Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Travel Issues during Operation Protective Edge July 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: joshwex90
In light of the current security situation in Israel, please note the following information:

UPDATE REGARDING FAA BAN: The FAA ban has been officially lifted, effective immediately: Press Release – FAA Statement–FAA Lifts Flight Restrictions for Ben Gurion International Airport

Airline/Airport Advisory Information
  • ETH and SDV have been closed until further notice.
  • TLV is operating on or close to regular schedule. One flight so far reported diverted to LCA. Very few sirens in TLV, though one flight deplaned after boarding due to a code red siren. Contact your carrier for more information.
  • LY has announced that they will refund/exchange tickets free of charge due to the security situation for people who don't want to fly now

Travel Warnings
The following information is from the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv:
Small FAQ Regarding Mass Airline Cancellations, Courtesy of Israel Hayom
My airline canceled my flight, what can I do?
First of all, turn to your airline. Each airline has different policies. You may be able to change the flight. DL, for example, lists on their website that you can change the date once for free. You can usually cancel, but there will likely be a fee.

Does Israeli law grant me compensation?
The "Tibi Law" requires airlines to get you to your destination if they cancel your flight. However, it specifically exempts airlines when it's completely out of their control, or "abnormal conditions." In this case, it's legally murky, as the airlines will argue this is a case of war, and not normal, while on the other side, Israel never closed airspace, and this was an individual decision of airlines (US-based carriers not withstanding)

What's the scope of flight cancellations?
It appears to be a domino effect, as airlines cancel in response to others. Especially now, considering the fears over MH17

If I'm stuck in Israel, how can I get abroad?
You can fly with Israeli companies (EL AL, UP, Arkia, Israir) that are continuing to fly abroad. You can also cross the border into Jordan, and fly via Amman. If you're interested in a slow, option, you can always take a boat from Haifa to Cyprus or other destinations.

When you hear a siren, take it seriously! Get to shelter immediately! If you do not have a shelter, get inside to a stairwell, away from a window, (with the window closed,) and cover your head. If in a car, stop the car, get out, and lie down with your hands over your head. After the boom, wait 10 minutes to leave as shrapnel after an Iron Dome intercept can still be in the air!! Do not feel the need to take pictures or videos as a souvenir - you can find plenty online, and there's no reason to play with your life!

Additional helpful FT Threads
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

As a result of Operation Protective Edge, ETH has closed for now, and all takeoff/landings at SDV have been canceled.

No flights to/from TLV have been affected, but the IAA says they *may* be affected. Flight paths have changed slightly, with takeoffs to the north and landings to the east.

Public shelters are open in Tel Aviv and Jerusaelm.

Stay safe everyone!
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
Just heard sirens and then 3 explosions in Jerusalem.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat
To everyone on this board who resides in Israel, please stay safe and may calm soon prevail.

עם ישראל חי

Last edited by ELY001; Jul 8, 2014 at 10:57 pm Reason: Removed comment about potential conflict effects on LY's financials
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Edit
Thanks

Last edited by LY777; Jul 9, 2014 at 12:25 am
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As an update, my in-laws flew today LY, narrowbody. While on board, there was a tzeva adom (code red rocket siren alert). They had to deplane everybody and proceeded to a milkat (shelter). I have no other details as my wife, not I, spoke to them. They took off safely not too long behind schedule.

For anyone visiting Israel now: FOLLOW ANY INFORMATION YOU ARE TOLD BY SECURITY PERSONNEL! IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO, FIND OUT - You are all welcome to PM me to ask questions or help translate instructions. I am not one to fear-monger, but unfortunately, we must all be realistic.

Regarding security, if you ever hear the siren go off and you are in the Jerusalem or Tel Aviv area, you have 90 seconds to reach shelter. Follow what the locals are doing - they are unfortunately accustomed to it.

If you are nervous, don't be! Israel lives on!

In all seriousness, everyone stay safe AND alert. This is a trying time, but hopefully a very short-lived one.

I also urge everyone here NOT to debate LY until after this is over. Feel free then to criticize whatever you feel LY could've done better. There are a myriad of other threads on this forum dedicated to criticizing LY. This thread isn't one of them. It's about security updates.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Regarding security, if you ever hear the siren go off and you are in the Jerusalem or Tel Aviv area, you have 90 seconds to reach shelter. Follow what the locals are doing - they are unfortunately accustomed to it.
Actually, the locals in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv aren't very "accustomed to it."

And of course, I certainly hope that this stays that way!

(Just an FYI - I live in the South and have been accustomed to it for quite some time now.)
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In comparison to the south, certainly not. Serving on the Gaza border, there were days where we spent more time running to/from the shelter than pretty much anything else. That being said, when a siren goes off in Ramat Gan, people don't look confused as to what's happening or freak out - everyone went straight to the shelter.

Sorry for what you've been going through the past 14 years - hope that it finally ends once and for all!

posting from somewhere nice and hot in uncomfortable madei bet
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Slight delays are to be expected, Easyjet flight last night diverted to LCA.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:26 pm

Currently in NYC so my thoughts and prayers are with all of you in Israel. I'll be on 008 on the 22nd.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Sorry for what you've been going through the past 14 years - hope that it finally ends once and for all!
Amen to that. Firing rockets from civilian areas indiscriminately aimed at civilian population centers is a war crime. But that is for another forum....
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As another flight update, Israel Hayom today posted that AF canceled TLV-CDG after the flight yesterday was landing in TLV from CDG and was caught in a code red siren.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: A3*G
AC TLV -YYZ today is landing in SNN for 30 Min. any idea why? its not an emergency, it was planned before departure from TLV
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:01 am

LH & OS night flights to TLV from Jul. 8 are delayed for a few hours, so they stay in TLV only minimum time.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travel agent
LH & OS night flights to TLV from Jul. 8 are delayed for a few hours, so they stay in TLV only minimum time.
Meaning they now land at what time?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
meaning they now land at what time?
lh - 3:30
os - 4:45

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.