Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About WiFi Availability and Service on UA Flights [2015-onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:38 pm

Questions/Discussion About WiFi Availability and Service on UA Flights [2015-onward]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

United Airlines is on track to provide wireless inflight Internet access on all Australian routes by July this year, and remains the only airline to offer the service to Aussie travellers when crossing the Pacific.
Included on the roster are flights from Sydney to both Los Angeles and San Francisco and the short hops from Cairns to Guam, with Melbourne already enjoying connectivity on United’s LA runs aboard its Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner.
http://www.ausbt.com.au/united-airli...lights-by-july
Old Feb 9, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Questions/Discussion About WiFi Availability and Service on UA Flights [2015 Thread]

Sorry for what seems like a basic question.

I recall looking online and in my app one time and seeing information about if my upcoming flight was equipped with WiFi. I am thinking though that it might have been after I checked-in.

Is there a way to do it before? The flight detail information doesn't have anything that I can find.

I guess I can assign a probability based on the aircraft type, but there has goto to be a better solution.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...i/default.aspx

Thanks
Old Feb 9, 2015, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
The flight detail information doesn't have anything that I can find.
If your flight has wifi, the flight status information will so state.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
If your flight has wifi, the flight status information will so state.
Right but the flight is more than 2 days out. FIS doesn't give me deets on anything beyond 2 or 3 days out.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Right but the flight is more than 2 days out. FIS doesn't give me deets on anything beyond 2 or 3 days out.
What's your aircraft?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
What's your aircraft?
Well ... 3 actually...

737 = unlikely
777 = 59 percent shot. (longest leg to and back)
319 = yes
Old Feb 9, 2015, 4:45 pm

I guess I can assign a probability based on the aircraft type, but there has goto to be a better solution.
Right now there is no better solution more than a couple days out, and even that is subject to change as aircraft are reassigned for operational reasons. That said, there are quite a few subfleets which are at 100% or so close to it that odds are significantly in your favor (e.g. 739, 752ps, A319, A320, sCO 772) . And there are subfleets where the progress is so close to nil that you're almost guaranteed to not have it (sUA 752 non-ps).

But there is no good rule otherwise for patterns of where you'll find it.
Well ... 3 actually...

737 = unlikely
777 = 59 percent shot. (longest leg to and back)
319 = yes
The numbers you've assigned for the 772 and the 737 can be narrowed significantly if you know the subfleet. Is the 772 sCO or sUA? Which 737 type is on the schedule?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Right now there is no better solution more than a couple days out, and even that is subject to change as aircraft are reassigned for operational reasons. That said, there are quite a few subfleets which are at 100% or so close to it that odds are significantly in your favor (e.g. 739, 752ps, A319, A320, sCO 772) . And there are subfleets where the progress is so close to nil that you're almost guaranteed to not have it (sUA 752 non-ps).
Thanks. I know I had seen a screen that gave me the information and was concerned that I was missing something. It was most likely in the app after check in. It does sound like the new site *(if it ever launches) will give better information though.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rogram-22.html

The numbers you've assigned for the 772 and the 737 can be narrowed significantly if you know the subfleet. Is the 772 sCO or sUA? Which 737 type is on the schedule?
It's a 737-700 so I'm just assuming no on that one.
The long one is a 777-200 so better than 50/50 but a toss up.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
It's easy enough to look more than three days out, but the chances of it not changing in that time are slim
Old Feb 9, 2015, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
It's easy enough to look more than three days out, but the chances of it not changing in that time are slim
So how do I look at it more than 3 days out?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 5:56 pm

Wi fi

All A320 and 319'shave wi fi
for the rest as stated above check flight status
Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:31 pm

The long one is a 777-200 so better than 50/50 but a toss up.
Is it a 2-cabin or 3-cabin 777? If the former odds are strongly in your favor (20/22 fitted).
Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:34 pm

So how do I look at it more than 3 days out?
Use the mobile United site on a desktop or laptop version of an internet browser

m.united.com
load up the flight status of your flight today - hit enter
in the address bar change the date to yours - hit enter

that should do it
Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Use the mobile United site on a desktop or laptop version of an internet browser

m.united.com
load up the flight status of your flight today - hit enter
in the address bar change the date to yours - hit enter

that should do it
Odds of having an aircraft assigned further out are low. Odds of it sticking even if it is assigned are also not spectacular.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:48 pm

Odds of having an aircraft assigned further out are low. Odds of it sticking even if it is assigned are also not spectacular.
Completely agree, that's why I noted that caveat, but the trick has many uses, so not entirely a waste of time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.