Help - using AMEX points on airlines other than United

Subscribe
I need to get two business class flights from IAD to Rome - for my mother and father. I can pay about $6k - but thought about using AMEX points - balance about 600k. I have always used UA - but as we know they don't accept AMEX anymore. Can someone help with advice on the best way to use these points on another airline? I can transfer - no problem - but I have no idea the best way to search availability with all the other airlines.
Thanks for the help.
http://thepointsguy.com/2013/03/trav...ve-considered/

As a start..
You can see the airlines you can transfer MR points to here.

The blog referred to above can help in terms of "bang for buck" and the most beneficial use of those points.
You do not need to be able to transfer Membership Rewards points to UA in order to fly on UA. You can transfer to Air Cananda Aeroplan, ANA or Singapore Airlines and redeem for travel on any Star Alliance carrier including UA.

DO NOT TRANSFER until you have researched the mileage required though each program, their fees including fuel surcharges, and confirmed availability of the specific flights on your dates. Aeroplan is probably simplest to use because there are no fuel surcharges on flights operated by UA, and the points transfer instantly.
Air France can get you there via Paris. Delta miles can get you on Air France if you are lucky and persistent. Membership Rewards points transfer to Delta. Ask first to see if you can get the flights you want before transferring the points.
BA Avios can get you on BA or AA just be prepared to spend some $ on fuel charges. You can get a OW J award for 50k so it would be 200k MR points. It's a shame you didn't look earlier as Amex was running a bonus on transfers earlier this year. Last year they did a 50% bonus so J award was 34k MR points.