Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2014, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BotB
Bristol FT DO Events, Friday, the 19th Sept. / Saturday 20th Sept. Information (in chronological order)

Friday 10:00: Tour of Rolls Royce Bristol Heritage Centre.

Background:

The Sir Roy Fedden Heritage Centre houses an unrivalled collection of Bristol-built engines ranging from the Jupiter, the most successful aero engine of the 1920s, through the wartime Bristol Hercules and Centaurus sleeve-valve radials to famous jets such as the Harrier’s Pegasus and Concorde’s mighty Olympus.

The display includes de Havilland and Blackburn engines, firms that merged with Bristol Siddeley before the final consolidation with Rolls-Royce.

Fee: Donation to charity of Ł 4 or Ł 5 greatly appreciated.
Duration: The tour will last roughly 2 hours.
Getting to the venue: Meeting at 09:50 at the main Rolls Royce visitors reception at No1 gate. Site map available here.

Some car sharing occurring, BotB vehicle filled (4), thundercat has kindly offered to take 3 (4 in a pinch) and courtster has also kindly offered...please PM them if this is of interest.

Address:
Rolls Royce PLC
Gloucester Rd
Bristol BS34 7QE

Attendees: 9 FTers

BotB
Bristoltraveller
courtster (please urgently provide Ikaz with your details in order to take part)
francismc
holmedown
holmedown's+1
Ikaz
PETER01
thundercat

(We'll be having lunch somewhere afterwards so if anyone wants to join us then please do PM us!)

Friday 17:00: Main DO Event - Gathering at Watershed

Details:

Meeting up @ Watershed Cafe/Bar where there is free wifi and a decent selection of drinks as well as snacks.

There will be some A4 sheets on the tables where we are located with FT and BA logos to help find us!

Drinks/Food Menu:

http://www.watershed.co.uk/food-drink/menus/

Getting to the venue:
You can easily walk from the train station or anywhere downtown to here, if you are driving then the Millennium square car park is the place to park for convenience. (the top of park street is also good and cheaper but does mean a small walk down to the waterfront.

Address:

Watershed
1 Canons Road
Harbourside
Bristol
BS1 5TX

Attendees: 15 FTers

BotB
BristolTraveller
CCayley
corporate-wage-slave
Cymro
francismc
haasha (arriving late)
hawklx
holmedown
holmedown's+1
Ikaz
PETER01
pinkcat
thejohn
thejohn's +1

Friday 20:30: Main DO Event 2 -Evening Meal

Details:

Assuming everyone will have shown up by this time and want to eat something to help soak up the liquids, we'll go as group to this restaurant Steak of the Art (it is a steakhouse with local produce but does also cater for vegetarians so we are hoping this will work for everyone).

They have an events room that can hold 25 so we have booked it and hope that everyone shows up and is alright with this choice @:-)

Drinks/Food Menu:

Steak of the Art Menu.pdf Please note it takes a few seconds to load...be patient!

They asked us to warn them if we would need vegetarian meals or if we would want anything from the "Menu Rapide" that they do not normally serve during evenings. An example of their specials menu can be found here, it changes every day (with some similarities).

Getting to the venue:
The venue is only a minute or two walk from the Watershed and so very convenient, and they take Amex.

Address:

Steak of the Art
Cathedral Walk
Harbourside
Bristol
BS1 5LN

Attendees: 14 FTers

BotB
BristolTraveller
CCayley
Cymro
francismc
haasha
hawklx
holmedown
holmedown's+1
Ikaz
PETER01
pinkcat
thejohn
thejohn's +1

Further Foolishness to follow, after the meal until the wee hours...

Venue: Goodness only knows...rest assured there will be some action until well into the new day...If you arrive this late...PM BotB or Ikaz for current location...

Saturday 10:30: Brunch/Sightseeing walk back downtown afterwards

Details:

The best place to take in the views and have something to eat is at the White Lion Bar (part of the Avon Gorge Hotel) in Clifton.

Getting to the venue:
This is generally a taxi ride away from the downtown area but we will walk back to the downtown area as part of an informal tour of Bristol after eating to get some exercise and enjoy the sights.

Address:

The Avon Gorge Hotel
Sion Hill
Clifton
Bristol
BS8 4LD

Attendees: 10 FTers

BotB
CCayley (maybe)
haasha
hawklx (maybe)
holmedown
holmedown's+1
Ikaz
pinkcat (maybe)
thejohn
thejohn's +1

Not too late to join us! @:-) Open to all...

Other Useful Info:

Hotels:

Hotel info in this post

What to See and Do when not at the DO!

What to see and Do
Print Wikipost

Bristol FT DO 19 Sept 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:03 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Bristol FT DO 19 Sept 2014

Fellow FTer Ikaz and I would like to invite anyone interested to come down to Bristol for a day/evening of West Country hospitality. @:-)

Date for the DO will be in Sept. The exact date is yet to be confirmed but it will definitely be in Sept and likely a Friday during the second half of Sept. to allow people from other areas to get down here for the evening if not for the day!

We are trying to organise a tour of some aviation related organisation here (Airbus, etc...) and hope that this works out so that any tour could happen on the Friday and synched with the DO so that people don't have to take too much time off...however, we are still in the planning stages so the date for any tour may have to change to a separate event and mid week date if that is the only time we can get a tour of the Filton Airbus facilities or elsewhere....Watch this space. We would still hold a DO on a Friday in Sept in any case and there are several good reasons to come down to the area and enjoy the fellow company of FTers for an evening/weekend.

I expect that there will be activities on the Saturday as well if people are interested to walk around and see some of the sights.

So, for now, just a formal declaration we are going to hold a DO, it will be in Sept and on a Friday in the hope of allowing for any tour as well as some evening festivities...

It would be great to have some indication of interest to know how big any group would be if we can get Airbus to give us a tour. I would hope we could get a tour for a group of between 20 and 50 people but anything bigger would likely be problematic.

if we can get a tour organised, we'll have to ask for security details from those attending but will worry about that later as things firm up.

The DO:

Bristol Harbourside as it allows people to stay and walk to the venue.

We'll organise a place where we can eat first and then go to a venue for drinks afterwards in the main downtown / harbour side area.

Plenty of hotel chains represented here in Bristol and I'll put those on the Wiki in due course. Of course, there are also plenty of private accommodation options here as well for those so inclined

Temple Meads rail station is within walking distance and of course there is the airport (sadly not served by BA...) I can try to ferry people from the airport if required.

So, please do indicate your interest for now and we'll add details as we get confirmation of timings / venues / tours / etc...

Thanks, hope to see you here! :-:
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by BotB
Date for the DO will be in Sept. The exact date is yet to be confirmed but it will definitely be in Sept and likely a Friday during the second half of Sept. to allow people from other areas to get down here for the evening if not for the day!
Looks good. My roster currently show me as being off work in late September, so it could work subject to no project delays, so a 51% maybe from me.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
I'm sorry where? Which part of London is Bristol in ?!!

cs
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:27 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Bristol FT DO Sept 2014

Date and diary dependent, a maybe / "will try" from me.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I will absolutely try and come along if I can. Of the last three weekends in September the only Friday I can't do is 19th. I should be able to make it down for around 6-7pm on a Friday.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Subject to the weekend I can either try and get a pass from Mrs LA, or make it a family trip to Bristol - we were talking about going down again only yesterday....
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by cornishsimon

cs
It's in the dark dragon infested bit between London and civilisation

Put me down as interested
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
I might be able to attend depending on the chosen date. Second half of September would be better for me.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by cornishsimon

cs
It's in Wales. The bit to the left on the map.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 6:03 am

Like I said in previous discussions on this, I'm an hour away, but away ,away from 13-27th so unless you choose the first week it's no good for me.

I'll leave the key under the mat for anyone wanting to use it for a sleep over !!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 6:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I shall be there.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Plat, Avis PC, Sixt Pl,
FZO? Count me in!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 6:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I'll definitely be there BotB
Old Jun 28, 2014, 7:00 am

Always happy for an excuse to revisit Bristol; first half of the second half of September would work better for me as I have work commitments from the 23rd.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Can do the end of September too and would like to come if the dates fit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.