Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Subscribe
As a original in AA and UA frequent flyer programs circa early 80's, I feel the pain. Having been downgraded in the merger from executive platinum for life to gold but being able to add a partner (my wife has her own butt in seat million plus ) so no value there. The realistic conclusion is buy the seat! As all the carriers upgrade to flat seats it won't make a difference in loyalty. We are heading back to the basic price vs time vs value,and hopefully even going back to awarding actual flying passengers. I've got hundreds of thousands for my grandkids to use, but when I want to go where I want to go. I'll try once to use the miles then buy a real ticket from the airline who give me what I want, when I want, at the lowest price.
People, stop writing your complaints here. Contact united. Let them know.
There was an article on Flyertalk earlier this week that Jeff may be on his way out. If we protest enough, we may help to push him out the door. All he thinks about is new planes.

What are the best ways to express our displeasure that count!

Hello AA!
Quote: People, stop writing your complaints here. Contact united. Let them know.
They know. Have you visited Twitter? Type #unitedunfriendly and enjoy the show.
How far in advance can you book rewards flights? I'd been planning a trip to europe in May using my miles - will I be able to book before Jan 31 and get the old rates?
Someone at USAir deserves a BIG FAT RAISE. US has been selling miles for nothing, causing LX to stop offering F awards and SQ to stop offering F and J awards.......UA now has no choice but to make such a ridiculous decision, which will surly cause another exodus of passengers, bad press, etc. And all this while US slips away into the night and moves to OW. The mileage sales from US are IMHO the biggest reason for such ridiculous redemption increases, and what is si fricking funny is US is leaving, and doing more damamge to UA then I could have ever imagined
Quote: Someone at USAir deserves a BIG FAT RAISE. US has been selling miles for nothing, causing LX to stop offering F awards and SQ to stop offering F and J awards.......UA now has no choice but to make such a ridiculous decision, which will surly cause another exodus of passengers, bad press, etc. And all this while US slips away into the night and moves to OW. The mileage sales from US are IMHO the biggest reason for such ridiculous redemption increases, and what is si fricking funny is US is leaving, and doing more damamge to UA then I could have ever imagined
Wait, what?

US selling miles caused LX/SQ to restrict *A inventory, yes. How does affect anything UA was doing? While we don't know what *A airlines were paying each other for award seats, LX/SQ chose to not offer the seats at all rather than (presumably) raise prices, something that might be cause for UA to justify a partner devaluation.
Why do I get the feeling United doesn't want overentitled me anymore.
I'm past mourning-relieved we cashed in our miles a week ago-and now trying to figure out strategy.

If we are stuck with UA only, how will we find availability for anything? I can only travel peak periods (got kids), am always looking for business class international, and finding seats was hard enough when partners were the same price! Should we double down on UA to hit its new requirements, betting the seats will somehow be there, or just give up on MP altogether?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post
LAST STRAW..............GOOD BYE UA, HELLO AA. The Only reason I stuck it out this long with UA was for the F awards on LH. Id rather pay the fuel surcharges and take BA or just take CX to Asia. UA just took the ONLY reason I've stuck with them this long away
Quote: I'm surprised to hear you say that.. Have you considered expressing your through to Martin Hand? IIRC, you had the convo with him earlier in the year..
I am surprised too as you just have 20th anniversary celebration with MP.
I hope you can express your opinion to the high end as well.
After all, we don't have that channel.
Quote: How far in advance can you book rewards flights? I'd been planning a trip to europe in May using my miles - will I be able to book before Jan 31 and get the old rates?
That depends entirely on whether you can find a suitable award ticket before January 31 - and as a result of this announcement, I'd say your chances now are not good (since a lot of people now want to burn miles before the devaluation hits).
Quote: The mileage sales from US are IMHO the biggest reason for such ridiculous redemption increases, and what is si fricking funny is US is leaving, and doing more damage to UA then I could have ever imagined
I don't think the sharp increase in UA redemption levels is attributed to USair and its aggressive miles selling practice.

I think the reason behind all this mess is LH management, which is the obvious one to push UA to increase their mileage redemption levels to be in line to LH M&M levels and to stop those bloggers who brag about flying LH F class for $2K across the Atlantic and heading to the far east. LH is the DEVIL.
Quote: I just cannot believe it - couldn't United have done a simple 10% increase every year???
Of course they can't make it that simple, UA has a team dedicated to decimate MileagePlus and all elites.

I've spent all night looking for award space and destinations I plan to visit. Redeemed 5 tickets so far, all on *A J, still a few more to go...
Quote: I don't think the sharp increase in UA redemption levels is attributed to USair and its aggressive miles selling practice.

I think the reason behind all this mess is LH management, which is the obvious one to push UA to increase their mileage redemption levels to be in line to LH M&M levels and to stop those bloggers who brag about flying LH F class for $2K across the Atlantic and heading to the far east. LH is the DEVIL.
What does this has to do with US and LH?
UA increases redemption rate in almost every category and all *A partners.
It's because of SMI/J.
Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. Feb. 2014
And to think that all my reluctant visits to Walmart resulted in this lousy dividend..