Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2013, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

thought i would start this thread since there are ones for krogers and safeway in this forum and i love stocking up on gift cards during stop & shop's 2x gas reward promos!! mods please move this post as appropriate!

basically stop & shop offers double points for their gas reward points on gift cards only when advertised in their circular - gift card purchases earn zero points otherwise. some gift cards are always excluded including stop & shop, telecom, and reloadable cards. points can be redeemed for up to $2.20 off a gallon (2200 points) at participating shell gas stations. maximum 35 gallons / fuel up. points expire 30 days after they're earned.

the ad reads:
"Be ready to go back to school! Earn 2x gas points on participating gift card purchases with your stop & shop card. Excludes stop & shop gift cards. Excludes telecom and reloadable cards. Purchase must be made in one transaction with your stop & shop card. See store for more details. Offer valid 8/16-8/29/13. Subject to availability. See gift cards for details."

more details about the gas rewards program here:
http://www.stopandshop.com/savings/shell_program.htm

hopefully some of you in the CT/MA/NJ/NY/RI area are able to rack up some gas points

Last edited by brownie20; Feb 9, 2014 at 8:39 am
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:08 pm

Here's the ad for subsidiary Giant...
http://giantfood.shoplocal.com/giant...4&pagenumber=7
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Wait. You mean Giant gives gas points for gift card purchases?

I experimented with this a few months ago with an Amazon card and got no points. Aaah!

Safeway has 4x going now, so that's a little easier, but they max out the bennie at $1 per gallon, max 25 gallons. Giant's program is better....
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
Here's the ad for subsidiary Giant...
http://giantfood.shoplocal.com/giant...4&pagenumber=7
the giant ad looks exactly like the stop & shop ad!! when did giant change their big blue G symbol to the stop & shop symbol!?!

Originally Posted by kcblakely
Wait. You mean Giant gives gas points for gift card purchases?

I experimented with this a few months ago with an Amazon card and got no points. Aaah!

Safeway has 4x going now, so that's a little easier, but they max out the bennie at $1 per gallon, max 25 gallons. Giant's program is better....
if giant runs their promos like stop & shop you only get points when they advertise the 2x points in their circulars (otherwise no points!). i've never had a problem getting points with visa/shell gift cards whenever it's advertised - but i always make sure the g/c's i buy aren't excluded in the fine print!
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:33 pm

Since you posted this, I might as well just go out and say it.

Stop & Shop allows you to buy variable load debit visa's with a credit card.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:18 am

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by JohnnyGraz
News to me. Thank you, kind sir.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
According to SD forum, you only earn 1x on GC purchases in NJ. Be aware that if you buy over $2000 in GC in a day, they will want to record all of your personal information in a log book at the service desk. I am not sure where that info goes, so I have been buying only $1500 per trip.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by brownie20
the giant ad looks exactly like the stop & shop ad!! when did giant change their big blue G symbol to the stop & shop symbol!?!
Stop and Shop = Giant, depending on your location.

You will often see items labelled with the other brand in the stores,depending on warehouse shipments and availability.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:15 am

gas

is their gas only shell?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by augustus21
News to me. Thank you, kind sir.
You're very welcome! Happy MSing!
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:12 am

Also, my fellow northeasterners, Price Chopper also currently has 4X fuel points on GC purchases. In my area they only carry up to $100 Visa GCs, but they carry $500 Lowes and Home Depot GCs (among many others). Could be handy if you have some home improvements coming up.

Not worth a seperate thread...but it's something.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyGraz
Since you posted this, I might as well just go out and say it.

What fees are charged? They don't seem to be advertised in store.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:40 pm

People, this is not difficult. S&S sells variable load visas for the same $5.95 fee, on the same gift card rack, in the exact same way as Kroger, Safeway, and pretty much every other store that sells GCs. I'm guessing most of you go into a grocery once in awhile, and have probably walked by the huge gift card rack a thousand times. I don't get why people seem unable to spend 5 seconds during day-to-day activities doing the most trivial reconnaissance...
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:42 pm

What's the card look like? Circles and arrows preferred.
kthanks!
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WhateverDude
What's the card look like? Circles and arrows preferred.
kthanks!
Or a picture of your wife holding one in front of the store

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.