Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
A recap of some of the key features of the refreshed p.s. product:

• 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment. However, headsets are no longer complimentary in economy as of 9/2014.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

Upgrade policies are the same. No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20168422-post1.html (UA Insider)

For mileage upgrades requested on or after 1 Feb 2015, Premier members are no longer exempt from upgrade co-pay on the p.s. routes. The co-pay varies by fare basis:

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2013, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver

I've been looking and booking for 2014, so it seems with seven days left in 2013, now is a good time to start discussing p.s. in the new year.

I'm securing flights for May and June and see loads of R availability. If you can plan in advance, R is plentiful.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've been waitlisted in I for the April 17 redeye (UA824) since November 1. Seatmap still shows zero seats assigned. J9 P8 R0 I0. So we are now four months out, and UA has (apparently) not released a single business saver award seat on this flight.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I've been waitlisted in I for the April 17 redeye (UA824) since November 1. Seatmap still shows zero seats assigned. J9 P8 R0 I0. So we are now four months out, and UA has (apparently) not released a single business saver award seat on this flight.
Easter.

Maybe a wait and see approach.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Easter.

Maybe a wait and see approach.
Yeah I'm confirmed on the late afternoon ps flight, connecting to BOS on AA the following morning for the marathon. Worst case scenario, if the waitlist doesn't clear, I'll overnight at one of the airport hotels. (This is part of a larger post-Massacre mileage burn, 100k miles for SFO-IST, with the east coast stopover to run the marathon.)
Old Dec 24, 2013, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I've been looking and booking for 2014, so it seems with seven days left in 2013, now is a good time to start discussing p.s. in the new year.

I'm securing flights for May and June and see loads of R availability. If you can plan in advance, R is plentiful.
I booked several months ago for a Jan and Feb trip and on both the SFO-JFK flights are still WL with at tops 1/3 of the seats taken (both trips are connections @ SFO) On my outbounds 1 had all the seats available and R=1 then R=0 and hasnt changed since then

I believe certain flights they open earlier then others with R>1, others R=0 the whole time while others R=1
Old Dec 24, 2013, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
I booked several months ago for a Jan and Feb trip and on both the SFO-JFK flights are still WL with at tops 1/3 of the seats taken (both trips are connections @ SFO) On my outbounds 1 had all the seats available and R=1 then R=0 and hasnt changed since then

I believe certain flights they open earlier then others with R>1, others R=0 the whole time while others R=1
Fair enough. I should be clear that I am looking at LAX <-> JFK.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 4:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
i just used 2 RPUs on each SFO->JFK PS in march (R7 before my RPU's)

and

on LAX - > JFK PS in April (R3)

See alot of R on PS routes early next year too
Old Dec 24, 2013, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reading this article in USA Today about what American is doing with their new A321's for NY to West Coast flights, UA has some catching up to do again.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Baze
Reading this article in USA Today about what American is doing with their new A321's for NY to West Coast flights, UA has some catching up to do again.
they look great, especially in F. i was just thinking about this article as my jaw dropped this morning at UA's pricing of P fares on ps routes.

i'm also quite curious about how the B6 planes will be. all the pictures i've seen, they look good as well.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, US CP
Is there any difference between 1EF and 5EF? I know they are preferred for the bigger footwells, but aside from that has anyone who has sat in both noticed any other differences? Is there a service difference being in the smaller rear cabin vs. the larger front cabin? All I can think of is that at JFK the planes board/deplane from Door 1 and LAX/SFO board/deplane from Door 2 so if going to JFK row 1 might be preferable and vice versa for LAX/SFO. Anything else?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chasgoose
Is there any difference between 1EF and 5EF? I know they are preferred for the bigger footwells, but aside from that has anyone who has sat in both noticed any other differences? Is there a service difference being in the smaller rear cabin vs. the larger front cabin? All I can think of is that at JFK the planes board/deplane from Door 1 and LAX/SFO board/deplane from Door 2 so if going to JFK row 1 might be preferable and vice versa for LAX/SFO. Anything else?
I'm taking 5E to SFO this coming Tuesday and can report back, but your query best belongs in the seat thread, not this one.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:31 pm

The front cabin is preferred. There is a ton of lav traffic from Y in the rear cabin.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
I haven't flown in 1EF but have in 5ABEF. I prefer the back cabin as there are 2 FA's for each, front and back. Further it seems to me that 5AB are slightly longer than 5EF. I usually do 5B SFO-JFK as the noise and light aren't as much as a concern to me and 5E JFK-SFO
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
I've sat in 1E, 1B, 5A and 5E. 5E is my least favorite of those as you stare directly at one of the flight attendants when he/she is seated for takeoff. It seems less private. In 5A I could not see over the barrier between the flight attendants and my seat so did not have that problem. From 5E you can see the flight attendants from an angle.

1E is a good seat for privacy, you are close to the front door and restroom and you get served among the first in that cabin. 1B obviously gets too much light from the galley.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:16 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Is there any difference between 1EF and 5EF?
Based on my experience, 1EF is about 1" shorter (fully extended in bed mode) than 5EF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.