Air Canada Bicycle Handling

Subscribe
I'm from from YYJ to YYC next week and want to bring my bike as I'll be in Calgary a lot over the summer. I have an inexpensive bike and just want to bring it with me. I don't want to spend money on a hard-case or a bike bag. I've heard that if you remove the pedals, they will put it in a plastic bag at check-in. Anyone had experience with this?
You can also get a special cardboard box for bike, cheap but gives decent protection nonetheless. Better than just a bag.
@philelite your profile shows you as SE, call the YVR concierge and ask them about options and they can help.
Quote: @philelite your profile shows you as SE, call the YVR concierge and ask them about options and they can help.
+1 Or maybe send them an e-mail instead of calling, so they can double-check with the check-in agents / baggage handlers since I doubt they deal with bikes on a regular basis.
Quote: +1 Or maybe send them an e-mail instead of calling, so they can double-check with the check-in agents / baggage handlers since I doubt they deal with bikes on a regular basis.
+1

I know airlines USED to sell bike boxes through check-in but it wouldn't surprise me if that was dropped in the cost cutting measures. I think there is a chance AC Cargo would still sell the boxes, but since you're SE, this is a prime example of "What a Concierge can do!" get answers!
Quote: I'm from from YYJ to YYC next week and want to bring my bike as I'll be in Calgary a lot over the summer. I have an inexpensive bike and just want to bring it with me. I don't want to spend money on a hard-case or a bike bag. I've heard that if you remove the pedals, they will put it in a plastic bag at check-in. Anyone had experience with this?
The safest bet is to bring it to a bike shop and ask them to box it for you, in a cardboard box. Let them know you are bringing it on a flight.

Is the flight direct from YYJ to YYC? Or are you doing YYJ-YVR-YYC? Anything smaller than a CRJ, you will need to call to see if it will fit through the cargo door.

As a SE, they will let you bring the boxed bike free of charge.

Trying to get the bike packaged at the airport is a bad idea, because it is very last minute, and if / how well they do it is completely hit or miss depending on the day.

Quote:
Bicycles are accepted on a space available basis only and should be pre-registered at time of booking.

Each bicycle counts as one piece of baggage towards the maximum number of checked bags allowed by your fare type.

Waivers

No overweight or oversize charges apply to bicycles, provided they are within the following maximum weight and size limits*:

Maximum weight: 32kg (70lb)
Maximum length: 292cm (115in)

*Air Canada Cargo handles the shipment of bicycles that exceed the maximum weight and/or size limits listed above.

Charges

If your baggage count (bicycle + number of bags to be checked) exceeds the maximum number of items allowed by your fare type, additional checked baggage charges will apply, in addition to a fixed handling charge.

Handling charge
In addition to any applicable additional checked baggage charges, bicycles are subject to a handling charge of $50 CAD/USD (plus applicable taxes) for carriage on Air Canada and Air Canada rouge flights, as well as on Air Canada Express flights operated by Jazz, Sky Regional, Air Georgian and Exploits Valley Air.

The handling charge applies to one-way flights and for each way of travel on round-trip and multi-segment flights.
A single fixed handling charge is waived:
When you purchase a Latitude or Business Class fare for travel within Canada, and between Canada and the U.S.
If you are an Altitude member, provided your baggage count (bicycle + number of bags to be checked) does not exceed the maximum number of items allowed by your Altitude status.

Packing instructions

The bicycle must be placed - with handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed - in a rigid and/or hard shell container specifically designed for shipping or in a bicycle suitcase (in the case of collapsible bicycles). Tires must be partially deflated.

If otherwise packaged, the bicycle may be refused for carriage. Air Canada is not liable if and to the extent that any damage results from the inherent defect, quality or vice of the baggage.
The bag method: http://www.twowheeltravelblog.com/20...d-easy-method/

Or, ask a bike shop for a used cardboard bike box. They give them away.
I worked at a bike shop for many years in university. We were always happy to give away cardboard bike boxes for free (easier to give them away than break them down for recycling). Suggest stopping by a local bike shop to ask for a box.
I purchased a bike while in California earlier this spring and brought it home on the flight with me. As earlier posters mentioned, I simply took the bike to a bike shop and they boxed it up for me. The shop didn't charge for the box, but they did charge me about $25.00 to take the bike partially apart & put it in the box. AC was easy to deal with & my bike arrive home at YYZ safe & sound.
Quote: I'm from from YYJ to YYC next week and want to bring my bike as I'll be in Calgary a lot over the summer. I have an inexpensive bike and just want to bring it with me. I don't want to spend money on a hard-case or a bike bag. I've heard that if you remove the pedals, they will put it in a plastic bag at check-in. Anyone had experience with this?
You've probably already figured it out, but you can also ship it fairly cheaply. Fedex ground is only about $100 to the US East Coast and I would guess that Greyhound is even cheaper within Canada. I usually take mine on the plane with me (it folds in to a suitcase), but for my trip in a couple of weeks I have to stop in Italy and the UK before going to the US for 2 weeks where I will actually use it. I'm going to ship it there and bring it on the plane on my way home.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK.
Quote: Is the flight direct from YYJ to YYC? Or are you doing YYJ-YVR-YYC? Anything smaller than a CRJ, you will need to call to see if it will fit through the cargo door.
Quality advice, one step further I'll say this as a former ramp agent...your bike (assuming it's a regular mountain/road bike and not some giant wheel in the front tiny wheels in the back) it'll fit through the door. The concerns are that it'll get bumped due to lack of space. Now these flights usually aren't so full that this is a major issue but the cargo holds are small and a full flight with bags (anywhere on this routing) might not allow the bike to be loaded. So just be careful if you're travelling on a holiday or whatever. Also direct flight will be a better choice if at all possible (despite the size of the plane).