Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NYC area Monday, 2 Feb 2015, more bad weather / disrupted flight ops {Waiver issued}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkr
Waived posted 31 Jan 2015 (roughly 7:30PM Eastern)
Northeast Winter Weather

Airports:
Albany, NY (ALB)
Allentown, PA (ABE)
Boston, MA (BOS)
Buffalo, NY (BUF)
Burlington, VT (BTV)
College Station, PA (SCE)
Harrisburg, PA (MDT)
Hartford, CT (BDL)
Manchester, NH (MHT)
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)
New York, NY (JFK)
New York, NY (LGA - LaGuardia)
Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
Pittsburg, PA (PIT)
Portland, ME (PWM)
Providence, RI (PVD)
Syracuse, NY (SYR)
White Plains, NY (HPN)
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA (AVP)

Original Travel Dates: February 2, 2015

Changing to earlier or later flights is allowed.

Final Travel must be completed by: End of Validity of ticket (one year from date of issue)​​

Flight Changes: When rescheduled travel commences by February 2, 2015, change fees and fare differences will be waived.
Travel may be rescheduled in any fare class, same cabin.
For all other dates and ticket uses, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply.
Weather Channel updated forecast 2/2 12:48 am EST
18-24 inches snow just west of Boston
morning freezing rain and road icing NYC, 5" snow later
Link to Weather channel videos:
http://www.weather.com/storms/winter...ce-new-england

Weather Channel updated forecast 6:27 AM EST 2/2

6PM NYC serious road icing problems
All snow event much of New England

http://www.weather.com/storms/winter...ce-new-england

​​
Print Wikipost

NYC area Monday, 2 Feb 2015, more bad weather / disrupted flight ops {Waiver issued}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond

Forecast for late Sunday/Monday is 100% chance for 3-5 inches of snow with 20mph winds.

http://www.weather.com/weather/5day/l/USNJ0355:1:US

Last edited by milesmilesmiles; Jan 30, 2015 at 8:23 am Reason: Corrected dates
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
JFK weather advice for Monday, Feb 2, 2015

I have a PS transcon ex-JFK on Monday afternoon. Forecast calling for 3-6 inches of snow...no travel waiver yet. Anybody have enough JFK experience to know if this amount of snow cancels most flights....or just delays? (I know it depends). I'd like to stick with my original date, but want to decide in advance in the event a change waiver comes up.... Any thoughts on how to play it?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If your preference is to fly that day then don't make a change until that is no longer viable.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Depends heavily on what mass transit does. If the subways and busses shut down, you can expect cancellations rather than delays.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
I have a longhaul out of EWR also... Im eager to see what they do!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Snow totals moving up to 5 to 8 inches
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mduell
Depends heavily on what mass transit does. If the subways and busses shut down, you can expect cancellations rather than delays.
It is quite unlikely that a forecast of 3-6" will shut down transit.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Typically, for NYC's winter storm to adversely impact ground transportaions - especially trains (including AirTrain) and subways, snowfalls would need to be 10" or more and/or combined with icing and high wind conditions. MTA has invested in snow removal equipments in the past few years along with lessons from Sandy, so it's better prepared. See this MTA page for useful info
As expected, the forecast for this Sunday night - into Monday morning, post Super Bowl, is all over, anywhere from 3" to as high as 10" in the city, before the media monkeys add in the Groundhog for fun - it's probably more reliable to use mass transit to get to the airports, just allow extra time - highways, main roads and side streets could be far worst. But, the main unknown this time is the extreme cold temperature and wind, which can result in frozen switches and signal problems - heck, we get that on a nice & sunny day for regular commuters all the time. The key is to allow extra travel time and if one's travel plans are flexible, have plan B and C available.
B6, and DL have started posting travel waivers for this weekend, expect UA to follow at some time (if not already or shortly thereof today) as the clock ticked & get closer to the final hours. BWI/DCA/IAD aren't on the short list for these waivers as they aren't expecting a big snowstorm in the mid-Atlantic. AccuWeather is on the high side and TWC on the low side with accumulations, at this moment. Historically, JFK is pretty good with getting overseas/long hauls and transcon in & out, as long as they can plow & clear the runways and keep up with deicing the birds - flights will be delayed so "mind" those connections closely .

Last edited by Letitride3c; Jan 30, 2015 at 10:51 pm Reason: corrections
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
B6, DL and even AA have started posting travel waivers for this weekend, expect UA to follow at some time (if not already or shortly thereof today) as the clock ticked & get closer to the final hours.
AA has a waiver posted? I don't see one as of 9:30PM Pacific.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
AA has a waiver posted? I don't see one as of 9:30PM Pacific.
Thanks, corrected comments above ... Oops, was just doing a quick glance - waiver was for the last NYC storm and New England, the one in place now from AA is for Central US. Nothing specific for NYC airports yet from AA or UA ... waiting for updated weather forecasts from the experts, no doubt.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Looks like it's been downgraded...

TWC showing "rain to snow", 1" worth...
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:55 am

I don't see a downgrade at all. I see a Winter Weather Watch; for 6-10" of snow and freezing rain for EWR at least.

How close, typically, do UA release these waivers? And, do they typically open up F seats to saver F awards for flights the next day?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:27 am
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
watch out, CNN might break out out the blizzardmobile again...

In all seriousness, I would expect a waiver sooner or later... if the storm has the same intensity they are predicting here in ORD... then it will be bad
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:42 am

Keeping one eye out for a waiver..! They really do leave it last minute eh?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Keeping one eye out for a waiver..! They really do leave it last minute eh?
Yes, UA and other airlines get a lot of revenue from 'broken' tickets - i.e., ones where people don't actually fly their booked itineraries. Waivers dilute broken ticket revenue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.