Boingo WiFi in Japan

Subscribe
I have subscribed to Boingo and have found it very handy here in Japan.

It has contract with

*NTT docomo
Wi2, a subsidiary of *au, KDDI
Mobilepoint operated by *Softbank

* These three are Japanes big 3 mobile operators. So, in almost any place where public wifi is available, you can connect to the internet with your Boingo ID or apps.

The easiest way to find Boingo hotspots is probably to look for McDonalds. 99% of them have Mobilepoint signals, so you can use Boingo.
I'll be in Japan for 10 days. I'm considering Verizon's 100MB international plan plus Boingo.

Will I be able to connect to WiFi pretty well while traveling (looking at maps in tourist spots, etc.)?
Don't forget that some of these networks are WEP protected. You need to get the code first to get on the network then you log in.
Since virtually all hotels in Japan have complimentary (though mostly cabled) internet connections, finding WiFI is usually not so important for me. Starbucks however has free, and quite fast, WiFi.
Wirelessly posted (iPhone5: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.1; SC-02E Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.166 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Quote: Don't forget that some of these networks are WEP protected. You need to get the code first to get on the network then you log in.
Boingo apps help solve WEP key problem. They automatically configure the keys.(at least on Android, with which I have just confirmed) Also,logging on is one tap away.
Quote: Wirelessly posted (iPhone5: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.1; SC-02E Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.166 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Boingo apps help solve WEP key problem. They automatically configure the keys.(at least on Android, with which I have just confirmed) Also,logging on is one tap away.
I don't think it works in iPad.. My android phone can connect but not my iPad...
Quote: I don't think it works in iPad.. My android phone can connect but not my iPad...
the FAQ for boingo app has wep key. i just found out, and able to logon to mobilepoint now.
Do you have a like for the FAQ with the WEP key?

Quote: the FAQ for boingo app has wep key. i just found out, and able to logon to mobilepoint now.
Quote: Do you have a like for the FAQ with the WEP key?
Do you mean a link or a Facebook thing?
AMEX US Plat holders should now be able to access boingo hotspots here as part of their membership. I'll report back if it works well.
Quote: AMEX US Plat holders should now be able to access boingo hotspots here as part of their membership. I'll report back if it works well.
Thanks, I will be in Japan in the early Fall and curious to know. I just established my account with Boingo via AMEX Plat as well..
Quote: AMEX US Plat holders should now be able to access boingo hotspots here as part of their membership. I'll report back if it works well.
Did it work?
Im an AMEX PLAT and have BOINGO.. Was in Japan recently and had issues using my ipad, is this a known issue or just me? Hard to connect to BOINGO unless you have a WiFi Connection already established? It defeats the purpose for me.. And your experience?
I noticed on the iPhone app that if you open help, it lists the web keys needed for the various service providers. Did you try entering the key when connecting?
Quote: I noticed on the iPhone app that if you open help, it lists the web keys needed for the various service providers. Did you try entering the key when connecting?
I checked the list of the wep keys and I found it old. Boingo lists Livedoor wireless there, but it stopped operation three or four years ago.