Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Automatic Upgrades on US-operated flights (new program 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note: this thread replaces the thread in the US forum on automatic upgrades on US flights. The latest of these threads is here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation/1642741-us-automatic-upgrades-elite-master-thread-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum

I'm a Chairman's Preferred (now Exec Plat) and have a mid-after noon flight from BOS to PHL on Wednesday. Expert flyer shows 7 A upgrades available but I've gotten two emails saying no upgrade yes/available. Seems strange.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Yahtzee
I'm a Chairman's Preferred (now Exec Plat) and have a mid-after noon flight from BOS to PHL on Wednesday. Expert flyer shows 7 A upgrades available but I've gotten two emails saying no upgrade yes/available. Seems strange.
Comp/500 mile upgrades pull from the X bucket, while miles/SWUs pull from A (for domestic, Y>F and intl J>F). Not odd to see A7 and not have it clear. AA has been holding back upgrades till much closer to departure since the end~ of last year.

I've found that if mine upgrades don't clear at the EP window, they'll usually happen day of departure.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Comp/500 mile upgrades pull from the X bucket, while miles/SWUs pull from A (for domestic, Y>F and intl J>F). Not odd to see A7 and not have it clear. AA has been holding back upgrades till much closer to departure since the end~ of last year.

I've found that if mine upgrades don't clear at the EP window, they'll usually happen day of departure.
Thanks. I'm new to expert flyer and have much to learn. X does show 0.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I'm doing PHL-BOS roundtrip this week and for the outbound on Tuesday, it was showing A8 X0 on Saturday, but I cleared early Sunday morning - wouldn't worry too much yet. With roughly 18 flights on the route daily, it's more or less a shuttle service, and I've had decent luck getting upgrades on walkup bookings as well as moving up as this seems to be one of the routes where a lot of folks seem to make last minute changes frequently.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
I find that upgrades at the regular window now clear into X. Later than that (such as OLCI), they will often clear into A.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phlwookie
I'm doing PHL-BOS roundtrip this week and for the outbound on Tuesday, it was showing A8 X0 on Saturday, but I cleared early Sunday morning - wouldn't worry too much yet. With roughly 18 flights on the route daily, it's more or less a shuttle service, and I've had decent luck getting upgrades on walkup bookings as well as moving up as this seems to be one of the routes where a lot of folks seem to make last minute changes frequently.
And so it cleared this morning. Now, if I could just get the pesky folks to stay away from an upcoming SFO-ORD flight . . .
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm now a plat on Aadvantage and got cleared for a fc upgrade at t-3. I didn't request an upgrade on this leg and was surprised to get that email. Anyone know the deal?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by dubstyle311
I'm now a plat on Aadvantage and got cleared for a fc upgrade at t-3. I didn't request an upgrade on this leg and was surprised to get that email. Anyone know the deal?
Is your flight operated by US? If so, then upgrade procedures are those outlined in the Wikipost at the top of this thread.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:57 pm

US Airways upgrades

Just hit AA platinum through the challenge. Booked a bunch of flights on usairways.com operated by USAir. I am aware of the free automatic upgrade requests. Should I be expecting an email at 72 hours? What do I do if I don't get one? Do I just wait patiently till boarding or should I be asking someone for the upgrade? Is there access to a list like AA provides on their app? route is from airports in Miami, FL area to PHL

please reference personal experiences
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Is the flight <500 miles? Those are auto-requested.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Carl
Is the flight <500 miles? Those are auto-requested.
Nope. FLL>PHL. Just under 1000
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:21 pm

Nope. FLL>PHL. Just under 1000
Are you sure it's not a US flight? I don't know why AA would be operating a flight to a US hub, and I can't find one listed after a cursory look at a typical schedule.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Carl
Are you sure it's not a US flight? I don't know why AA would be operating a flight to a US hub, and I can't find one listed after a cursory look at a typical schedule.
It's def operated by Us. I was under the impression all UDU were done after dividend miles was discontinued. It appears not?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:42 pm

It's def operated by Us. I was under the impression all UDU were done after dividend miles was discontinued. It appears not?
The only change on US is that EXP upgrades now clear at T-4 rather than T-7.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:35 am

If I'm traveling with a non-status companion and there are upgrade seats available but no adjacent seats, will they upgrade us automatically anyway or will they just give the seats to the next 2 in the list?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.