Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: 2015 or Prior AA Miles and Points Math Calculations

Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: Combined AA Miles and Points Math Calculations - 2015 or before

This Help Desk thread is now closed and existed to request help with calculating Miles and Points garnered from AA and partner travel prior to the implementation of Elite Qualifying Dollars and dropping of EQ Points 1 Jan 2016.

NOTE: Elite status requirements and EQ Miles change, EQ Points eliminated, January 1, 2016!

NOTE: View My Miles page on AA.com does not provide a detailed breakdown of miles and points credited for each flight.
Important terms to understand:
  • Base Miles* and EQM = Elite Qualifying Miles (for status calculation, earned on AA, oneworld and eligible partners flights) - are also RDM)

• EQP = Elite Qualifying Points (not spendable, count only for status calculations)

• RDM = Redeemable Miles, AKA what AA used to call "prize-winning miles" on aa.com, usable for awards (these are not EQ Miles, such as bonus or credit card miles, and do not count in calculating status)

• Bonus miles include elite status (25% Gold, 100% Platinum and Executive Platinum) and class of service miles, non-EQM bonus miles promos, etc. These bonus miles are redeemable miles, and they do not factor in EQ Points or status calculations.

• MM Miles = Million Miler Miles - Actual base (EQ) miles flown on AA and qualifying oneworld and partner airlines (no 500 mile minimum applies)

• Minimum miles guarantees for Elites: Airline flights earning minimum mileage guarantees display as below:

Originally Posted by Focke
    Had a short flight from Orly to LHR last month, miles posted as 227 EQM and 773 bonus? Is this how mileage minimums work on BA?

Description Date Mileage Bonus Total
    BRITISH AIRWAYS 0331 M ORY LHR 5/31/15 227 773 1,000
    You will receive the minimum of 500 minimum guaranteed EQM; you will only be able to discern that if you keep track of the Total displays.
*AA uses the term Base Miles (Elite Qualifying) in their mileage earning charts now. These are occasionally referred to on FT as "Butt-in-seat" or "BIS" miles.
NOTE: "through" flights, those holding the same flight numbers but making stops between origin and departure, will only earn miles, points and segments as if they were nonstop flights, regardless of whether the is a change of aircraft or "change of gauge". The only exception are those flights using the same flight number for outbound and return sectors, which will post separately (e.g. in the case of classic mile runs).
NOTE: We will change the wiki and threads when the changes on EQM and RDM (and subsequent elimination of EQP) occur.
Also see:

Help Understanding Points / Miles (& segments): EQM vs EQP on AA (merged threads)

McFlyPHL's Excel spreadsheet AAdvantage Miles Tracker v1.9.xls

brp's modified Excel spreadsheet AAdvantage Miles Tracker v1.3brp.xls

Great Circle Mapper for calculating miles: http://gc.kls2.com/

Pre-consolidation thread (2009-2015): ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Miles and Points Math Calculations (closed to new posts)

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum

Am new Plat flyer with AA. Just examined my latest statement and realized there is no way to obtain a breakdown of status points accumulation. Check with service desk, including a supervisor, revealed that this info is not available to the member online. Anywhere. They can accumulate it but can't show the breakdown.

This is like my bank sending me a statement at the end of the month, with just a total figure.

Ridiculous.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Help Desk: AA Miles and Points Math

AA Miles and Points Math is a frequent source of confusion, as the View My Miles page on AA.com does not provide a detailed breakdown of miles and points credited for each flight. As our family now includes many members from US Airways Dividend Miles who may be unclear on how different types of accruals are calculated, this Help Desk has been created in the Combined forum to assist members getting answers. The previous AA Miles and Points Math Help Desk thread in the pre-merger AA forum is archived and visible here.

There are three important terms to understand:
Base Miles* and EQM = elite qualifying miles
EQP = elite qualifying points
RDM = redeemable miles
*AA uses the term Base Miles (elite status qualifying) and Base Miles in their mileage earning charts now. These are occasionally referred to on FT as "Butt-in-seat" or "BIS" miles. Each elite qualifying mile will also be awarded as a redeemable mile, and other bonus miles may be awarded as well depending on fare, airline and elite status. Only these "base" miles count as elite qualifying miles. Generally elites will earn a minimum "base miles" per segment, so when the minimum kicks in the user will earn extra redeemable and elite qualifying miles to bring him or her up to the minimum for that segment.

AAdvantage members can qualify for annual elite status based on either EQM, EQP or segments. In general, other than by reaching spend thresholds on certain specific AA credit cards, the only way to earn EQM and EQP is by flying (butt-in-seat). Conversely, RDM are miles from all sources (flying, bonuses, credit cards, etc.) and these are the miles that can be redeemed for awards. Note especially that Challenges are based solely on EQP (not EQM), while lifetime status is based on RDM.

A detailed explanation of mileage and point calculations can be found in the wiki page below. The basics are as follows: Passengers fly one Base Mile and earn one EQM (which is also one RDM) for each mile flown on AA; elite members receive a minimum of 500 EQM and 500 RDM per segment on AA or US marketed flights. EQP are calculated as a function of EQM, based on the fare class purchased (not flown). Elites and those purchasing premium fares also receive bonus RDM.

Passengers can also receive EQM, EQP, and RDM on oneworld partners and Alaska Airlines, subject to certain fare restrictions and accrual rules. Passengers on most other partner airlines receive RDM only. N.B. Base miles may be none to a percentage or full flown miles on partners; it is crucial to check partner "miles awarded" charts to determine if, or how many, Base Miles will be granted, whether those miles are elite qualifying, and what multiplier will be applied to EQM to arrive at the number of EQP. Start here.

For flight entries on the View My Miles page, the Mileage column shows actual miles flown while the Bonus column shows elite minimum and bonus RDM lumped together. Some FlyerTalkers maintain their own spreadsheets and save intermediate versions of their AA statements (or YTD values) to ensure that all of their flights post correctly.

Please see the following resources for full details on AA Miles and Points, as well as miles calculations:
Wiki: Miles and Points

AA.com: Minimum Mileage Guarantee (Elites only as of 2009)

Great Circle Mapper: Link

McFlyPHL's Spreadsheet:AAdvantage Miles Tracker v1.9.xls

brp's Spreadsheet: AAdvantage Miles Tracker v1.3brp.xls

bniu's iPhone App: AA Mileage Calculator (thread)

The AA Miles and Points Math Help Desk

To assist members with questions about AA Miles and Points that they have not been able to answer on their own using the above resources, the AA Moderator team has established this, the second in a series "Help Desk" threads.

New threads on this topic will be merged into this one and bumped by the moderators as necessary. As such, we do not expect that this thread will develop into a searchable database, but that it will nonetheless provide a valuable resource to members. As well, we may shed / pare down posts from time to time to a trailing thread or similar device.

Our goal is to provide a place where members can feel welcome to post such questions and expect helpful, accurate responses. In this way, we hope to accommodate the needs and desires of both new and veteran members - those who aren't sure they are interpreting the available resources correctly can ask for help without fear of snarky-appearing responses; those who do not wish to participate in such threads are invited and, indeed, encouraged, to ignore this thread.

Please be forewarned: This thread will be subject to heavy moderation. Posts that are incorrect will be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST answers unless you are 100% sure your answer is complete and correct. Posts that are unhelpful or off-topic will also be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST unless you can be friendly, helpful, concise, and salient.

Finally, a few guidelines for members posting queries to this thread:
  • Please DO make an effort to review the above resources before posting here.
  • Please DO try to give as much information as possible related to your flights, including elite status, class-of-service, and fare class.
  • Please DO understand it could take some time for answers (especially on holidays and weekends.)
  • Please DO thank helpful members volunteering to reply to your questions.
Sincerely,
The AA Moderator Team

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 27, 2015 at 4:45 am
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by follonica2
Am new Plat flyer with AA. Just examined my latest statement and realized there is no way to obtain a breakdown of status points accumulation. Check with service desk, including a supervisor, revealed that this info is not available to the member online. Anywhere. They can accumulate it but can't show the breakdown.

This is like my bank sending me a statement at the end of the month, with just a total figure.

Ridiculous.
AA tracks too many numbers to present simply to the customer. Your bank may only tracks dollars (and maybe reward points) and that's a breeze. AA has MM miles, program miles, EQMs, EQPs, EQSs, RDMs, Bonus miles, and BIS miles. And some are not as straight forward as you would hope (i.e. 500 EQM minimum).

Personally, I use a spreadsheet to track what I have flown and what I am planning on flying. This allows me to see how I should end the year and determine if a MR or two (or more) are needed to keep/make status. I've grown my to include tracking flight/layover times to plan activities (meals, club access, and hotel selections).

I was overwhelmed when first moving to AA. Many travellers will know how they expect to qualify (miles, points, segments) and can focus on that keeping their tracking info as simple as they can.

Welcome to mAAth.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Sorry, I don't buy the too many numbers statement. United has just as many numbers and manages to track and clearly present qualifying activity (EQMs there). AA dropped this particular ball. I shudder to think what else I'll find.

And spreadsheets are not everyone's forte. I can and do use them, and it looks like I'll have to here.

I stand by my original statement.

Ridiculous.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by follonica2
Sorry, I don't buy the too many numbers statement. United has just as many numbers and manages to track and clearly present qualifying activity (EQMs there). AA dropped this particular ball. I shudder to think what else I'll find.

And spreadsheets are not everyone's forte. I can and do use them, and it looks like I'll have to here.

I stand by my original statement.

Ridiculous.
I never said it wasn't. Just what it's been and will likely remain. I've been exclusive (pretty much) to AA for going on 20 years so I've adapted.

If you do some searching (both here and Google) you'll probably find an existing sheet that will work for you. I built my own and added to it over time.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Actually, a columnar pad and #2 pencil could easily handle tracking the elite points.

But that's not my point, pun semi-intended. Members shouldn't have to do the work themselves. In 2015, it's inexcusable.

So, what other little programming inAAdequacies do I have to look forward to?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
MCO CLT 468 Qualifying Miles?

Recently flew US MCO to CLT and my account shows only a 468 mile credit for EQM. Is that the new policy? I thought the 500 mile rules was untouched. What am I missing here?

Description US AIRWAYS 0746 Y MCO CLT
Date 04/16/15
Mileage 468
Bonus 532
Total 1,000

The million miler tab shows same. 468 miles.

Last edited by PepeBorja; Apr 26, 2015 at 6:09 pm
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That line does not indicate what the annual EQM earning was

It simply shows base miles, plus the rest displayed as bonus miles

The annual EQM count will have increased by 500
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:11 pm

The million miler tab shows 468.

Is there a link where I can see the earnings like the us air site had where it displayed all 3 amounts at once?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I flew DFW-AUS (183 miles) earlier this month. My million miler status reflects 183 (actual miles flown) and my Activity reflects 183 mileage plus 817 bonus, for a total of 1000 RDM (500 x 2 since I am AA PLAT).

However, I can assure you that 500 EQMs posted because I track my EQMs as they post.

Assuming you continue to be elite (your profiles lists US Plat so I assume you are now AA PLAT?) you will have received 500 EQM and should see 532 in the 'Bonus' column next to the 468 mileage in your activity.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by PepeBorja
Is there a link where I can see the earnings like the us air site had where it displayed all 3 amounts at once?
Unfortunately no. AA does not itemize EQM (or EQP) accrual anywhere. (Would be nice if they did)
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:25 pm

Profile is outdated. Was Chairman now PLAT EXEC.

I'm in the trust but verify camp. Be nice to see how the needle moves.

So the Million Miler is about real miles flown but get 500 EQM minimum?

I'm on MIA-MCO plan right now. Will take a screen shot of my account now and then when things post.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:39 pm

Right, as an AA Elite you will receive the 500 mile EQM minimum. I track all of my expected EQMs in a spreadsheet to make sure they post as expected and that the total is accurate. Hopefully AA will someday rid me of the need to do this
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Recently flew US MCO to CLT and my account shows only a 468 mile credit for EQM. Is that the new policy? I thought the 500 mile rules was untouched. What am I missing here?

Description US AIRWAYS 0746 Y MCO CLT
Date 04/16/15
Mileage 468
Bonus 532
Total 1,000

The million miler tab shows same. 468 miles.
The true mileage is 468 miles. Therefore, a bonus of 32 miles is required to meet the 500-mile minimum. Add that to your 100% Platinum bonus and you get the 532 Bonus mileage.

I think they break it up like this because the million miler total is based on true miles, not minimum miles.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
The million miler tab shows 468.
The MM counter does not use the minimum miles, only miles actually flown.

Sadly, no.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.