Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What to do with unused 2014 upgrade codes (no offers/trading here)

Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
This thread is for general topics about giving away Alaska Airlines Gold Guest Upgrade, such as policies for who they can be given to, ideas for how to gift them to others, who can best benefit from them, etc. This thread should not be used for any actual offers or requests for gifts or trades; those now belong in The Coupon Connection, which does have specific requirements to qualify for access to. If you qualify for acccess, you can find The Coupon Connection in your list of forums at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php. Any offers or requests for upgrade certificates will be deleted from this thread by the moderators.

Policies and Best Practices:
  • Upgrade certificates are freely transferable and can be used by anyone without restriction. (They are indeed titled "Gold Guest Upgrades" and intended to be given away.)
  • In order to transfer, simply provide the recipient your Gold Guest Upgrade certificate code, or ask for your guest's record locator and process the upgrade yourself on the AS website.
  • Remember that GGUs can only be used on certain fare classes and only if U space is open (and that they must be applied in real-time and cannot be waitlisted). It's best to confirm that the recipient is flying on a qualified fare and that U space is open before giving away your code.

Ideas for giving them away:
  • The Giveaway thread in the Coupon Connection forum here on FlyerTalk: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coupo...ay-thread.html
  • Missy has more than she can use already. Please DO NOT PM her asking for upgrades. They do not belong to her, and she will not be giving them away other than through the USO. PM codes to missydarlin, who volunteers at the SeaTac USO and will use your codes to upgrade members of the military traveling during the holiday season
  • Your real family and friends
  • Your Facebook friends

Please feel free to edit this wiki with any other notes or ideas or things we should know.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium

Looks like I'll end up forfeiting a grand total of one - couldn't justify an extra $60 outbound SEA - LAX on an $88 seat. A case where the old system of locking in First on any published fare would've helped.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
soon, there will be a thread where you can "donate" unused codes to other FTers
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I had thought donating codes was more difficult than sending paper certs?

I sometimes ask other passengers about their codes, and am surprised by how many shrug it off with "I don't bother with that!"
or a similar response.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger

I sometimes ask other passengers about their codes, and am surprised by how many shrug it off with "I don't bother with that!"
or a similar response.
using other people's codes is very easy, arguably more easy than i'd like it to be!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

or a similar response.
Next Monday the code donation thread will open up...it's actually easier than paper certs that you had to mail...now you just PM the electronic code and it's done. I agree though...I think there are far more unused upgrade certs than there use to be since many (like myself) can't justify paying a lot of $$ to upgrade a flight that I will more than likely get anyway at the lower fare when my upgrade window opens....so are 100% as an MVP this year (PDX-SLC, SLC-PDX, PDX-PVR, PVR-PDX) so yeah, unless it's SEA-EWR or something more competitive upgrade-wise, I'll usually buy the cheaper fare and take my chances
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I agree though...I think there are far more unused upgrade certs than there use to be since many (like myself) can't justify paying a lot of $$ to upgrade a flight that I will more than likely get anyway at the lower fare when my upgrade window opens
i find them the most useful for (a) highly competitive routes (b) flights where i have absolutely no tolerance for the prospect of coach or (c) work trips where i don't have the flexibility of booking a cheap fare on advanced notice. these are often purchased when my waitlist position prioritized by time of purchase might be questionable and thus not worth the risk.

i did use them this week for a CA->HI flight in 2015, but only because i had access to a bunch of 2014 expiring codes and nothing else to use them on. interestingly F was half full already (>5 months in advance, verified by inventory loads and seat map) on one of the two flights i booked, so perhaps that was a good cert use anyways.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I honestly didn't intend to jump into the give-away game, but was more interested in the issue of whether folks tend to use them or not?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:33 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
I honestly didn't intend to jump into the give-away game, but was more interested in the issue of whether folks tend to use them or not?
mine usually get burnt up between ANC/ORD but now I may have a new routing after Q2 next year ^
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Spent my last two upgrading my parents PDX-HNL for Christmas. Fares are high, but with companion pass and grand kids to visit, they thought it was worth it. The upgrades are gravy for them and a great use of the certs for me.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Spent my last two upgrading my parents PDX-HNL for Christmas. Fares are high, but with companion pass and grand kids to visit, they thought it was worth it. The upgrades are gravy for them and a great use of the certs for me.
Fares are high is an understatement...January 3rd the lowest one way fare between HNL and PDX is over $2000...yikes!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Fares are high is an understatement...January 3rd the lowest one way fare between HNL and PDX is over $2000...yikes!
Yikes! Theirs were bad, but not nearly that bad.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:08 pm

Another option for these codes is to give them to MissyDarlin and ask that they be used to upgrade traveling military members or others who look like they could use a nice free perk. All Missy needs is your coupon number, super simple.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
I used every one of mine, although a couple I probably would have cleared the normal way. I held some of them until late in the year.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Are the upgrades use by or fly by 12/31/14?

I see a lot of mixed postings here on FT.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
Are the upgrades use by or fly by 12/31/14?

I see a lot of mixed postings here on FT.
use by the exp date and OK for use on future travel.

two days ago, i just used 4x 12/31/14 codes for travel in May 2015. no issues at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.