Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred: Travel Delay Protection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Since we have two threads that both address travel delay & cancellation issues we have decided to close this thread and all future discussion will be in this thread

For an overview of when you're covered and how to file a claim, read this blog post. I compiled a lot of information from this thread, so thank you to all the contributors!

Trip Delay Reimbursement Claim Reports: Post details of your claim under your eligible card. Include the date, reason for delay, length of delay, a general overview of expenses, and anything else you found interesting.

Chase Sapphire Preferred
*01/2014 - Delayed in MSP overnight due to mechanical issues. ~$300 for Hotel Ivy downtown, meals, and ground transportation covered with no issues. Benefits applied to AMEX FHR. Claim processed within 1 week. [Full Report]

*04/2014 - Delayed in DTW overnight due to crew member time-out. ~$400 for DTW Westin and meals covered with no issues. Claim processed within 1 week. Full Report

*07/2016 - Delayed in YYC overnight due to mechanical problems. Claim paid out ~$300. Full report.

Chase Sapphire

United MileagePlus Explorer (personal and business)
*07/2014- Delayed in MSP overnight due to weather at destination. Booked Marriott Mall of America for $120, and meals for 3 and a shirt were all covered. I recommend keeping your current BP for the canceled or delayed flight instead of throwing them away. Makes life a bit easier.

*12/2014 - Trip delay in Washington D.C. (My US Airways flight was delayed because of an equipment problem so I missed my connecting flight and was forced to stay overnight). I was flying on air miles but smartly used my Chase United Explorer Visa to pay the taxes and fees for our flights. Since there were 2 of us (me and my wife) we were eligible up to $1000 total in reimbursements for the 2 tickets. Approved for $632 for a for a 1 night room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Sent in the paperwork immediately after I got back via email and within 2 weeks I got the approval email and a week later got the check! Gratuity was not reimbursed and could not convince them to after a phone call. Hotel Was $380 after tax and this was not a problem.

United MileagePlus Club (personal and business)

Any Ink Business Card (Plus, Bold, Cash)

* 1/2017 - $625 covered on two tickets (myself & family member non-business trip). I used my Ink Plus card to pay taxes on a JetBlue flight that missed a connection due to mechanical maintenance.
Got paid out $625

Used Chase Ink Plus to pay for taxes on my JetBlue award ticket. Traveling with a family member (non-biz related trip).

-$65 from Walgreens (various items)
- 3 Uber rides (to/from hotel, to home)
- Hotel (~$265 after tax) breakfast was included with my hotel status
- $180 meal

They ended up covering tax, tip, and alcohol on my meal. Missed connection was in FLL, we decided to go have a 24 hour holiday in Miami.

Marriot Premier Rewards

Chase Hyatt
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2013, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Original post:

I had originally thought that the CSP travel delay protection benefit was limited to $300, but a Chase rep just told me my limit is $500. Has this changed recently?

Also, has anyone heard of travel expenses being denied under this benefit? I don't plan on using it for anything other than hotels, transportation, and meals, but I usually book through AMEX FHR for hotels. A one-night stay alone could easily push me right up against (or beyond) the $500 limit, and I wouldn't want that expense to be denied for being perceived as "unreasonable."

Edit; 15 October 2014

The wiki is now live! Please feel free to share your trip delay stories above.

Last edited by SansSerif; Jan 27, 2015 at 10:21 pm
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:21 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SansSerif
I had originally thought that the CSP travel delay protection benefit was limited to $300, but a Chase rep just told me my limit is $500. Has this changed recently?

Also, has anyone heard of travel expenses being denied under this benefit?
The comparable coverage on the Explorer card recently went up to $500. As for what's "reasonable", see my experiences in this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20241536-post588.html

(I would expect that the coverage on the CSP is either identical or very similar.)
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Thank you - that info was helpful.

Just to make sure, you didn't have to pay your delay expenses (food, ground transportation, etc.) with your card? As long as you submitted all the necessary documentation?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:20 am

Just to make sure, you didn't have to pay your delay expenses (food, ground transportation, etc.) with your card? As long as you submitted all the necessary documentation?
That is correct, tho I did use it for quite a few - trying to be a good sport.

The only requirement is that part of the original fare needs to be on the card.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 5:27 pm

wow I wish I had known about this type of protection.

recently was on the iad-bah trip that had a rat on the plane and caused the trip to be pushed back a day.

would have been nice to get a comped meal from my credit card instead of a poor 14 dollar food voucher from UA.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Originally Posted by bigbellytraveler
recently was on the iad-bah trip that had a rat on the plane and caused the trip to be pushed back a day.
Only one rat? LSG couldn't just turn that into another burger and get going?

I've used the trip delay reimbursement feature of the Explorer card without issue, so I would expect CSP to be about the same. You do not have to pay the meals and hotel with the same card you used to book the trip. But it's not handled by Chase, rather by Enhancement Services. They tend to ask for copious documentation, so be prepared to do a lot of mailing.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:29 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Sorry to hijack the thread - but what do you need to do if airfare you purchased using your card is delayed? Keep all the receipts for the food/lodging expenses and then just send a secure message to Chase?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by agp423
Sorry to hijack the thread - but what do you need to do if airfare you purchased using your card is delayed? Keep all the receipts for the food/lodging expenses and then just send a secure message to Chase?
You have to call "Enhancement Services". The number is in the benefits guide or the main CS can transfer you. They'll take down the general information on the incident then send you a form to fill out. You either postal mail or fax the form back with all of the documentation they want.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

What was the turnaround time from the day you sent in all the required materials to the day you received your check in the mail?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
It took 6 weeks for mine (or 9 weeks from when I called them, but then it took a while to get proof of delay from the airline).
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:33 pm

What was the turnaround time from the day you sent in all the required materials to the day you received your check in the mail?
As I recall, after a week, then again after another week, I had to send more documentation. Then after about 2 weeks, I had the check. So figure around a month in total. Maybe 6 weeks.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Flight canceled...didn't know I could have gotten reimbursed for hotel/meals from CC!

Hi all,
I recently had my flight canceled due to weather and had to spend money out of my pocket to stay at a hotel that night. However, I was reading over some of the information about my CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED card and saw that one of the perks offered by this card is the following:

"When a covered trip is delayed more than 12 hours or requires an overnight stay due to a covered event, expenses incurred as a result of the delay, such as meals and lodging, can be reimbursed."

Unfortunatly, my company paid for the flight, so my card was not used. If I had use this card to pay for the flight, would I have been able to get reimbursed for my hotel and meals? That's pretty neat. I had no idea something like this was available for certain cards. I will definitely use this card again in the future.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Is a misconnect considered a travel delay?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by doss1
Hi all,
I recently had my flight canceled due to weather and had to spend money out of my pocket to stay at a hotel that night. However, I was reading over some of the information about my CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED card and saw that one of the perks offered by this card is the following:

"When a covered trip is delayed more than 12 hours or requires an overnight stay due to a covered event, expenses incurred as a result of the delay, such as meals and lodging, can be reimbursed."

Unfortunatly, my company paid for the flight, so my card was not used. If I had use this card to pay for the flight, would I have been able to get reimbursed for my hotel and meals? That's pretty neat. I had no idea something like this was available for certain cards. I will definitely use this card again in the future.
I assume your company paid for your expenses though, so probably not a big deal

I have to use a corporate card for corporate travel, so I don't get these benefits, but I don't need them when the company's paying.

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Is a misconnect considered a travel delay?
If a misconnect involves a 12 hour or overnight delay, and the misconnect wasn't your fault, then I assume you're fine.

I filed a claim last week. I had to overnight in ORD after UA canceled my connection due to weather. I made sure I got the delay verification from in the United Club before leaving.

They said I could email the claim form, so I did that rather than fax or mail. I haven't heard anything back though. I'm hoping this all goes smoothly

Definitely my favorite benefit of the card.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:46 pm
Suspended

A Chase rep told me that travel delay due to weather is not covered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.