Centurion US Platinum Status Going Away [Extended to 2/2015]

Subscribe
Lots of threads on the loss of lounge access effective 3/22/14, but I din't see anyone post the bad news that Centurion also loses Platinum Preferred status effective the same date.

Layer on that many Platinum cardmembers apparently got a $500 statement credit offer, and I only received a $200 offer, and this is just another devaluation of the Centurion Card.
Quote: Lots of threads on the loss of lounge access effective 3/22/14, but I din't see anyone post the bad news that Centurion also loses Platinum Preferred status effective the same date.

Layer on that many Platinum cardmembers apparently got a $500 statement credit offer, and I only received a $200 offer, and this is just another devaluation of the Centurion Card.
Loss of US Air status is big for me. Not just the US Air portion but the Star Gold benefits that go with it. Aggggh.

Also in same Email confirmation that Virgin Gold is gone Dec 31st.

As a Centurion I got the extra $200 offer so I guess I can then use the $400 for an AA lounge membership,
Yup, just saw this in the email. Very disappointing. At least we will have the Plat status through Feb 2015. Hopefully, in that time, Amex can bring on another airline. Otherwise the Cent card is going to just have Delta (and that isn't very useful to us out west).
Quote: Yup, just saw this in the email. Very disappointing. At least we will have the Plat status through Feb 2015. Hopefully, in that time, Amex can bring on another airline. Otherwise the Cent card is going to just have Delta (and that isn't very useful to us out west).
Don't quite understand the fine print. First read suggests that the status goes away 2/28/14. But, if I renew my Cent card prior to 2/28/14 does status go thru 2015???

---------------------

Centurion Members who have enrolled or renewed their US Airways status prior to March 22, 2014 will continue to access Platinum Preferred status benefits through the end of their current membership period.

US Airways Dividend Miles Platinum Preferred status: All benefits and partner offers are valid through the program year, which ends 2/28 of each successive year. Centurion membership and US Airways partnership is subject to mutual consent of American Express and US Airways.
Its not clear if our status will end on 3/22/14 or continue to 2/15. If US does the same thing CO/UA did for all elite members, with extension of the expiration of elite status for everyone until their systems get combined, it is possible everyone who was elite in 2013 (Centurion and other elite members) will have their status continue until 3/22/14 rather than 2/28. And if that happens, I think we are not elite after that point in 2014.

However if we renew as US Platinum as usual as of 3/1, I agree status continues until 2/15.

Meanwhile just had an awful call with AMEX. They could not list one benefit that is better that Platinum, had no explanation as to why Platinum got a $500 off versus Centurion $200 offer, and basically said they did not care if I remained as a Centurion and that the benefits were moving toward "lifestyle". Oh excuse me, they touted the bogus wine program as something that Centurion gets that Platinum does not get. I laughed.
I think your dreaming if you think elite status goes beyond March 2014
US Airways status resets every March 1st. So, I am pretty sure that as long as you have a Cent card prior to 3/1 that your status will be good through the end of the plan year (2/28/15). My guess is that any new cardholder, who joins prior to 3/22/14, will also get status through 2/15.

I don't think that US Airways has a way to terminate FF status mid year. I know that when we have cancelled someone's Cent card mid year they were able to keep all of the FF status until the end of that plan year.
Quote: Its not clear if our status will end on 3/22/14 or continue to 2/15. If US does the same thing CO/UA did for all elite members, with extension of the expiration of elite status for everyone until their systems get combined, it is possible everyone who was elite in 2013 (Centurion and other elite members) will have their status continue until 3/22/14 rather than 2/28. And if that happens, I think we are not elite after that point in 2014.

However if we renew as US Platinum as usual as of 3/1, I agree status continues until 2/15.

Meanwhile just had an awful call with AMEX. They could not list one benefit that is better that Platinum, had no explanation as to why Platinum got a $500 off versus Centurion $200 offer, and basically said they did not care if I remained as a Centurion and that the benefits were moving toward "lifestyle". Oh excuse me, they touted the bogus wine program as something that Centurion gets that Platinum does not get. I laughed.
I guess we knew this day was coming but to me it marks the end of the Centurion program. Maybe that's what Amex wants? I see no reason to keep Centurion.
Quote: I think your dreaming if you think elite status goes beyond March 2014
I think we should be safe for 2014. Every year I buy up from Plat to Chairman. I usually do it in January. It would be pretty tough for US Airways to come to me at the end of March and try to take my Chairman status away.
Quote: I think we should be safe for 2014. Every year I buy up from Plat to Chairman. I usually do it in January. It would be pretty tough for US Airways to come to me at the end of March and try to take my Chairman status away.
Have you checked the buy up prices? I paid $600 last year for Plat to Chairman. Checked today and it's $2300!
Quote: Have you checked the buy up prices? I paid $600 last year for Plat to Chairman. Checked today and it's $2300!
Yeah, I actually just looked and saw the same thing. I paid $900 last year. I am not worried, yet. In past years It has always been that price (this time of year). I think it has to do with when the qualification year ends.

I just looked at my records and I have always bought up in January and the price has been around $900. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the same this one last time. At the very least, I am quite confident that I will be at least Plat for all of 2014. There is no way that US Airways is going to send out Plat cards and say that they are only effective for less than a month.
Official Centurion Email
We are writing to give you advance notice of changes to your travel benefits and to remind you about other exceptional Centurion® travel experiences.

As of March 22, 2014, Centurion Members will no longer receive complimentary access to American Airlines® Admirals Club lounges and US Airways® Club locations. In addition, Centurion Members will no longer receive US Airways Dividend Miles Platinum Preferred status as a benefit of Centurion Membership.

Centurion Members who have enrolled or renewed their US Airways status prior to March 22, 2014 will continue to access Platinum Preferred status benefits through the end of their current membership period.

Special Offer: Up to $500 in Statement Credits

We recognize the inconvenience this may cause you as someone who travels frequently, so we have included you in a special offer. You will receive up to $500 in statement credits toward American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees charged to your Card from March 22, 2014 to December 31, 2014.2 You can use these credits toward:

• Membership fees in the Admirals Club program and US Airways Club
• One-day passes to Admirals Club lounges and US Airways Clubs
• Other American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees like baggage fees or flight change fees

There's no enrollment required, and purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the Card account are eligible for the promotion. These statement credits are in addition to the $200 Airline Fee Credit3 benefit already included in your Membership.*

*American Express relies on accurate airline transaction data to identify incidental fee purchases. If you do not see a credit for a qualifying incidental purchase on your enrolled Card after 4 weeks, simply call the number on the back of your Card. See terms & conditions for more details.

You will continue to have access to a large network of airport lounges, including complimentary access to:

• Delta Sky Clubs®4
• Priority Pass™ Select5 membership for entry to more than 600 participating airport lounges worldwide
• Airspace Lounges™6 in New York (JFK), Cleveland, and Baltimore
My point is - and this is what happened with UA/CO, that US will notify all elite members from 2013 that their 2013 status has been extended until 3/22 when the programs will be merged. In fact UA sent out silly little stickers which annoyed everyone with the new expiration date to put on your card.

Then they will begin the 2014 elite status year on 3/22.

I am just speculating, but there is some precedent to this type of scenario based on what happened with UA/CO.

I really hope you are all correct, and we renew on 3/1, and have status until 2/28/15. I agree that if we renew as of that date they will not subsequently pull it mid-year.
Quote: My point is - and this is what happened with UA/CO, that US will notify all elite members from 2013 that their 2013 status has been extended until 3/22 when the programs will be merged. In fact UA sent out silly little stickers which annoyed everyone with the new expiration date to put on your card.

Then they will begin the 2014 elite status year on 3/22.

I am just speculating, but there is some precedent to this type of scenario based on what happened with UA/CO.

I really hope you are all correct, and we renew on 3/1, and have status until 2/28/15. I agree that if we renew as of that date they will not subsequently pull it mid-year.
Ah, you're right. I had totally forgotten about the stickers that Continental sent me for the merger. I remember thinking how terrible it was that they were just extending for 1 month.

Hopefully US doesn't go that route. Time will tell...
Quote: Centurion Members who have enrolled or renewed their US Airways status prior to March 22, 2014 will continue to access Platinum Preferred status benefits through the end of their current membership period.
Given that airline status expires 2/28 of every year I wonder if the "through the end of the current membership year" means you'd be renewed on 3/1 (seeing as how the benefit doesn't go away till 3/22) and be valid through 2/28/2015

Or alternatively, let's say you were to be added to a Centurion account on 3/1, does that mean you'd still get US (and theoretically AA, if it converts over) status through 2/28/2015?