Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MM roll call thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

UA offers a way to earn status based on accumulative (lifetime) flight.
Lifetime Premier status

The Million Miler program grants lifetime Premier status to all qualifying members, even if they fly less in the future. Lifetime miles are earned based on the flight distance of United- and United Express®-operated flights. Basic Economy tickets do not earn lifetime flight miles.
(How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?)
Here are the status benefits of the Million Miler program:

You can earn (the old fashioned way, same thresholds) higher status, but with MMers status, you will never fall below the MMer status level.
Annual companion Premier status

As a Million Miler, you may invite your spouse or significant other to share your current Premier status. This membership is nontransferable and will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise.

See companion eligibility terms and conditions at the bottom of this page for more details.

To select or review your companion or to change your companion for the next calendar year, visit united.com/MMcompanion.
Frequently Asked Questions

Do I get a "permanent / lifetime" card?

No, you get an annual card, as everyone else does. It will have an MM insignia. A permanent card would not make sense because you may earn a higher status than your MMer status.

Do I need to do anything to maintain MMer status? Recent flights? 4 segments? some PQMs or PQDs

No, you need to do nothing.

Will 2MM flyers receive 2 RPUs annually?

Yes: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21007782-post85.html :

Originally Posted by UA Insider

All 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless they were already earned through the published criteria.
Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless already earned by the published criteria.
Will 3MM flyers receive 6 GPUs annually?

Yes. See above.

Since a 3MM flyer is also a 2MM flyer, will 3MM flyers also receive 2 RPUs annually?

According to an email exchange on 1/15/2014 with 1Kvoice as a 3MM LT 1K one should see 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs by end of January if one didn't fly the miles last year. Those xPUs in fact deposited 1/16/2014.

Pre-merger United 1MM flyers were promised two Confirmed Regional upgrades per year. Were they grandfathered into two RPUs per year?

No. And a class action suit claiming this was a breach of contract with pre-merger MM members was denied by a court, so this issue appears to be closed. For more: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...judgmt-ua.html

Pre-merger United 2MM flyers were promised a Red Carpet Club lounge membership for life. Will they be grandfathered into a lifetime United Club membership?

Yes, but they need to call the MileagePlus service center.

I was close to 2MM status before January 1, 2012, and was on a pace to reach 2MM BIS before January 1, 2013. Should I have received a lifetime membership?

Some have. Call the MileagePlus service center.

2 and 3 Million Miler Gift
Changed to RDM bonus in 2020

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to fly 4 segments annually on UA/UX metal to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to fly the 4 segments and credit to them to M+.

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to earn PQDs to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to earn the required PQDs for that status. Your Million Mile and Beyond status do not give you a jump start on PQDs, PQMs, or PQSes toward a higher elite status.

Million Mile Program FAQs

Terms and conditions for MileagePlus Million Miler companion benefit

FT thread: Million Miler companion benefit

Frequently Made Points (2012)
  • Many lifetime CO elites made gains with the new program:
    • Lifetime silvers become lifetime golds
    • Infinite elites became lifetime 1Ks
  • Many lifetime UA elites made gains with the new program:
    • The one-time adjustment to recalculate lifetime miles to be equal to lifetime PQM boosted most lifetime totals, and many people were elevated to the first or next tier of the MM program.
    • The companion program benefited most elites.
    • The addition of lifetime platinum to existing 2MMer grandfathered lifetime United Club membership was a benefit for all pre-existing 2MMers.
    • The replacement of lifetime United Club with platinum was a benefit for those people between 1MM and 2MM lifetime miles who valued a higher upgrade priority.
    • For people at or aiming toward 4MM, the introduction of lifetime GS at 4MM
    • Leather luggage tags
  • Many lifetime CO elites had losses with the new program:
    • Moving forward, PQMs do not count toward lifetime status.
  • Many lifetime UA elites had losses with the new program:
    • For 1MM and 2MM elites, the loss of 100% RDM bonus (reduced to 50% and 75% respectively)
    • For 1MM elites, the loss of two annual CR-1s (nka RPUs)
    • For people over 1MM but not "close enough" to 2MM, the loss of the opportunity to get lifetime United Club membership.
    • The loss of one-time gifts of extra SWUs (nka GPUs)
    • The inflation of membership numbers negating the significance of flying an actual one million BIS miles on UA metal, i.e. "Million Mile Flyers"
Related thread: Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC

This is the first year that I will be a 1K only by virtue of my 3MM status (i.e., I qualified for 2013 1K via PQMs in addition to being a 3MMer). Has anyone had any experience with when the GPUs etc. deposit for folks in this situation? This would include 2MM Plats who would see 2 RPUs as well since I assume whatever sweep they do to deposit the instruments would be the same. Just curious as to when I should expect to see them in the account?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by pdx1M
This is the first year that I will be a 1K only by virtue of my 3MM status (i.e., I qualified for 2013 1K via PQMs in addition to being a 3MMer). Has anyone had any experience with when the GPUs etc. deposit for folks in this situation? This would include 2MM Plats who would see 2 RPUs as well since I assume whatever sweep they do to deposit the instruments would be the same. Just curious as to when I should expect to see them in the account?
I was a LT 1K when the conversion happened and this is what happened for me:

1) got my 6 GPU's
2) got my 2 RPU's

IIRC, I got my GPU's and RPU's mid month (Jan).

Why this continues to be a unresolved question in the thread, I have no idea as I have first hand experience with this.

Curious to see if I get my 2 RPU's as a MMer someday...I guess that one is up to the Judge....
YMMV....
Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat; 2 MM; Amex Rewards; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Plat.
Question re: Lifetime RCC for 2MM

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, but I could not find it within this thread. On December 31, 2012 I was at 1.985MM as a 1k and reached 2mm during January, 2013. Am I entitled to lifetime United Club membership? If so, how do I attempt to claim it.

As always, thanks for your help.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CalRef
I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, but I could not find it within this thread. On December 31, 2012 I was at 1.985MM as a 1k and reached 2mm during January, 2013. Am I entitled to lifetime United Club membership? If so, how do I attempt to claim it.

As always, thanks for your help.
Sorry, that benefit was eliminated for 2MM when the 2 programs merged.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by CalRef
On December 31, 2012 I was at 1.985MM as a 1k and reached 2mm during January, 2013. Am I entitled to lifetime United Club membership?
The lifetime RCC membership reward at 2mm was rescinded at the time of the merger.
Some have reported that people "close" to this milestone WERE awarded RCC membership.
I think you could call MP service, but I would NOT hold my breath.
Dave
Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by bseller
The lifetime RCC membership reward at 2mm was rescinded at the time of the merger.
Some have reported that people "close" to this milestone WERE awarded RCC membership.
I think you could call MP service, but I would NOT hold my breath.
Dave
As I understand it, one would need to have flown enough to get to the 2MM by the end of 2012 and then UA would make an exception to grant the RCC-for-life promised benefit. Would have been nice if UA had mentioned this to their close-to-2MM customers at the time. I only learned about this exception from UA recently.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
As I understand it, one would need to have flown enough to get to the 2MM by the end of 2012 and then UA would make an exception to grant the RCC-for-life promised benefit. Would have been nice if UA had mentioned this to their close-to-2MM customers at the time. I only learned about this exception from UA recently.
This is one of my greatest frustrations and I believe that I did reach 2MM by the end of 2012 -- but not in time for the actual closing of the merger. Is there and exception policy under which this benefit may still be granted? Thanks.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ocn2ocn
This is one of my greatest frustrations and I believe that I did reach 2MM by the end of 2012 -- but not in time for the actual closing of the merger. Is there and exception policy under which this benefit may still be granted? Thanks.
You can try --- it appeared to be an informal unpublicized policy. Trying a year later may be too late.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can try --- it appeared to be an informal unpublicized policy. Trying a year later may be too late.
Thanks, is there any particular group or department I should reach out to for this? Very disappointing if they extend this to some but not others.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks, is there any particular group or department I should reach out to for this? ...
Have you try MPSC?? waiting isn't going to improve your chances.

.... Very disappointing if they extend this to some but not others.
from what was posted, it was on request only and particularly circumstance were probably looked at.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:46 am

Qualification requirements for Million Milers

Does the "four flights on United" qualification requirement apply to Million Milers hoping to cling on to their Staralliance gold status?

[Apologies if this has been answered on an existing thread]

Sandy
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: United Lifetime Plat 2 million, Starwood Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
No. You will maintain million miler status or more regardless of flights taken or money spent.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1537525-mileageplus-millio

A nice touch by United to send this out...

Dear bmvaughn,

We are excited that you are approaching a remarkable milestone: flying one million miles with United® and MileagePlus®. Once you are a 1 Million Miler, you will enjoy benefits that reflect your accomplishment, including status that will not fall below Premier® Gold.*

We look forward to welcoming you as a 1 Million Miler in the near future.

Sincerely,
Thomas F. O'Toole
President, MileagePlus
Senior Vice President, Marketing and Loyalty
United Airlines
I applaud UA for sending this out to folks who are close to MM (I am ~34k away), hope they sent something similar to existing MMers to thank them for their loyalty over the years.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
I didn't get anything. Still don't. It simply isn't the big deal it used to be pre-merger.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:25 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
A nice touch by United to send this out...

I applaud UA for sending this out to folks who are close to MM (I am ~34k away), hope they sent something similar to existing MMers to thank them for their loyalty over the years.
Just a new MP card showing 1MM status and a leather luggage tag with a 2nd MM MP card in it for me

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.