Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Fleet: LUS A319 CIP; F 8, 18 MCE - completed (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Fleet: Legacy US Airways Airbus A319 - CIP / Cabin Improvement Program

Note: For Legacy AA A319, see AA Fleet: LAA Airbus A319 - a Mixed Bag (consolidated)

All LUS A319 have been converted to eight First Class seats from 12 and have three rows of Main Cabin Extra added; conversion began Nov 2016.

Link to the FlyerTalk Airbus A319 seating guide for the latest seat maps

Courtesy of Gary Leff via FWAAA:

Here's what AA told employees (courtesy of Gary Leff):

AA didn't talk about replacing the bins - only the bin doors.

Unconverted LUS A319 HAD F12, MCE0, Y112, no by-seat power or AVOD.Rows 1 - 3 First Class

Rows 4 - 22 Coach CIP LUS A319 and LAA A319 8F, MCE18, Y102, by-seat power, no AVOD.Rows 1 - 2 First Class (no rows 3 - 7; aircraft substitutions can cause seating havoc!)

Rows 8 - 10 Main Cabin Extra

Rows 11 - 27 Main Cabin
LUS included three models of Airbus A319s, differentiated primarily by engines:
  • Newer A319-115(WL): CFMI CFM56-5B7/3 engines and Sharklets wingtip devices (the "WL" designation).
  • A319-112: CFMI CFM56-5B6/P
  • A319-132: IAE V2524-A5

Originally Posted by DWFI
To dissect this a bit, the airbus codes are as follows

-1XX - first number indicates secondary model designation

-X1X - second number indicates engine option. So AA has 2 different engine options (-1- and -3-)

-XX5 - third number indicates ... the revision number...
AA A319 Cabin walk through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu_rJEstdhs
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Have heard reports that N821AW, a former US A319 has re-entered service after having its cabin reconfigured. Apparently it now features the same cabin config as the LAA A319s: 8F seats, 120Y Power in every seat now, but no PTVs.

I wonder, where will this bird be deployed? Would make sense to initially deploy it on LAA A319 routes where pax have bought tickets for that configuration. However, if it is substituted for an LUS A319 with 12 seats of booked F, there will no doubt be some unhappy pax bumped back to Y. Could also explain why AA seems to be holding back 4 seats for gate upgrades on the past few A319 flights I've been on...maybe priming the market to expect less upgrades.

Not a positive change at all as far as I see it.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
"Not a positive change at all as far as I see it."

As someone who's flown almost exclusively in pre-merger US Airways A-319's, I see this as a huge positive. Those planes are old and uninspiring. Any remodel is a plus in my book. I'm happy in coach.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlb3
Those planes are old and uninspiring.
I'll certainly give you this, but I'm referring more to the reduction in F seating. Even though most of my travel is in paid F, having one less row on the prolific A319 makes the prospect of keeping my seat in F should a delay/misconnect happen just as unlikely as the pax in Y hoping to score an upgrade...

Last edited by ACA321; Nov 14, 2015 at 8:47 am
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
MCE?

Does the reconfig include adding MCE?

If it does, that's certainly an improvement, no matter what's going on up front.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by bse118
Does the reconfig include adding MCE?

If it does, that's certainly an improvement, no matter what's going on up front.
It looks like the flight it will do tonight, IAD-LAX, shows row 8-10 as MCE and only 8 F seats.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
There are three rows of MCE along with 8 F seats.

This plane is despised by flyertalk AA flyers, here a link to the discussion. I don't think US flyers will think this is a good thing.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...mixed-bag.html
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KBMIFlyer
There are three rows of MCE along with 8 F seats.

This plane is despised by flyertalk AA flyers, here a link to the discussion. I don't think US flyers will think this is a good thing.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...mixed-bag.html
I've flown the LAA A319 several times. It's fine, not the best plane in the fleet, sure, but perfectly fine.

The question is not how does the reconfig LUS A319 compare to the LAA A319, its how it compares to old LUS A319 config. I'll take a plane with a few rows of 34" pitch MCE over a plane with mostly 31" pitch Y, anytime.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by ACA321
I'll certainly give you this, but I'm referring more to the reduction in F seating. Even though most of my travel is in paid F, having one less row on the prolific A319 makes the prospect of keeping my seat in F should a delay/misconnect happen just as unlikely as the pax in Y hoping to score an upgrade...
There's plenty of teeth-gnashing in other threads about AA holding back more upgrades until the last minute these days. Ostensibly this is part of the reason. The past few times I've flown in F and run into irrops, I've been reaccommodated in F on the next flight. No doubt this resulted in some unhappy campers on the upgrade list.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brc757rr
It looks like the flight it will do tonight, IAD-LAX, shows row 8-10 as MCE and only 8 F seats.
I wonder what happens to pax who reserved row 4 on those flights where this aircraft is deployed. Row 4 is the bulkhead listed as MCE on the LUS A319. On this new config the bulkhead is row 8. Are pax originally seated in rows 4-7 now automatically reassigned rows 8-11 or are they just displaced to other open seats anywhere in the back? Seems that would be unfair, but wouldn't put it past AA... am interested to hear some first hand experience as these planes make their way around the LUS system.

All the more reason to diligently babysit those existing reservations on A319s in either cabin.

Data point: Currently flightaware.com shows N821AW scheduled to be flying flight 780 (LAX-IND) tomorrow- Nov. 15th, and the return flight 460 IND-LAX on the same day. Seatmap on AA.com shows original LUS config though (3 rows of F, bulkhead Y row 4). Looking at the seatmap for flight 780, it's obvious there are already more pax assigned seats in F than are available on the new config. If ship 821 does indeed operate this flight, there will be some pissed of pax for sure...

Last edited by ACA321; Nov 14, 2015 at 9:48 am Reason: Edited to include data point
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Pics?!
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Fleet commonality is a long-term goal, years and years away when there are so many US-origin A319s to be converted. Delta is still flying multiple DL-config and NW-config 757-200s seven years after the merger. (DL somehow managed to acquire enough lie-flat/aisle access business seats for all of their 777s and 767-ERs so we see where the priorities rested. )

AA config A319 vs. US config A319 probably was never a realistic choice: it would come down to one config A319 (fleet and crew commonality) versus RJs. Are mainline AA config A319s better than Envoy-operated RJs? Absolutely - check the performance metrics for on-time, cancellations, baggage handling...
Old Nov 14, 2015, 12:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Have heard reports that N821AW, a former US A319 has re-entered service after having its cabin reconfigured.
That would be a former HP, or perhaps US-West, aircraft.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Originally Posted by bse118
I've flown the LAA A319 several times. It's fine, not the best plane in the fleet, sure, but perfectly fine.

The question is not how does the reconfig LUS A319 compare to the LAA A319, its how it compares to old LUS A319 config. I'll take a plane with a few rows of 34" pitch MCE over a plane with mostly 31" pitch Y, anytime.
Just wait until the reduced MCE availability puts you in the 30" Y section for 3 hours.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Yes lets complain about the less F seating, meaning less free stuff for everyone. Nevermind that we finally have power outlets and updated seats, oh! and main cabin extra.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
LI wonder, where will this bird be deployed? Would make sense to initially deploy it on LAA A319 routes where pax have bought tickets for that configuration.
It would make the most sense, but I don't know if LAA pilots can fly LUS metal yet, though. Going by the later posts, it's sticking to LUS routes at this time.

I wonder what happens to pax who reserved row 4 on those flights where this aircraft is deployed. Row 4 is the bulkhead listed as MCE on the LUS A319. On this new config the bulkhead is row 8. Are pax originally seated in rows 4-7 now automatically reassigned rows 8-11 or are they just displaced to other open seats anywhere in the back? Seems that would be unfair, but wouldn't put it past AA... am interested to hear some first hand experience as these planes make their way around the LUS system.

All the more reason to diligently babysit those existing reservations on A319s in either cabin.
Ideally, it should shift the passengers in rows 4-7 back to rows 8-11, but in practice AA's algorithm for reassigning seats after a configuration change seems to just randomly assign new seats most of the time without consideration for the previous assignments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.