Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AAdvantage Miles Upgrade Awards and options on other carriers
Only allowed on specific British Airways (BA) and Iberia (IB)fares

AADVANTAGE PARTICIPATING AIRLINES UPGRADE AWARDS (See: Mileage upgrades on British Airways and Iberia)

AAdvantage members may use AAdvantage miles to upgrade on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia flights*. Miles may be used to upgrade yourself or anyone you designate. And now, you can upgrade tickets booked by American Airlines (via Reservations or AA.com) as well as bookings made through a travel agency or other source.

Each one-way upgrade is valid up to three segments from an individual published full fare ticket per the chart below. Definitions of the eligible fare types are as follows:
  • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y (excluding Military or Government fares) on American
  • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y or B on British Airways or Iberia
  • Premium Economy with published World Traveller Plus fares booked in W (unrestricted fares only) on British Airways. Doesn’t apply to Excursion fares.
  • Full-Fare Club World Business with published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways or Iberia
  • British Airways flight must be coded BAxxx on the ticket (AA codeshare flights are not eligible for upgrades and must be converted / booked as BA prime flights)
  • British Airways must operate the LONGEST SEGMENT on the itinerary to be eligible for an upgrade
**Upgrades on British Airways from Economy Class (World Traveller) are valid to Premium Economy (World Traveller Plus) where a Premium Economy Cabin exists, and from Premium Economy to Business (Club World).

Upgrade requests can be made when you make your initial reservation or after you have purchased your ticket, but must be made prior to checking in for your flight.

To request an upgrade award contact Reservations or visit an American Airlines Travel Center.Service charges may apply. If you have already purchased a ticket and you wish to use a mileage upgrade award, please have your reservation details available for our reservation agent.

*Includes travel on codeshare flights marketed by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia and operated by any of the three carriers.

Link to aa.com page with award chart, language, etc. (IMPORTANT TO READ IN ITS ENTIRETY)

As Microwave points out, AA must have some involvement with the ticket:

American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia flights or codeshare flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia are eligible. Reservations booked through a source other than American Airlines must include at least one flight with an American Airlines flight number in order to be eligible (includes codeshare flights operated by British Airways or Iberia but booked as an American Airlines flight number.)
See post 338 for useful information.

updated 4 Sep 2016 by JDiver

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

This thread is in place to discuss the Participating Airline Upgrade award offered by AA.

~AAdvantage forum moderation team

Last edited by Microwave; Jul 9, 2016 at 5:56 am
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Booking in BA WT+ and upgrading to Club World using AAdvantage Miles

I have tried calling AA twice (on two different occasions) and have been unsuccessful; I can usually tell if an agent knows what they are talking about and I am not confident that either person I spoke with knew what they were doing in this case, therefore I present the question to the board:

What I'm trying to do this time is book a round trip on BA in WT+ from FRA-WAS in early October, then upgrade using the (relatively) new award procedure allowing upgrades from WT+ to Club World using AAdvantage miles. I understand from the AA website that to do so, the fare must be booked through AA and upgraded by them; no other booking channel is acceptable. Since you can't book WT+ online with AA, you have to call in.

Both times I researched availability by logging into BA using an Executive Club account that I essentially created just to look for BA availability. Both times I have found itineraries that BA would allow to be booked into WT+ then upgraded instantly. When I present these flights to AA agents, back in August (for the other itinerary that I wanted to upgrade) they offered me a WT+ fare that was more expensive than the fare that BA was offering for a Club World ticket; this time the agent claimed there was no inventory at all for upgrades.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is inventory held back from the AAdvantage program by BA for sole use of BA customers? My alternative is to convert some SPG points that I have into BA miles and upgrading that way; I am a little fearful that the seats will be gone by the time the miles are converted and then I will have orphaned BA miles.

Clearly, based on what the BA website offers I could buy discounted WT+ and still upgrade. The way the AA website is written, I am not certain I could do this on AA. Does anyone have any experience doing what I want to do, and if so, have you done it with a discounted WT+ fare?
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
I'm unable to answer all of you questions relating to how BA does things but on AA's end, it must be a full-fare WT+ ticket if you want to upgrade using miles.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sukn
I'm unable to answer all of you questions relating to how BA does things but on AA's end, it must be a full-fare WT+ ticket if you want to upgrade using miles.
Duh. I knew that for Economy but I overlooked it for WT+. I wonder if this will ever be harmonized (or should I say harmonised) with BA. For all the complaining about BA surcharges, at least BA lets discounted WT+ fares be upgraded with EC miles (or whatever they're going to call them going forward).

The full fare WT+ requirement still doesn't explain why AA agents have such difficulty finding an upgradeable WT+ fare.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:50 pm

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold
As far as I know all WT+ fares are considered full fare economy so upgradable

Last edited by Vaze; Sep 9, 2011 at 5:41 pm Reason: Deleted misinformation
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Vaze
As far as I know all WT+ fares are considered full fare economy so upgradable, your problem is that you can only upgrade flights that are on AA metal using AA miles. To upgrade WT+ to CW you need to use BA miles. At least that is my understanding of this issue. I

And your understanding would be incorrect. Sorry.

See here: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...radeAwards.jsp
Old Sep 9, 2011, 4:03 pm

Most likely the AA agents are quoting you a full fare Y price, which will be much more than the WT+ fare you are seeing on BA which is why you are seeing such a price difference.

Last edited by Vaze; Sep 9, 2011 at 5:42 pm Reason: Deleted misinformation
Old Sep 9, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Couldn't you hold a reservation in a different booking class, call the web services people and get them to change it to a W-class WT+ booking? You could then technically "book it on AA.com".
Old Sep 9, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
The point is you can't book WT+ fares from AA.com but in order to upgrade with AA miles the ticket must be booked at AA.com. See below

your original ticket must be booked directly with American Airlines (via Reservations or AA.com).

Whether you want to believe it or not, my understanding is correct, in order to buy a WT+ ticket it must be booked at BA.com and can't be upgraded with AA SWU's or miles

By the way, I'm trying to help you so the snippy response wasn't warrented
Evidently WT+ fares can be booked by AA (albeit only over the phone) as the OP was offered the option to purchase a more expensive WT+ fare. The JBA upgrade scheme does not require purchase on AA.com, you even quoted where it says "Reservations."

AA certainly publishes WT+ fares. Without looking at specific dates, the cheapest o/w WT+ fare I see on FRA-WAS is W2E0 $2,021. The cheapest CW fare is IR5E6J which is only $1,628. My conclusion is the OP should purchase an I fare rather than trying to upgrade, unless there is a business travel policy that only allows purchase of WT+ and not CW.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
Evidently WT+ fares can be booked by AA (albeit only over the phone) as the OP was offered the option to purchase a more expensive WT+ fare.
What I'm trying to say, is that it isn't a WT+ fare he is being quoted at AA.

I did the same exercise LAX-DAR, BA shows WT+ roundtrip as $3,300, calling AA the agents give me $5,600 as the lowest upgradable fare available. Digging into it further it turns out this wasn't a WT+ fare but rather a full fare ticket in economy that could be upgraded to business using AA miles plus the co-pay ( I suspect this is because the WT+ fare simply isn't available at AA)

If OP really wants a WT+ fare he is not going to find it at AA.com or via by calling AA
Old Sep 9, 2011, 4:38 pm

The point is you can't book WT+ fares from AA.com as that product doesn't exist there but in order to upgrade with AA miles any ticket must be booked at AA.com.

Whether you want to believe it or not, my understanding is correct, in order to buy a WT+ ticket it must be booked at BA.com and can't be upgraded with AA SWU's or miles. I've been looking this as I'm trying to do the same using my AA miles for WT+ LAX-DAR but can't do it.

AA reservations is capable of booking a WT+ fare in the W bucket. Yes, it would be on BA ticket stock but AA phone reps are able to provide this service.

Secondly, the link I provided clearly states AA miles can be used to upgrade on BA and IB flights. Why are you debating this simple point?

I'm sorry you have had difficulty booking your itinerary but only weeks ago I helped a friend upfare an AA codeshare ticket to a WT+ fare booked in W, and then use AA miles to upgrade into CW.

Effective October 1, 2010 AAdvantage members may use AAdvantage miles to upgrade on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia flights. Miles may be used to upgrade yourself or anyone you designate* at the time of ticketing.

Codeshare flights marketed by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia and operated by any of the three carriers are also eligible to upgrade. In order to upgrade on a flight operated by British Airways or Iberia, your original ticket must be booked directly with American Airlines (via Reservations or AA.com).
Old Sep 9, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
What I'm trying to say, is that it isn't a WT+ fare he is being quoted at AA.
The problem is that you can get WT+ fares from AA reservations over the phone if you ask for them and get a competent agent. These would not be eligible for an upgrade with a SWU or miles+copay, but they are eligible for an AAdvantage Participating Airlines upgrade.

However as the OP's experience indicates and BrewerSEA's research verifies the fares AA offers for WT+ on BA are impractical and not worth booking.

I would recommend booking either the CW or WT+ tickets through BA.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
I would recommend booking either the CW or WT+ tickets through BA.
I guess all my posts were long winded ways of saying the same thing ^ I found simply booking the WT+ fare through BA to be much cheaper (I still suspect this is because AA is quoting the full economy fare price rather than the true WT+ fare price available at BA.com)
Old Sep 9, 2011, 4:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
in order to upgrade with AA miles any ticket must be booked at AA.com.

Whether you want to believe it or not, my understanding is correct, in order to buy a WT+ ticket it must be booked at BA.com and can't be upgraded with AA SWU's or miles. I've been looking this as I'm trying to do the same using my AA miles for WT+ LAX-DAR but can't do it.

I understand that you're trying to help, but much of the information quoted above is inaccurate, which doesn't help. I'm not trying to be rude or snippy.

• Flights marketed and operated by AA do not have to be purchased at aa.com to qualify to be upgraded. You can buy AA flights on Orbitz, from your travel agent, or elsewhere, as long as they're marketed and operated by AA, you won't be prevented from upgrading for that reason (there are a myriad of other restrictions, but that's not one of them).
  • BA.com is not the sole source for BA WT+ tickets. Among many outlets, AA do have access to book WT+ fares on BA-operated flights--call reservations and ask them look for the W bucket. These are unrestricted full-fare premium economy tickets and are therefore quite expensive--as BrewerSEA accurately points out, there are often cheaper deeply discounted business class tickets available, so W is often a very poor deal (just like Y or J).
  • You would be able to buy WT+ on BA from LAX-DAR and upgrade to CW with AA miles, if you bought a W ticket as mentioned above, from AA reservations (not online), and there were CW award inventory available on the flight. Again, be prepared for the W fare to be much more than the lowest WT+ fare shown on ba.com.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Another possibility is AA is quoting a code-share and BA is quoting their code. Before the joint business agreement I had numerous situations where AA code-shares were significantly more expensive than booking on the BA or CX or whatever flight number for the same booking fare. And AA couldn't sell me anything other than the AA code-share.

I'm not sure if this changed with the recent alignment. You may ask the agent the exact flight number and whether it is a code share or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.