detained for trying to "bribe" a TSA agent.

Subscribe
Flying out of LAX last week. I was tired and having a bad day as it was the third airport and hence 3rd TSA encounter.

I had bought a drink shortly before going though security and put the change in my back pocket (about 4 bucks of coins).

Coat off, shirt off, belt off yet again, though the metal detector.... Beep, beep.

The TSA agent wands my down. The only thing that's picked up is the coins, which I take out, and put on the counter.

Despite that there is now nothing on picked up the wand he insists I walk back through the metal detector.

I then go to get my stuff from the x-ray machine and the TSA says don't forget your coins.

So I say to him " keep it, consider it a tip" in a moderately sarcastic tone.

By the time I get my belt and shoes on there is two other TSA officers and some kind of security officer and they threaten to detain me and call to police for trying to "bribe a public officer".

After about 5 minutes having my ID and boarding pass examined, of apologizing and being polite they let me on my way.

Yes I know it was my fault, and will hold my tongue in the future.
Which terminal was this at?

Supposedly TSA got rid of the wands when the NoSs were installed...
Hmmm I wonder how this would play out... Walk up to the security checkpoint - wink at the TSA individual - smile and whisper with subtle coyness filled with promise, "I'll let you fondle me if you let me through..."
KAKAPO24 made a mistake, apologized for it and moved on.

If the Officer had kept the change there would be a hue and cry on FT and elsewhere about Officers taking bribes. The TSA folks handled this one the best way possible.
Quote: KAKAPO24 made a mistake, apologized for it and moved on.

If the Officer had kept the change there would be a hue and cry on FT and elsewhere about Officers taking bribes. The TSA folks handled this one the best way possible.
Actually, the TSO should have simply ignored the comment, let the pax go on their way and placed the coins wherever all the other left behind coins get placed by TSO's. Yes, the pax (as they noted) should have held their tongue but so should have the TSO
Quote: Actually, the TSO should have simply ignored the comment, let the pax go on their way and placed the coins wherever all the other left behind coins get placed by TSO's. Yes, the pax (as they noted) should have held their tongue but so should have the TSO
So later the OP can cause problems / media circus by saying a TSO accepted a "tip"? Not saying our OP would have done such a thing, just making a point.
Quote: So later the OP can cause problems / media circus by saying a TSO accepted a "tip"? Not saying our OP would have done such a thing, just making a point.
I was being sarcastic because I was tired. Of course I wasn't then going to kick up a stink saying it was a bribe.

It was terminal 8.
Quote: Flying out of LAX last week. I was tired and having a bad day as it was the third airport and hence 3rd TSA encounter.

I had bought a drink shortly before going though security and put the change in my back pocket (about 4 bucks of coins).

Coat off, shirt off, belt off yet again, though the metal detector.... Beep, beep.

The TSA agent wands my down. The only thing that's picked up is the coins, which I take out, and put on the counter.

Despite that there is now nothing on picked up the wand he insists I walk back through the metal detector.

I then go to get my stuff from the x-ray machine and the TSA says don't forget your coins.

So I say to him " keep it, consider it a tip" in a moderately sarcastic tone.

By the time I get my belt and shoes on there is two other TSA officers and some kind of security officer and they threaten to detain me and call to police for trying to "bribe a public officer".

After about 5 minutes having my ID and boarding pass examined, of apologizing and being polite they let me on my way.

Yes I know it was my fault, and will hold my tongue in the future.
Next time, tell them, "Go ahead and call a cop. And call your supervisor while you're at it. Also the FSD and the GSC." Unbelievable. "Public officer"? Who are they kidding?
Quote: So later the OP can cause problems / media circus by saying a TSO accepted a "tip"? Not saying our OP would have done such a thing, just making a point.
Some of them do steal, and others do accept "tips".

The most likely persons to cause problems/media circus in relation to an airport in the US: the TSA.

I wish it were otherwise but the TSA has put itself in this situation and has gotten in on the action of favors for money.
On AA flights to and from Europe, they collect "loose change" for UNICEF.
Maybe airports should have canisters in which to place loose change (found by TSA)--I would guess lots of loose change is left in the trays (and smaller containers).
Quote: On AA flights to and from Europe, they collect "loose change" for UNICEF.
Maybe airports should have canisters in which to place loose change (found by TSA)--I would guess lots of loose change is left in the trays (and smaller containers).
They wont last long. I give them a few hours before the contents end up in a TSA persons pockets.
Quote: (about 4 bucks of coins).

"bribe a public officer".
That's a pretty small bribe. Isn't there some minimum for bribes, like 50 bucks or something?

I just think you insulted them by being such a cheapskate.

And of course, by definition it's a tip (or in your case, a display of irritation with the process). A bribe happens before the event, and a tip happens after the event. If you go to a fine restaurant and want to find a table on a Friday night, you pay the maitre d' BEFORE you get the table (a bribe). You pay the waitress AFTER you have eaten (a tip).

Leave it to the TSA to screw that up, too.
Quote: That's a pretty small bribe. Isn't there some minimum for bribes, like 50 bucks or something?
Not always. In a former job, I used to have employees in several states as clients, and we were always counseled by our lawyers that, for a couple of states, there was _no_ de minimis exemption for gifts - bringing Starbucks to a meeting with my client would have constituted a bribe under the law.
Quote: That's a pretty small bribe.
To go along with some pretty small minds.
Quote:
Except for the part where they detained him and claimed he was trying to bribe the clerks.