Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

PLEASE NOTE: Please use this thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. Attacks on individuals or groups - members with differing opinions, pre-merger AA or US flyers, lifetime status holders, mileage runners, etc. WILL NOT BE TOLERATED;posts containing such will be subject to summary deletion (moderators may do so rather than merely redact inappropriate or disruptive content), and members posting such repeatedly may be subject to sanctions defined in the Rules / TOS.

This thread has been dedicated for "REACTION and DISCUSSION" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio in the "JUST THE FACTS" parallel thread, allowing members to find germane information about the announced AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles) program there.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.
Print Wikipost

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

This thread has been split from the original, now re titled "JUST THE FACTS" thread to allow free discussion to flow without hiding posts made in the former thread and losing facts and information among discussion and "feelings" type posts.

Some may be experiencing feelings of loss and anger; it's common when we have change imposed on us we have no control over; let's not let that spill over on esch other. It's time to cut others some slack, share some empathy and help others deal with the sharp and pointy bits of this merger.

The FT Rules are still in effect. Name calling, being uncivil and bashing each other will not be tolerated. Let's remember what FT is about - being welcoming and helpful to each other.

The other thread is:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...acts-only.html

Thank you.

AA fora Moderation Team

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 6, 2014 at 10:59 am
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Bump to get this up there.

For my part, I'm sure some will be upset at the 120 segment requirement (AFAIK brought over from US), and many more at the loss of 75k status.

OTOH lifetime miles may now be accrued on all oneworld flights flown in eligible miles-earning fare classes.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 29, 2014 at 3:24 pm
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I'll sum up my reaction coming from the US side of the house: it sucks.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Originally Posted by Superguy
Other than the additional system wide upgrades I agree with you, the new Executive Platinum benefits truly suck compared to the old Chairman's preferred. And for those unfortunate US flyers who won't reach the 100,000 miles/points or 120 segments, it probably sucks even more.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Speedracer2
Other than the additional system wide upgrades I agree with you, the new Executive Platinum benefits truly suck compared to the old Chairman's preferred. And for those unfortunate US flyers who won't reach the 100,000 miles/points or 120 segments, it probably sucks even more.
I'm dropping to plat next year. So I miss out on the 8 SWUs, and I wasn't earning stickers either. Doubly screwed.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone who was surprised by the stickers, 3 levels, etc hasn't been paying attention.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Superguy
Ha! Concise!

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Anyone who was surprised by ...3 levels, etc hasn't been paying attention.
I've been paying attention and I wouldn't agree there.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Anyone who was surprised by the stickers, 3 levels, etc hasn't been paying attention.
Well, the "splitting the difference" over the stickers and the 3 elite levels were both a surprise to me. I thought I had been paying attention for a reasonably decent period of time.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I guess I'm in the minority - I never really thought going to four levels or UDU was going to happen.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I guess I'm in the minority - I never really thought going to four levels or UDU was going to happen.
I was very concerned that it was going to happen actually. I had DP & Co pegged as the type who would be blindly following DL and UA into the abyss, especially after the catastrophe of the new domestic meals and service products. Perhaps they were taking note on how enraged the AA base was over that change and decided not to further piss us off...

Thus far it seems:
Round 1, Domestic Meals --> US
Round 2, AAdvantage --> AA

What's up next I wonder...
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Platinum
I just cant believe they retroactively screwed the US Platinum's. Dougie must really hate US Platinum's to wait until late October to tell them all their extra flying was worthless. Earn most of the year assuming a benefit for 2015 and then find out it will only last a few months into 2015. Talk about bait and switch. I was going for US Platinum assuming there was no way they could take the level away for next year this late in 2014, wow was I wrong. Thankfully I haven't gotten too close and there is still time to at least only drop to Silver on Delta.

I also really cant believe they went with the anachronistic AA program that is stuck in a 1980's time warp. Stickers?!? Really! US implemented unlimited upgrades a decade or more ago and everyone else has since. AA is clinging to stickers and living in the past.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Me neither. Dunno if that was wishful thinking, but I'm pretty happy.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:25 pm

Stickers didn't surprise me since they are revenue positive. Dougie loves any form of revenue/profit. Remember, US tried to charge for all drinks and stuck with it for quite a few months desperately hoping someone would follow before finally caving.

3 levels didn't shock me, screwing the US Platinum's so late in the game shocked me. I thought they would just keep 4 levels in US and 3 on American until the end of 2015 and then combine everything at once with at least 9 months of lead time. It is really unethical to do what the new AA has done to US Platinum's.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by veliger
...I also really cant believe they went with the anachronistic AA program that is stuck in a 1980's time warp. Stickers?!? Really! US implemented unlimited upgrades a decade or more ago and everyone else has since. AA is clinging to stickers and living in the past.
You're aware-- I assume/hope-- that AA does not actually call them "stickers"-- that it's an FT short-hand? And, yes, AAdv is "clinging" to the AAdv system-- the smarter system of the two where people have to actually pony up a bit for their free upgrades and thereby hopefully aren't subjected to US Air slop (an experiment tried and, thank god, resoundingly failed) in first class.

Originally Posted by vasantn
Me neither. Dunno if that was wishful thinking, but I'm pretty happy.
One day we'll sit down over some Zimas and I'll tell you the somewhat interesting story of "just how close we came..." (to 4 AAdv elite levels.)
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
You're aware-- I assume/hope-- that AA does not actually call them "stickers"-- that it's an FT short-hand? And, yes, AAdv is "clinging" to the AAdv system-- the smarter system of the two where people have to actually pony up a bit for their free upgrades and thereby hopefully aren't subjected to US Air slop (an experiment tried and, thank god, resoundingly failed) in first class.

One day we'll sit down over some Zimas and I'll tell you the somewhat interesting story of "just how close we came..." (to 4 AAdv elite levels.)
What slop?

I'll bite, what was the decisive argument that swayed AA to 3 instead of 4 levels?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.