Print Wikipost

Oz Fest #11. "The Red Centre" Australia. Memorial Day Weekend, May 23-25, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Oz Fest #11. "The Red Centre" Australia. Memorial Day Weekend, May 23-25, 2014

Oz Fest #11" – "The Red Centre" Northern Territory - Memorial Day Weekend, May 24-26, 2014

There have been 10 successful OzFests so far - in Sydney, (twice) Brisbane, Melbourne, Hobart Tasmania, Cairns Queensland, Adelaide South Australia, Darwin Northern Territory, Canberra in the ACT, and lastly, Perth Western Australia in 2013.

There are near no other large annual FT Doos outside the USA that have chalked up 11 years running AFAIK.

Polling of FT'ers who attended Perth, and via many private emails seems to have decided that the choice for 2104 will be -

The Red Centre - Alice Springs & Uluru/Ayers Rock, Northern Territory

The location of which, for the benefit of our overseas members is shown below - right between nowhere and nowhere.

See Australia - via OZFESTS!

Democracy rules supreme with all OzFest’s, and after some emails with Itsalongwaydown and serfty and Mwenenzi and Sarah, ozbeachbabe, I have started this thread today to officially kick off OzFest #11.

This location has been identified as a very interesting location that will work fine, and be somewhere an Ozfest has NOT been held in before.

As always we will get a very good roll-out, made up as always, as history assures us, of a fair % of folks who stated early on they will "absolutely 100% not be coming to that location because .............."

The very strong feeling prevailing among those I spoke to in Perth was that 2015 was a perfect year to spread our wings a little, and aim for a NEW ZEALAND location. I feel sure that will occur. Hopefully one or more of our Kiwi Cousins can offer more suggestions for there later on.

April 25, 2015 marks the Gallipoli Centenary, an historic date for citizens of both countries. To many, Gallipoli marked when both young new Nations truly 'became of age', and became real countries in their own right. Both saw a high % of their male population volunteer to fight in a foreign war, with an equally high casualty rate. Anyway, we are getting ahead of OzFest #11.

Hobart had 40 members signed up - pretty amazing seeing only one attending was a local, Cairns saw 59 turning up – just beating out by 1 the then previous record attendance of any OzFest - number #2 in Sydney - 58 attendees.

Adelaide was a little too big, with 75 attendees, but not all of whom were active FT'ers causing some issues. The slightly less accessible Darwin kept numbers down to previous sort of levels - 44. Canberra had 51 "Platinums" sign up. Perth had a surprisingly large number of Platinums - 59 - an equal record number of attendees - pretty amazing given the cost and distance of attending for most -

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18671737-post3.html

The "OzFest" threads each attract between 35,000 and 57,000 page views - pretty outstanding records for any FT Doos anywhere. Each thread runs to very many 100s, well into the 1000+ post numbers. Perth 2013 had near 50,000 page views, and 825 posts, so interest stayed high.

"The Red Centre" will attract lesser numbers I feel sure, as airline access is not really ideal, but the 40 or so FT'ers that take this reality on board will enjoy the weekend I am sure, and be true OzFesters to get there and back.

Sarah has spent a good deal of time behind the scenes, and got some plans and costs in place that she will I am sure share with us later on here.

My personal plan idea that will work well I think, and book flights based on this I suggest -

1. Friday - START in Alice Springs with a Friday night dinner. Overnight Alice. We arrive on a direct Qantas flight at 12.25pm so doubtless others will be about, to have an initial lunch on Friday.

2. Spend Saturday in and around that town (there is a lot to see nearby) with Welcome Dinner on Saturday night. Overnight Alice.

3. Then charter a large coach to drive Alice Springs to Uluru/Ayers Rock on Sunday. Several of us looked up the time span to do that in Perth, and it is about 6 or so hours normal driving.

There are a number of interesting things to see spread along the journey - DO take a look at this thread before the inevitable few moans about long drives across desert

http://traveloutbackaustralia.com/dr...ers-rock.html/

So my plan would be to do that as an early start full day, with a lunch stop en-route.

Overnight Sunday at Uluru and Sunday dinner there too. We will undoubtedly be able to talk to hotel to get a deal for combined accommodation and dinner there.

Uluru accommodation is limited and expensive, and that will be the way to go I think.

Coach would take us on a circuit of the Rock Sunday evening at Sunset, where by far the best photos are to be had.

4. Monday morning, we can almost certainly get to the nearby Olgas or whatever they are called these days - photoshoot dream. If we book the large bus for ourselves for 2 days we can do that kind of thing, and split 40 ways or so, the cost will be reasonable to all.

Members will mostly choose to fly out Monday, as we will likely do, as Virgin has a daily direct flight to SYD from Uluru.

Monday May 26 - VA 1628 - depart Uluru 13.45 - arrive SYD - 17.20

Bill was hoping to talk to a contact at Virgin about a group fare if enough folks wanted to be on the ULURU-SYD flight 1.45pm Monday. Sarah got prices for Qantas flights beween ULURU-ALICE SPRINGS as some will prefer to fly out of there.

Some will choose to linger a day or so more at Uluru to climb the rock etc, and that will be possible of course.

MargoZ and I will certainly be among the first confirmed starters to attend, barring any calamities, and as with all the other Oz Fests, I'll be pleased to assist where I can, and if required.

I have attended all OzFests, and will not miss Number ELEVEN.

I've been to both Alice and Uluru several times, so no personal reason to go there, but a great location for many overseas visitors, the purpose of OzFests, and indeed masses of ozzies have neither been to either.

Regrettably I do not have as much free time as I once did, and can't add much to the mix, but hopefully we can get the basics pulled together. Bill thought he might be able to make a "reccie" visit there to assist with that.

(Bill) Itsalongwaydown and I have been in contact on this, and Bill and Sue are also certain attendees for The Red Centre. Bill as always has offered to lend a willing hand in the planning and cat herding, that is associated with these large events, and helped mentor the ground organisers in Canberra and Perth where needed.

Other volunteers will I am sure add links to activities and suggestions for The Red Centre in the next few posts, so we can get it all moving along.

Mwenenzi has offered really invaluable back-up those helping organise all the previous Ozfests, and to ALL members and has agreed he’ll be able to assist again – I am sure he will "place-marker" several early posts to add to later, as he always does and assist.

He will hopefully be tracking attendees and hotels and activity sign ups etc via his legendary and super detailed Excel spread sheets, and trust he can join us in person for this one. These are incredibly time consuming to keep updated, and all attendees owe him a huge vote of thanks.

If anyone is good with detail, and is happy to volunteer to co-ordinate the payment website, please by all means put up your hand! Not my scene, as small detail is not my forte, but getting that side of things under control early on, will ensure a smooth event.

Serfty looks to be the “king of airline movements” for attendees to and from, and his most useful link to that aspect for Cairns, Adelaide, Darwin, Canberra and Perth helped lots of members buddy up for Cabs etc, and book seats together, and cut costs etc, and hopefully he can assist here again in 2014.

Flights in and out of these places are nowhere near as frequent or as flexible as large capital cities, but we are Flyertalkers and will cope with the existing realities. The airline gurus here will I am sure post deals and routes and options possible to fly into Alice and fly out of Uluru for various cities.

And hopefully we can once again call on the falconea’s to be name tag/table tag supremos, and we are well on our way! :d

*A Flyer (David) did a really wonderful job as lead organiser on the ground in Canberra hometown and also in Perth, when the locals did not take up the baton and run with it as we had expected, and we all owe him thanks for a superb job well done there.

There are of course a VERY limited choice of ‘major’ brand Hotels in The Red Centre ... I'll let others expand on that aspect. That is a bit of an issue.

There is a Hilton Doubletree, and that is where I'll be staying for sure. They have a ton of great offers and rates are MOST affordable - around a THIRD that of Perth!

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hot...fers/index.htm

Having ONE central hotel location that most folks use, is a VERY large plus I always feel. The long bus delay on Saturday in Canberra, and messing about driving all over Perth CBD are prime examples where FT'ers being at one place is a HUGE plus.

And it gives the organisers some leverage to extract a great group booking deal, instead of 50 FT’ers being like Brown’s cows, and all doing their own thing.

We will always get the few who insist the Todd River Bed Motel is $2 a night less, and only 20 minutes away from the Doubletree, and they will always be with us, bless their souls.

The May "Memorial Day" weekend seems very popular with USA based Flyer-talkers, and that is the weekend that was most favoured by far. We have bowed to that request, and again chosen that weekend - as we have for all other OzFests. Around half the attendees are US based at each OzFest.

That public holiday in the USA is Monday May 26, 2014. Remember if you LEAVE Sydney on afternoon of Monday May 26, you ARRIVE back in the USA also on the morning of Monday May 26.

Tons of time no matter where you live in the USA, to get back home, unpack, have an early night and get organised for a day at the office next day etc.

Mid afternoon is the usual flight time back for United, who have direct daily flights from SYD to the west coast (to both LAX and SFO) ex Sydney.

The weather for the past 10 "Oz Fests" has been in general, superb and sunny. Despite June 1 - a few days later, being our official Winter start date. Even in Tasmania our most southern city, we were truly blessed with unusually nice weather.

We all thought Canberra would be a weather challenge for sure, but the Saturday and Sunday gave quite perfect weather.

The Red Centre, is desert pretty much, so for overseas attendees, you can near certainly count on a weather friendly weekend!

I get the feeling this as usual, may also turn out to be a very long thread.

Gentleman ... please start your Engines .....................

Glen

Last edited by ozstamps; Nov 4, 2013 at 10:25 pm
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Margoz and ozstamps are IN for The Red Centre!

Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
OzFest flights

See mwenenzie's great spreadsheet: (google docs)

Flights

Last edited by serfty; May 19, 2014 at 3:54 pm Reason: Flights link added ...
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Updated 19:30 21 May (Aust EDST) up to post 520 & for PM/emails

Attendees

Registration and Payment Arrangements
Update 30 April 2014 Web site to book activities All activities AUD $431 Post 320

Update 16 May 2014 Update of airport transfers
Due to good work by Ozbeachbabe Airport to Double tree transfers are available for those arriving about 12:30 on Friday as Post 427. This will be the Oz Fest bus later taking pax for the Desert Park Friday tour. Oz Fest booking link
Fri 23 May arrival transfer for the 15 pax on QF790 arriving ASP 1220 (ex SYD) & 1 pax ex QF723 at 1200 (ex ADL).

Attendees to be updated from time to time.
Please Private Message error's & omissions or email:- ozfest at mail.com (NOT gmail)

Count Down Clock
Map here. Then click blue marble in the map

Have taken the liberty of making some serial offenders (**) Platinum or Gold

Platinum - Confirmed (in order of confirming will attend including PM & emails)
  1. ozstamps SYD
  2. MargoOz SYD
  3. Itsalongwaydown SXE
  4. Sue Oz SXE
  5. serfty MEL
  6. ozbeachbabe BNE
  7. CDKing BOS/ORH (has booked flights)
  8. gvdIAD IAD/DCA (has booked flights)
  9. Fredd SEA **
  10. Mrs Fredd SEA **
  11. chchkiwi CHC
  12. penegal MEL/SIN
  13. JohnK BNE/SYD
  14. Efrem BOS
  15. falconea MEL
  16. Mr falconea MEL
  17. restlessinRNO RNO
  18. JessicaTam MEL
  19. fifa NSW
  20. Mr fifa NSW
  21. MikeMpls MSP
  22. Mrs MikeMpls MSP
  23. QF WP BNE
  24. Mrs QF WP BNE
  25. spaceman IAD
  26. cat207 GLT
  27. cat207_+1 GLT
  28. tom911 SFO
  29. storyteller BNE
  30. boxo CA
  31. terbang124 SYD (from AFF)
  32. Mrs terbang124 SYD (from AFF)
  33. redtigeriii PDX
  34. tuapekastar MEL
  35. Bundy Bear PER
  36. JohnSydney2000 SYD
  37. kpc SYD

Gold Probable- Maybe
Silver - Interested
Bronze - can't make it
  1. To Market to Market MEL
  2. dedehans MLB
  3. dedehans_+1 MLB
  4. monitor NYC **
  5. Fran NYC **
  6. jozdemir_+1 PER
  7. og SYD
  8. SQ421 CBR
  9. beckoa ANC MRI (and had a QF award flight in first LAX-SYD)
  10. Efrem_+1 BOS
  11. flospi Switzerland
  12. TEX277 HKG
  13. Mrs TEX277 HKG
  14. g-day SYD
  15. Jackal MDT
  16. *A Flyer CBR
  17. Flashware LHR
  18. lowjhg CBR / SIN
  19. smat SFO
  20. pooch SYD
  21. wijomas AKL
  22. crankychick AKL
  23. jozdemir PER
  24. BiziBB SYD
  25. Mrs BiziBB SYD
  26. TachOz PER? (Last FT Activity: Feb 4, 14 2:25 pm)
  27. BOB W ANC
  28. MartinMemo MEL
  29. miffSC CAE,AGS

link to flights/activites/hotel google spreadsheet
Subscribe to this thread using thread tools (top of the page).
Or just click here: Subscribe to Oz Fest 11 – Red Centre Australia

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 22, 2014 at 4:51 pm Reason: Updated
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Ayers Rock Hotel Information

The main (all?) Uluru (Ayers Rock) Resort Hotels are Accor managed - and expensive!

Sails in the Desert, a member of Pullman Hotels

Emu walk Apartments, a member of Grand Mercure Apartments

Desert Gardens, a member of Novotel Hotels

Outback Pioneer, a member of Ibis Styles

We stayed at Sails in the later 90's and back then I could only liken it to a glorified Motel - it may have changed.

Last edited by serfty; Nov 5, 2013 at 3:58 pm
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Activities & Who is doing what:

Oz Fest 11 takes place in Alice Springs USA Memorial Day weekend from Friday 23 May 2014 to Sunday 25 May 2014 involving a full program of activities to show off the best of the Red Centre

Who is doing what here link to google spreadsheet Click the activities tab

Registration and Payment Arrangements
Update 30 April 2014 Web site to book activities All activities AUD $431 Post 320
The Oz Fest team has based costs on a majority of people attending a majority of activities (based on know flights). This is particularly important where a bus will be hired. If not enough people sign up for the Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday tours, it may be necessary to ask pax for some more $$$. Due to commitments the Oz Fest team has made/will make to suppliers/vendors no refunds are possible, unless another person takes your place. The cost includes the fees (~2.75%) Oz Fest pay to the trybooking web site. There is a small additional fee paid by you when you book.

Any inquiries should be directed to OzFest at mail.com [not gmail] or PM Ozbeachabe.
Thanks to *A Flyer for assisting in setting up the trybooking site

Registration should take place as soon as possible to facilitate the organization and planning of Oz Fest.
However, we understand that it may not be possible to confirm your attendance immediately.
Note that you do not need to attend all activates at Oz Fest. Tickets are available for the whole weekend or for each activity.

The venues for meals have varied menu's to suit all tastes & dietary constraints. (please fill out in the booking process)
At the meals drinks can be paid for individually by those who like a champagne/wine/beer/orange juice/water. We appreciate some like to drink a little more than others.

Friday 23rd May
Update 15 May 2014 Update of airport transfers
Due to good work by Ozbeachbabe Airport to Double tree transfers are available for those arriving about 12:30 on Friday. This will be the Oz Fest bus taking pax for the Desert Park Friday tour. Oz Fest booking link
Fri 23 May arrival transfer for the 15 pax on QF790 arriving ASP 1220 (ex SYD) & 1 pax ex QF723 at 1200 (ex ADL).
Oz Fest START Alice Springs Sightseeing tour at 13:30. Dinner on Friday for those who arrive Thursday or Friday morning. Overnight in Alice. Many will be staying at the Doubletree Hilton.

Update 04 Mar 2014 by ozbeachbabe: Planned activities for Friday 23rd May as post 208
- Airport transfer See post 10 for self booking details
- Desert Park at 1430 (Oz Fest coach)
- Desert Park & Nocturnal Tour (Oz Fest coach)
- Dinner at Overlander's Steakhouse & transfers from/to hotel by Oz Fest coach

Option A: Dinner only at Overlander's Steakhouse AUD$90
Option B: Desert Park and Dinner at Overlander's Steakhouse AUD$120
Option C: Desert Park, nocturnal tour & dinner at Overlander's Steakhouse AUD$140
If anyone wants to go Desert Park only and not the dinner please let us know

Saturday 24th May
Activities in and around the Alice. There is a lot to see and do nearby, as post 8 below
Oz Fest dinner on the Saturday evening. Overnight in Alice. Many will be staying at the Doubletree Hilton.

Update 05 Mar 2014 by ozbeachbabe: Planned activities for Saturday 24th May as post 211
Morning Tour AUD$60
- School of the Air
- Historic Telegraph Station
- Royal Flying Doctors Service
- Anzac Hill

Oz Fest Dinner Hanuman Restaurant, which is located in the Doubletree Hotel AUD $52. (Drinks are extra)

Sunday 25th May
Oz Fest group bus/coach from Alice Springs to Uluru / Ayers Rock with stops & diversions along the way. Will take to 5 to 6 hours. A typical sample here. A better outback experience than flying ASP AYQ. Possibly a sunset sightseeing around The Rock. Followed by a dinner. We are researching for a group deal for accommodation.

Update 15 Mar 2014 by ozbeachbabe: More information on group tour as post 223
Update 16 Mar 2014 by ozbeachbabe: More information on Sundays activities tour as post 224
Day trip AUD $180 (inclusive of $25 National Park fee)
- 0615 - Bus to Uluru (Ayres Rock)
- Breakfast at Stuarts Well Roadhouse ~0730
- Atila (Mt.Conner) lookout arriving around for morning tea ~0930
- Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) National Park and lunch ~1300
- Uluru Cultural Centre ~1400, base tour and Mala & Mutitjulu walks
- Sunset viewing of the changing colours of Uluru with drinks & nibbles

Monday 26th May
Nothing planned as many are flying out at 10:30 on QF1940

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 20, 2014 at 5:27 pm Reason: update
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Updated 19:30 21 May (Aust EST) up to post 520 & for PM/emails

Hotels
Will list where people are staying. Please Private Message error's & omissions or email:- ozfest at mail.com (NOT gmail)

Alice Springs
Choices are limited for 4 & 5 star hotels
Google Alice Springs Hotels
http://www.tourism.thealice.com.au/accommodation.html

Google Map

Doubletree by Hilton Web site
82 Barrett Drive
- ozstamps & MargoOz
- CDKing
- lowjhg Now bronze
- MartinMemo Now bronze
- JessicaTam
- MikeMpls & Mrs MikeMpls
- jozdemir Now bronze
- cat207 & cat207_+1
- JohnK
- QF WP & Mrs QF WP
- Itsalongwaydown & Sue Oz Thurs Fri & Sat
- fifa & Mr fifa
- redtigeriii
- terbang124 & Mrs terbang124
- Fredd & Mrs Fredd
- restlessinRNO
- gvdIAD
- serfty Saturday 24 May only
- spaceman
- chchkiwi
- storyteller
- Efrem
- tuapekastar
- Bundy Bear
- falconea & Mr falconea
- JohnSydney2000
- kpc

Chifley Alice Springs Resort Web site
34 Stott Terrace, Alice Springs

Aurora Alice Springs Web site
Aurora Alice Springs 11 Leichhardt Terrace, Alice Springs
Heavitree Gap Outback Lodge Palm Circuit, Alice Springs

Ibis Styles (previously All Seasons) Web site

Lasseters Hotel & Casino Web site
93 Barrett Dr, Alice Springs

Desert Palms
74 Barrett Drive, Alice Springs
3.5 star

From CDKings' post 62 (thanks) 07 Nov
Originally Posted by CDKing
Outback pioneer hotel rooms from the link to the Accor hotels website only go as low as the Budget room with ensuite bathroom. They also have rooms w/ shared bath for $198 AUD or they have a hostel as well for about $50 AUD bookable on the following site http://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/bookings/
Update 28 March 2014 from post 261 by ozbeachbabe
The rates quoted by Accor are identical to what is currently available on the website i.e. they didn't do us any favours by going direct to them.
< snip >
If there was an Accor promo or sale between now & the above dates we could still cancel as long as it was outside the above dates.
Update 2 April 2014 Current pricing and options post 280 by QF WP

Web site Ayers Rock Accommodation & Pricing

Sails in the Desert -Pullman Hotels Accor Web site
- lowjhg Now bronze

Desert Gardens - Novotel Hotels Accor Web site
- Itsalongwaydown & Sue Oz Sun & Mon
- Fredd & Mrs Fredd
- terbang124 & Mrs terbang124
- storyteller

Emu walk Apartments Accor Web site
- Boxo
- Penegal
- serfty
- tom911
- MikeMpls & Mrs MikeMpls
- QF WP & Mrs QF WP
- ozstamps & MargoOz
- CDKing
- fifa & Mr fifa
- gvdIAD
- chchkiwi
- restlessinRNO
- Bundy Bear
- falconea & Mr falconea
- JohnSydney2000

Outback Pioneer - Ibis Hotel Accor web site & local web site
- MartinMemo Bronze

Outback Pioneer Lodge Local web site
- Redtigeriii

Not going to Ayers Rock
- spaceman
- JessicaTam
- JohnK
- tuapekastar
- kpc

Gives a guide of what is available, but not all. Has good map links
Booking direct with the hotel can be better value: get hotel points, status recognition, etc

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 21, 2014 at 3:37 am Reason: updated
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Getting to & About Alice Springs – Ayers Rock/Uluru, Northern Territories, Australia
(click on the blue link)

Map here. Then click blue marble in the map

Some general information
Alice Springs and surrounds
Alice Springs Wikipedia
Uluru and surrounds
Uluru / Ayers Rock Wikipedia
www.uluru-australia.com
Central Australia Wikipedia
The Alice
Uluru you will be wowed (from post 187 by Itsalongwaydown)

Twenty reasons to visit Alice Springs
Alice Springs Desert Park
Flying Doctor Visitor Centre
Road Transport Hall of fame
Driving from Alice Springs to Ayers Rock

Alice Springs events
Alice Springs info - NT Government web site
Outback Events May 2014

a) By Air to/from Alice Springs
There are daily flights from Alice Springs Airport to Adelaide, Ayers Rock (Uluru), Cairns, Darwin, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. There are also direct flights a few times a week to Brisbane. Two airlines serve Alice Springs: Qantas and Tiger Airways Australia. Virgin Australia made an appearance in Alice Springs for a short time, before it was undercut by Qantas. (source Wikipedia Nov 2013)
Alice airport web site.
http://www.alicespringsairport.com.au/route-map

On 02 Nov 2013 for travel on 22 May Qantas had SYD & MEL to/from ASP at AUD$300 (red e-deal ) to AUD$900 (fully flex) (and more) for one way in economy. $1500 one way in business. Business classic award seats were available at 36,000 QF points & $80 fees (QF freq flyer programme).

On 02 Nov 2013 for travel 22 May Tiger Airways had one way flights MEL & SYD to/from Alice Springs (ASP) at AUD$90 and then optional add on’s of $22 for 20kg baggage, $13 for food, $3 for que jump, $13 for insurance and/or $5/$10/$29 for seat selection, all followed by a $17 credit card booking fee. All up for the best seat, 20kg luggage and all options this is AUD$187 one way. Beware of the t&c's, particularly for carry-on luggage. Tiger Airways is low cost airline. Tiger is now owned by Virgin Australia, but operates independently.

Qantas Award availability to Alice (ASP) from Oz gateway cities by ozbeachbabe (post 69 on 09 Nov) (thanks )

b) To/from Uluru / Ayers Rock
By road Uluru is about 450 km-280 miles and 4~5 hours driving from Alice.

Virgin Fly SYD AYQ (Uluru). VA route map

Qantas Award seats ex Alice (ASP) & Ayers Rock (AYQ) Mon 26 May to Oz gateway cities by ozbeachbabe (post 82 on 13 Nov) (thanks )
Qantas (QF) fly to/from AYQ (including AYQ ASP)
Jetstar(JQ) fly to/from AYQ to SYD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayers_Rock_Airport
http://www.uluru-australia.com/about...-rock-airport/

Time tables – more flight numbers to follow
VA1628 Monday May 26 depart AYQ(Uluru 13:45 - arrive SYD 17:20

c) By Rail to/from Alice
Great Southern Rail (GSR) run the Ghan train twice each week from Adelaide to Alice to Darwin. & return. Departs Adelaide on Sunday’s & Wednesday’s
b) http://www.railmaps.com.au/journey_r...rigin=adelaide
Looking on 06 Nov for Adelaide to Alice Springs on The Ghan
Departs 21 May 2014 at 12:20PM, Arrives 22 May 2014 at 01:45PM, 1 x Gold Single Cabin Adult $809
(A combined rail - air package can at times be better value)

d) By Road
It is a loooong road trip across the country from the east coast or west. It’s the Red Centre after all.

Alice and Ayers Rock / Uluru FT threads
26 Feb 2014 - Ayers Rock Uluru help
02 Jan 2014 - Destination guide Uluru Alice advice (Australian Freq Flyer)
16 Jan 2013 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...4-summary.html
27 Sep 2013 - Outback Pioneer Hotel & Lodge in Yulara (Accor - Ibis Styles) very good photos
27 Sep 2013 - 26 Hours in The Red Centre - Ayers Rock (Uluru) and The Olgas (Kata Tjuta) very good photos
17 Sep 2013 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...-december.html
24 Aug 2013- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...28-2013-a.html
12 Jul 2013 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...y-qf-pics.html good Trip Report
26 May 2013 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...gs-canyon.html
17 May 2013 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/le-cl...l#post21516437
04 May 2013 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...australia.html
25 Mar 2013 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...melbourne.html
16 Jan 2013 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ay-2013-a.html
21 Sep 2012 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/le-cl...a-novotel.html
21 Oct 2012- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...e-springs.html
04 Jan 2012 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...yers-rock.html (last post Jan 2014)
03 Apr 2011 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...ort-rules.html
29 Apr 2010 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...ude-131-a.html
20 Jul 2010 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...-need-car.html
26 Apr 2009- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...not-uluru.html
30 May 2005 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...ngs-uluru.html
29 May 2006 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...ce-needed.html (last post Apr 2011)

Other
The correct map of the world, with Australia where it really is (at the top)
Australia compared to the USA
Australia vs USA map
Australia vs Europe map

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 18, 2014 at 4:17 pm Reason: update
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

History Of Oz Fests click here for the map
Oz Fest 01: 2004 22 attended in Sydney [how it all started The very first]
Oz Fest 02: 2005
58 attended in Sydney
Oz Fest 03: 2006
28 attended in Brisbane
Oz Fest 04: 2007
47 attended in Melbourne
Oz Fest 05: 2008
38 attended in Hobart
Oz Fest 06: 2009
59 attended in Cairns
Oz Fest 07: 2010
71 attended in Adelaide
Oz Fest 08: 2011
44 attended in Darwin
Oz Fest 09: 2012
51 attended in Canberra
Oz Fest 10: 2013
59 attended in Perth
Oz Fest 11: 2014
37 attended in Alice Springs-Ayers Rock

203 individual FTer's have attended Oz Fest 1 to Oz Fest 10 inclusive at an average of 2.31 per person
Up to and including Oz fest 10
10 :-::-::-::-::-::-::-::-::-::-: FTer for attending all 10 previous Oz Fests
ozstamps

9 :-: FTer's for attending 9 previous Oz Fests
QF WP
restlessinRNO
Serfty

8 :-: FTer's for attending 8 previous Oz Fests
Itsalongwaydown
Sue Oz
MargoOz
kpc
To Market to Market
JohnSydney2000

7 :-: FTer's for attending 7 previous Oz Fests
Fredd
Mrs Fredd
Bundy Bear
gvdIAD
JohnK
Perthite
Spaceman

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 30, 2014 at 5:19 am
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Updated 21:00 20 May (Aust EST) up to post 496 & for PM/emails

Flights of people to Red Centre for Oz Fest 11
Until a more elegant presentation by serfty as his post place holder above link to flights google spreadsheet
Of 147 flights AC2, CA 3, JQ 2, OZ 1, QF 111, NZ 2, SQ 3, TG 6, TT 2, VA 8 and UA 5

ASP Airport transfers April
Due to logistical issues the Oz Fest team was not able to arrange pre booked transfers.
Options for people to arrange the transfer themselves are Alice Springs Airport Shuttle Transfer or Alice Springs Taxi. (Unsure how accurate the taxi cost is)
Taxi phone 131008 Aust wide

Post 352 (link fixed)
Originally Posted by ozbeachbabe
Here is a link for taxi companies from the Alice Springs Airport site.
http://www.alicespringsairport.com.a...vate-hire-cars
Update 16 May 2014 Update of airport transfers
Due to good work by Ozbeachbabe Airport to Hilton Double Tree transfers are available for those arriving about 12:30 on Friday as Post 427. This will be the Oz Fest bus later taking pax for the Desert Park Friday tour. Oz Fest booking link

Warning for those with CA award flights (01 April 2014): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ed-hacked.html

Flight schedules (subject to change)
Code:

From ASP							
Flight 	From	Time	Date	To	Time	Date	Frequency
QF1935	ASP	09:50	26-May	PER	11:45	26-May	daily
QF797	ASP	11:50	26-May	MEL	14:55	26-May	daily
QF722	ASP	12:50	26-May	ADL	14:50	26-May	daily
QF1936	ASP	12:55	26-May	DRW	14:00	26-May	1 2 3 4 5 7
QF791	ASP	13:10	26-May	SYD	16:25	26-May	daily
QF1948	ASP	17:20	26-May	CNS	20:00	26-May	daily

QF1935	ASP	09:50	27-May	PER	11:45	27-May	daily
TT292	ASP	10:50	27-May	SYD	14:05	27-May	2
QF797	ASP	11:50	27-May	MEL	14:55	27-May	daily
TT733	ASP	11:55	27-May	MEL	15:00	27-May	2
QF722	ASP	12:50	27-May	ADL	14:50	27-May	daily
QF1936	ASP	12:55	27-May	DRW	14:00	27-May	1 2 3 4 5 7
QF791	ASP	13:10	27-May	SYD	16:25	27-May	daily
QF1948	ASP	17:20	27-May	CNS	20:00	27-May	daily
1=Monday 2=Tuesday 3=Wednesday 4=Thursday 5=Friday 6=Saturday 7=Sunday
QF=Qantas; VA=Virgin Australia; JQ=Jetstar; TT=Tiger Airways

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 20, 2014 at 5:19 am Reason: Update
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Great updates Mwenenzi ... saves members a large amount of searching around!
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Allan came up with a far neater OzFest map than my humble web skills could provide.

Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Oooooh, I know many of you were not thrilled with ASP, but I must say, I am. Please put me at Bronze.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Sorry, I meant Silver.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Please record me as Platinum. If I can't make Ozfest, then there's not much hope for any other DO! Very pleased that Uluru is part of the event and makes it even more worth the effort. Will start researching flights and digs and get something nailed down in the near future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.