to $700 + 70k miles ($350 + 35k miles x 2). So the point was if you have a ton of miles already and are spending $700+, you can spend the same, save yourself time from MRing, and request the upgrades with miles + co-pay instead of trying to get 2 more SWUs. But, if you like spending time on planes more then go for it.
EXACTLY! well said!
Quote: Hey folks, I got the ITA Powertools working with Chrome - but I still can only search for 6 flights at a time. Am I missing something to search for & book more than 6 flights together?
Yes, you need to use the advance routing codes fields to force additional sectors. Something like the following would force more sectors:

LAX
LAS PHX PHL MCO MIA

PTY
MIA MCO PHL PHX LAS

There are plenty of guide threads on how to use Matrix on here - so a simple search should throw them up.
Quote: Yes, you need to use the advance routing codes fields to force additional sectors. Something like the following would force more sectors:

LAX
LAS PHX PHL MCO MIA

PTY
MIA MCO PHL PHX LAS

There are plenty of guide threads on how to use Matrix on here - so a simple search should throw them up.

I appreciate the response. I've read several guides on this site and others but haven't seen anything addressing adding additional segments. The advanced routing codes are all for other purposes. I gave up trying to read through thousands of thread posts.

Is there a particular guide you can recommend that covers this? If you, or someone, could just point me to the right guide I'll be able to sort this out.
Quote: I appreciate the response. I've read several guides on this site and others but haven't seen anything addressing adding additional segments. The advanced routing codes are all for other purposes. I gave up trying to read through thousands of thread posts.

Is there a particular guide you can recommend that covers this? If you, or someone, could just point me to the right guide I'll be able to sort this out.
The advanced routing codes are for adding additional segments. By putting in the transfer airports, you are adding additional segments.

There are some guides available:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13303030-post4.html
http://www.travelcodex.com/2012/01/i...-to-using-ita/

Otherwise, PM with your preferred routing and I can try and help
Quote: Officially SDC on an international itinery is not possible outside of JFK-LHR flights but you can always call in and try.

Security at PTY was a breeze. From leaving my uber to sitting in the COPA lounge took 10 minutes.

I noticed I had online SDC options for MIA-PTY yesterday. I didn't bite because it would have placed my outbound after my return, but I was surprised because I didn't expect to see any options as it was an international itinerary.

Also, I agree that security at PTY is a total joke. The holding pens by the gates are very annoying, though. Aside from them being restrictive, and aside from the airport smelling awful, I was pretty surprised when they took away my nail file and curled scissors from my toiletry bag. I've flown throughout the world with those for years!
Quote: I'm doing this run right now. I booked it last night -- I found a pretty attractive last-minute set of flights.

Sat Sept 3
LAX-MIA
AA 68 (11:00a - 6:59p)
77W departing from TBIT! So convenient!

Sun Sept 4
MIA-PTY
AA 1021 (9:45a - 11:53a)

PTY-MIA
AA 4434 (3:41p - 7:46p)

E75

Mon Sept 5
MIA-BOS
AA 1509 (7:00a - 10:15a)

BOS-JFK
AA 1509 (5:35p - 7:02p)
A321T in First ^

JFK-LAX
AA 23 (10:30p - 1:43a)
A321T in Biz

SDC Question: is it possible to SDC one segment of this? Obviously this cant be done online. Can it be done at the airport? By phone? Is there a fee? That segment was booked into A.

I'd love to move the MIA-BOS flight to later -- it's just a crappy 757 so not missing out on anything, and I'd rather spent more time in Miami!

Just an awesome little update on this:

In light of the travel waiver for JFK (which surprisingly works for me even though I booked on Sept 2), I called last night in hopes of doing something about the MIA-BOS leg. Departing MIA at 7am, it was way too early for my liking.

A small win: I was able to switch to MIA-JFK on flight 65 (departing 1:10 pm, arriving JFK at 4:00pm) in A on the 763. Much better timing and much better plane than the 757.

A big win: I was also able to swap BOS-JFK (originally booked in I) and JFK-LAX (originally booked in I) for JFK-LAX. I moved to an earlier flight, so I don't get back at 1:45am anymore! Even better, she (accidentally? Intentionally? Cluelessly?) booked my into A for JFK-LAX, so instead of flying business on the return, I'll be flying first on the 321T! No fee or fare difference due to the travel waiver! It doubt it's for operational reasons either because biz is wide open on that flight!

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited. I'd swap BOS-JFK in 321T F for JFK-LAX in 321T F any day of the week!
Quote: 2 SWUs are equivalent to $700 + 70k miles ($350 + 35k miles x 2). So the point was if you have a ton of miles already and are spending $700+, you can spend the same, save yourself time from MRing, and request the upgrades with miles + co-pay instead of trying to get 2 more SWUs. But, if you like spending time on planes more then go for it.
Not the same, along with 2 SWUs, you are EXP. Try upgrading LAX-LHR during high season without status, it's not gonna happen or any route for that matter. No status is at the bottom of the list with miles and copay.
Quote: Not the same, along with 2 SWUs, you are EXP. Try upgrading LAX-LHR during high season without status, it's not gonna happen or any route for that matter. No status is at the bottom of the list with miles and copay.
EDIT: Removed wrong info. I was actually referring to the EQD rolling period, but my memory lapsed.

https://hub.aa.com/en/nr/american-ai...ogram-6-6-2016
Quote: That and the new rule of highest paid ticket is given priority.
When did this happen?
Quote: Just an awesome little update on this:

In light of the travel waiver for JFK (which surprisingly works for me even though I booked on Sept 2), I called last night in hopes of doing something about the MIA-BOS leg. Departing MIA at 7am, it was way too early for my liking.

A small win: I was able to switch to MIA-JFK on flight 65 (departing 1:10 pm, arriving JFK at 4:00pm) in A on the 763. Much better timing and much better plane than the 757.

A big win: I was also able to swap BOS-JFK (originally booked in I) and JFK-LAX (originally booked in I) for JFK-LAX. I moved to an earlier flight, so I don't get back at 1:45am anymore! Even better, she (accidentally? Intentionally? Cluelessly?) booked my into A for JFK-LAX, so instead of flying business on the return, I'll be flying first on the 321T! No fee or fare difference due to the travel waiver! It doubt it's for operational reasons either because biz is wide open on that flight!

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited. I'd swap BOS-JFK in 321T F for JFK-LAX in 321T F any day of the week!
Congratz, that's pretty fortunate! Enjoy!