Citi AA credit cards, except Executive. (2013-2014)

Subscribe
Question
Applied for and received the Citi AA Visa Personal using 50K link from here--thanks all!

Reading the wiki and the comments here, it sounds like business cards are actually getting harder to get. I just started a young professionals group last year that has now franchised and moved to a new city, so I would like to jump on the Citi Business card but have never applied for a business card before.

In Oct., I received Chase SW.

Last night did first AOR (!) and approved for Amex Starwood, Citi AA Personal and CSP. Club Carlson pending.

Credit score as of last night was around 770. These are only cards, no inquiries before Chase SW card in October.

I know there is a waiting period of about 8 days or more before Citi will even look at another app.

Any advice about how long I should wait to apply for the business? Better to wait longer (ie: 65-90+ days) or do a quick turnaround and apply in 10ish days? Don't want to push my luck too much, but really hoping to get the pair of AA cards sooner rather than later!

Thanks again
Quote: You're not even close. I heard from a very reliable source that the conversion rate will the square root of your AA miles total....
Would that "AA miles total" be based on your lifetime miles, or simply miles currently in your AA account?
Quote: I say no difference
DO NOT CANCEL
either ask for the annual fee to be waived or if you dont want so many "old" AA cards open then ask them to convert your card to a No fee thank you or HH card. As others have stated the CL of any closed accounts goes into limbo and is unusable for new apps for at least 3-6 month

Honestly , if I were you I would get Barclays US Airways card while they are still around . I hear that on or around January 7th you can start to transfer US air miles to AA as a result of their merger. Then in another year you could cycle back to citi .
I was told I need to close my older Biz cards before trying to open a new one - so are you saying to not close the personal old cards but still close the biz cards? Sorry to be so confused. I have a few personal and 2 biz.
Quote: I was told I need to close my older Biz cards before trying to open a new one - so are you saying to not close the personal old cards but still close the biz cards? Sorry to be so confused. I have a few personal and 2 biz.

Yes
Try to avoid closing personal cards
If you are worried, then then close biz cards . Multiple citi biz card approvals are so rare these days that I would not suggest to worry to much about what to or what not to cancel. Closing personal credit cards, especially with large credit limits will have a direct negative effect on your credit, whereas closing biz credit lines has no effect

Long story short close biz accounts if wanting to cancel something
Quote: Yes
Try to avoid closing personal cards
If you are worried, then then close biz cards . Multiple citi biz card approvals are so rare these days that I would not suggest to worry to much about what to or what not to cancel. Closing personal credit cards, especially with large credit limits will have a direct negative effect on your credit, whereas closing biz credit lines has no effect

Long story short close biz accounts if wanting to cancel something
I would disagree. As a grad student, my stipend is not very high while my total credit limit is 2-3x my annual income. Closing a personal card would NOT negatively affect my credit because I keep my credit utilization at 1% while at the same time increasing my chances of getting an instant approval on the next app.
Data point
Applied for Citi Plat Select AA World MC using targeted link travel5.citicards.com that I got in a mailing from AA.

Same terms though as in the links on the Wiki page - 50K miles after 3K spend in 3 months, 10% redeemed miles back, chip technology, etc.

Instant approval with $16.5K CL. Credit score 800+.

Had the same card previously which I cancelled in July 2012. No other Citi apps since then but 5 credit pulls in the last 6 months.

Thanks for all the info here.
Quote: Any idea what the conversion rate of US air miles to AA miles will be?
Sarcasm off (or at least reduced?) but homework assignment on:

Go to the approviate (pre-merger) forums and figure out what the convertion rate of NW miles was to DL miles and what the conversion rate of CO miles was to UA miles. Also investigate the conversion rate between Southwest and AirTran (in both directions), in their current forums. @:-)

(By investigate, I mean search and read, not ask all over the place.)
Quote: I would disagree. As a grad student, my stipend is not very high while my total credit limit is 2-3x my annual income. Closing a personal card would NOT negatively affect my credit because I keep my credit utilization at 1% while at the same time increasing my chances of getting an instant approval on the next app.
I sure hope your grad degree is not in accounting. Here is why closing a personal card WOULD negatively affect your credit, and greatly reduce your chances of being approved at the Recon call:

There is only a certain amount of credit Citibank is willing to give you, and since your current credit limit is well in excess of your current income, there is a very good chance you are at that limit right now. When you cancel a Citi personal card, Citi does not put that credit in a bank account waiting for your next application. Instead, they put it in a safe deposit box with a time release lock that will not let it be used again for @ 3 to 6 months.

During that time, as far as Citi is concerned, you still have that credit with them, even though you can no longer access it, and so they will not issue any more. That is why you should move as much of a credit line from an old card to a new one as the bank will allow before cancelling the old card. Otherwise it goes down the rabbit hole, not to be seen again for quite some time.
Hi,
1- When was the last time an offer higher than 50k was spotted (even if targeted)?
2- What do you recommend doing to be targeted? (ie: allow to receive promotional offers from both aa and citi...)
Quote: I sure hope your grad degree is not in accounting. Here is why closing a personal card WOULD negatively affect your credit, and greatly reduce your chances of being approved at the Recon call:

There is only a certain amount of credit Citibank is willing to give you, and since your current credit limit is well in excess of your current income, there is a very good chance you are at that limit right now. When you cancel a Citi personal card, Citi does not put that credit in a bank account waiting for your next application. Instead, they put it in a safe deposit box with a time release lock that will not let it be used again for @ 3 to 6 months.

During that time, as far as Citi is concerned, you still have that credit with them, even though you can no longer access it, and so they will not issue any more. That is why you should move as much of a credit line from an old card to a new one as the bank will allow before cancelling the old card. Otherwise it goes down the rabbit hole, not to be seen again for quite some time.
Point taken. However, since you can churn Citi AA personal cards only every 18-24 months, I don't see why I would need that credit limit within the next 3-6 months if I cancel that card before my 12th month.
Quote: Hi,
1- When was the last time an offer higher than 50k was spotted (even if targeted)?
2- What do you recommend doing to be targeted? (ie: allow to receive promotional offers from both aa and citi...)
My husband got a targeted offer for 60k miles in August. I believe he only had to spend $2000 in the first 3 months.
Quote: Point taken. However, since you can churn Citi AA personal cards only every 18-24 months, I don't see why I would need that credit limit within the next 3-6 months if I cancel that card before my 12th month.
OK, I didn't realize you only wanted AA cards from Citi. I personally also want as many Citi Hilton HHonors 50K cards as I can get. And if you check the FT thread on that card, it seems you can get as many as 5 a year, which comes out to 250K points.

Not as valuable as before the devaluation, but there is no AF, and the minimum spend is only $1K per card. 250K points will get you 10 nights at very nice mid range Hilton locations in Europe.

So Yes, I will happily take the nearly free HH points, thank you very much Citi. But if you only want AA cards, as long as they stay limited to a 18 to 24 months app cycle, just cancel away.
Quote: Any idea what the conversion rate of US air miles to AA miles will be?
Quote: OK, (sarcasm turned on) you really had to ask THAT questions...... Since US miles are so devalued (this according to many on FT) the conversion rate will be 10-1....
Quote: You're not even close. I heard from a very reliable source that the conversion rate will the square root of your AA miles total divided by the total of your US miles on the merger date minus the number of AA miles you have redeemed since Jan. 1, 2010, plus the number of BIS US miles you've flown since August 18, 1999 times the square root of your AA frequent flyer number.
I've also heard there will be a bonus for transfers made on Tuesdays, but I don't yet know the bonus formula (I think it depends on your birthday).
Quote: Sarcasm off (or at least reduced?) but homework assignment on:

Go to the approviate (pre-merger) forums and figure out what the convertion rate of NW miles was to DL miles and what the conversion rate of CO miles was to UA miles. Also investigate the conversion rate between Southwest and AirTran (in both directions), in their current forums. @:-)

(By investigate, I mean search and read, not ask all over the place.)
Let's go easy on the newbie, shall we?
Quote: Let's go easy on the newbie, shall we?
Thank you!
Quote: Let's go easy on the newbie, shall we?
I'll take it under consideration.