SkyMiles July Announcements

Subscribe
Quote: Unfortunately for everyone that leaves others come on board. I was one of the subjects of a WSJ article a few years back (WSJ misspelled my last name, lol) where a DL spokesperson actually is on record stating such. It's pitiful but it's the truth, airlines can get away with this when biz travel is up and demand is high like it is now.
I think it depends. I personally know a few folks who matched over to DL from AA and as soon as they saw how few miles they were earning under Delta's program jumped on to AA (like after the second flight). IMO AA is the only other option right now and for the FF miles with basically the same service level (if you book the right AC/routes) it is a clear winner for me. When they change I will reassess but for now I am earning and redeeming miles just like the old days on DL/NW. Just looked at FC LAX-BOS for next month and almost every day has 25K availability (low).
Quote: What I'm doing isn't relevant to this thread. But if you must know, the camel's back was broken late last year. I ran to Diamond instead of ending the year at Platinum specifically so I could status match to AA EXP in Q3 of this year after passing the date where the status is good until 2017. I'm finally reaching my endgame just as DL is finally reaching theirs.
I am with you. I think we should start a new sticky on the delta forum for people who need advice on how to leave delta. It will be a first for FT. How to move your loyalty to another airline.

I'm done with delta.
Quote: I think we should start a new sticky on the delta forum for people who need advice on how to leave delta. It will be a first for FT. How to move your loyalty to another airline.
I think this is a great idea. ^^

I am nothing more than a 150k MQM/year Delta MR'er.

I am thinking about moving to AA to earn a bunch of RDMs.
How do we status match to AA? I am lucky to live in LA where I have plenty of choices...
Quote: How do we status match to AA? I am lucky to live in LA where I have plenty of choices...
AA doesn't do status matches but they will do status challenges for AA GLD and AA PLAT (I don't think AA does EXP challenges).

Depending on what you value out of an elite program, you could also consider AS and credit any AA or DL flights (at least until AS and DL finally settle the divorce) you take to AS.
Quote: Unfortunately for everyone that leaves others come on board. I was one of the subjects of a WSJ article a few years back (WSJ misspelled my last name, lol) where a DL spokesperson actually is on record stating such. It's pitiful but it's the truth, airlines can get away with this when biz travel is up and demand is high like it is now.
I think you misunderstand. Nobody is necessarily "leaving", but adapting to the new circumstances.
I will still like to fly Delta, but won't credit to Skymiles or use the AMEX credit card. And I am sure, AMEX will NOT get new clients for the ones they are losing. Don't forget: credit card land is not nearly as oligarchic as the airline industry. There are just too many good credit card options out there as replacement for AMEX DL.
Quote: AA doesn't do status matches but they will do status challenges for AA GLD and AA PLAT (I don't think AA does EXP challenges).

Depending on what you value out of an elite program, you could also consider AS and credit any AA or DL flights (at least until AS and DL finally settle the divorce) you take to AS.
Yes, AA does EXP challenges. Not all the time, but they do.
Quote: So what.
We were comparing credit card options, not discussing if you should fly Delta or not.
The simple math is that if 1 Skymile < $0.01, a 2% cash back card is more valuable compared to AMEX Delta.
Perhaps you were comparing CCs. I was not. Nor is the majority of this thread.
Quote: Nor is the majority of this thread.
Speak for yourself.
Quote: What is weird is that people complain incessantly on this board, but in the end do nothing about it.
I'm increasingly going free agent. This YTD, only 13/28 segments have been on DL. Sometimes they're the best option, more often they're not.
Quote: The effects of dynamic pricing can now clearly be seen in the award booking process. Importantly, your origin now seems to impact your pricing.

For example, I searched two passengers between LAX and SYD in business class on the DL non-stop. All dates booked into OK (Peak) but the pricing more than doubled on the same flights if you originated your travel in SYD instead of LAX.

LAX-SYD one-way: 175k
SYD-LAX one-way: 375k
LAX-SYD-LAX round trip: 350k
SYD-LAX-SYD round trip: 750k

This same pattern is seen for other markets too. For example, ATL-CDG. Peak pricing if you originate in ATL is 147,500 one way or each way of your round trip. The same flights are 375,000 one way or each way of a round trip if you originate in CDG.
Did some more searching on this. The international origination "penalty" seems to be in effect for trips originating in Europe, Africa, Middle East, and Southwest Pacific. Not sure about Asia - couldn't find a route that had only peak seats available. It does not seem to be in effect for trips originating in the Caribbean or South America. It seems to affect the pricing of peak travel only - the other tiers seem to remain as before.
SkyMiles July Announcements
Quote: Speak for yourself.
Ok. My casual review of the 300ish posts in this thread as well as as second look at the post by wschild I originally quoted indicates, to me, that my original statement and most of this thread about new redemption amounts, RUCs, and upgrades was not centered around the Amex CCs.

I was making a point about the relative value of RDMs as a rebate on DL airfare (regardless of payment method) vs. a standard 1% or 2% cash back program.

I apologize that my lack of absolute clarity on what I was talking about allowed others to derail that point.

They have begun to process RUCs on the transcons.

I received a voicemail and then an email that confirmed my RUC upgrade LAX-JFK in early August. I was surprised as the seat map in D1 was over half full (yes I know that it's not always indicative, but still).

Called and confirmed that they will continue to process complimentary upgrades for DMs through July 31.
Well, I have 1.3 + million skymiles (sky feet?) in my account. No way I'll use them before next summer. Good news is I retire end of August, and will have flexibility to book based on best availability vice when I can get time off.

Why do I have such a balance? I couldn't make myself book at the exorbitantly high redemption rates.
Anyone notice that the current pricing levels for upgrade awards isn't on the website any more either? I thought the current upgrade mileage amounts used to be listed... or did I just miss when it get pulled some time ago?