WiFi calling on AT&T

Subscribe
Thread starter for AT&T users, congrats!

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/08/...now-available/
Really? Can't use it outside the US?
Quote: Really? Can't use it outside the US?
I'm a TMO fanboy so happy camper, LOL. At least it's a start for AT&T.

It seems you also can't turn on airplane mode and wifi back on to force wifi calling.
Quote: It seems you also can't turn on airplane mode and wifi back on to force wifi calling.
iPhone5S here on 9.0.2 - these are my T-Mo WiFi Call settings
Airplane mode - OFF
WiFi - ON (to whatever network)
Cellular - OFF
Carrier (status: T-Mobile WiFi)
and
under, Phone
WiFi Calling - ON (Make and receive calls over Wi-Fi with your T-Mobile account) ... plus E911 Update Emergency Address (done)

That's how we've been making T-Mo WiFi calls - using the cellular # under T-Mobile (not Hangouts or Talkatone, etc.) no charges or minutes deducted against any airtime, even when we're traveling abroad.

What's your setting - can it toggle the above & call ? It is a good start in the good direction for AT&T ...
Quote: iPhone5S here on 9.0.2 - these are my T-Mo WiFi Call settings
Airplane mode - OFF
WiFi - ON (to whatever network)
Cellular - OFF
Carrier (status: T-Mobile WiFi)
and
under, Phone
WiFi Calling - ON (Make and receive calls over Wi-Fi with your T-Mobile account) ... plus E911 Update Emergency Address (done)

That's how we've been making T-Mo WiFi calls - using the cellular # under T-Mobile (not Hangouts or Talkatone, etc.) no charges or minutes deducted against any airtime, even when we're traveling abroad.

What's your setting - can it toggle the above & call ? It is a good start in the good direction for AT&T ...
I just turn on airplane mode, then turn on wifi. It's easier than going in and toggling cellular network.
I'm trying to see what advantage there is to even having this.
Yes I do have AT&T (have had it for ages, have the unlimited from when it first rolled out).

However, I only have an iPhone 5S, so wouldn't be able to use this, even if I wanted to.

Seems very odd...I could make a Facetime call to another iPhone, and have done so, even when abroad.
It seems like the only thing this would do is use WiFi for calling if I'm in say NYC (and had a more current phone), where cell coverage can be a bit tight.
Quote: I'm trying to see what advantage there is to even having this.
Yes I do have AT&T (have had it for ages, have the unlimited from when it first rolled out).

However, I only have an iPhone 5S, so wouldn't be able to use this, even if I wanted to.

Seems very odd...I could make a Facetime call to another iPhone, and have done so, even when abroad.
It seems like the only thing this would do is use WiFi for calling if I'm in say NYC (and had a more current phone), where cell coverage can be a bit tight.
AT&T requires their phones to have VoLTE to have WiFi calling, presumably so that if the cellular network returns to an acceptable level the call can handoff. The 5s doesn't support VoLTE so it can't do this. (Which is ridiculous, as it works absolutely fine on the 5s/c.)

Not everyone has an iPhone for one, and not everyone that has an iPhone has FaceTime turned on.
Quote: I'm trying to see what advantage there is to even having this.
If you live in an area with marginal coverage, then your calls can now go over a (presumably better) wifi connection.

Where I live I get about -110 to -115dBm on ATT. If I walk in to certain areas in the middle of the house I occasionally start to have trouble hearing every word.

However, I have a gigabit internet connection and good wifi coverage in the house so when I use the ATT over wifi I get an excellent coverage throughout the house.
What happens with data and ATT wifi calling being on? Is the data piped back to ATT's servers and am I then charged by them for playing Pandora on my home network? Is ATT clear about wifi calls placed from outside the US being not charged at roaming rates?

Addendum:

Read the footnote on the doc linked to below. It says wifi calling is not available outside the US. Ugh.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/fea...i-calling.html
Quote: What happens with data and ATT wifi calling being on?
Data is handled separately from calls. As long as the wifi is good, data will go over wifi. To ensure it doesn't go over ATT's network when wifi is lousy or lost, you may need to check your settings.
It is ideal or those who have access to wifi but not good cellular coverage. If you don't have unlimited "talk" and care about cellular, just turn it off. As you move away from the wifi network, you will lost connectivity.

A great thing for many people in rural areas.
Quote: It is ideal or those who have access to wifi but not good cellular coverage. If you don't have unlimited "talk" and care about cellular, just turn it off. As you move away from the wifi network, you will lost connectivity.

A great thing for many people in rural areas.
Sorta. AT&T is requiring VoLTE devices so that if you leave WiFi coverage then it will switch over to the cellular network if there is "HD Calling" available. In general you'd be better off leaving it on. It will just deduct from the bucket minutes if you don't have unlimited.
You can use it outside the US, but some you can't in some countries, for instance, China, where I'd mostly like to use it
In Italy and it's working here.