MilesBuzz: Canada

Subscribe
Quote: It is tough to spend 9K in 3 month as have to fulfill 3k for AMEX gold biz, even more difficult as I plan to apply extra RBC BA CC for my wife.

At the end of the day, fact in $165 fee 3% paypal cost to manufacture these 54k (45k+9k) avios points, return is not great: (165+270)/54k=0.8 cpm, cheaper then buy avios, but worse then AMEX plat.
Yeah, I did the paypal thing to make a minimum spend once for SPG Amex, and it was only a slightly better deal that it would've been to purchase the miles. But...I got a big bonus, which was nice.

Some people have suggested buying gift cards for future purchases to make a minimum spend.

It's hard to plan these things, but I figure that It's safer to apply for the cards with the big minimum spends around Xmas time, as that is when I spend the most money. It worked last year with the BA Visa, so I think it should work again this year...
One of my biggest AMEX purchases is for my home and auto insurance. If I can plan to apply for a big-spend card right around my renewal date, then I can pay a big chunk off with that one item. Or, if not, I'll switch my insurance payments back to pre-authorized monthly debits from my bank account, and then if a promo comes along requiring a big spend, I'll call into the insurance company to ask for the remaining balance on my annual insurance premiums to be paid off in one big lump sum.

Otherwise, yeah, XMAS time is a good time to plan around for these cards.
CapitalOne World Mastercard IHG Priority Club
Hi folks, thought this was the best forum to post in. I am a Canadian who has a CapitalOne World Mastercard IHG Priority Club. Need to know if I stay at IHG properties around the world; and I use the card - do I qualify for the various points (5X at IHG properties) bonuses that I would if I stayed at an IHG property in Canada.

Any insight would be helpful thanks.
Quote: Hi folks, thought this was the best forum to post in. I am a Canadian who has a CapitalOne World Mastercard IHG Priority Club. Need to know if I stay at IHG properties around the world; and I use the card - do I qualify for the various points (5X at IHG properties) bonuses that I would if I stayed at an IHG property in Canada.

Any insight would be helpful thanks.
Welcome to Flyertalk!
Yes, you should be earning 5x on all IHG spend AFAIK.
Quote: Yeah, I did the paypal thing to make a minimum spend once for SPG Amex, and it was only a slightly better deal that it would've been to purchase the miles. But...I got a big bonus, which was nice.

Some people have suggested buying gift cards for future purchases to make a minimum spend.

It's hard to plan these things, but I figure that It's safer to apply for the cards with the big minimum spends around Xmas time, as that is when I spend the most money. It worked last year with the BA Visa, so I think it should work again this year...
What's the paypal thing? You sell something to yourself?
MBNA Alaska Airlines MasterCard
I don't believe this card has been officially introduced in this thread yet.

Link to MBNA: MBNA Alaska Airlines MasterCard
(Added: ) Link to Great Canadian Rebates ($60 rebate): http://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/d...aska-Airlines/

• 25,000 Bonus Miles upon approval‡‡
• An annual coach Companion Fare every year from $118 (USD) ($99 base fare, plus taxes and fees from $19)
• 1 mile per $1 spent on every eligible purchase‡
• 3 miles per $1 spent on Alaska Airlines tickets, cargo purchases, in-flight purchases and vacation packages‡
Redeem miles for flights to over 700 destinations worldwide
• $75 annual fee; net $15 cost through Great Canadian Rebates

Can be used throughout North America. Great connections out of Vancouver and southern California.
Choice Privileges has now lowered the number of points needed for booking a room in many European cities to 8,000 points.

Choice Privileges current promotion is stay 2 separate nights and receive 8,000 points.Check their website for specifics on how the program works and exceptions.

We booked 9 nights next month in Italy and France using points and saved over $1,700. Total points used = 72,000

A husband & wife can order a Choice credit card with no annual fee and receive 32,000 points each. Check out their website for details.
Quote: I don't believe this card has been officially introduced in this thread yet.

MBNA Alaska Airlines MasterCard

• 25,000 Bonus Miles upon approval‡‡
• An annual coach Companion Fare every year from $118 (USD) ($99 base fare, plus taxes and fees from $19)
• 1 mile per $1 spent on every eligible purchase‡
• 3 miles per $1 spent on Alaska Airlines tickets, cargo purchases, in-flight purchases and vacation packages‡
Redeem miles for flights to over 700 destinations worldwide
• $75 annual fee

A particularly good offer for those in Vancouver or another Alaska Airlines city.
And always check GCR before applying directly. I picked this card up at te end of August with a $75 rebate!
SPG: up to 9,000 Aeroplan (stackable)
Earn up to 9,000 Aeroplan bonus miles with SPG properties, through December 15, 2013.
Stackable: you're eligible to receive SPG and Aeroplan points.

Stay five qualifying nights at Starwood hotels and resorts around the world from September 1 – December 15, 2013 and earn 5,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles. Stay a seventh night and enjoy 2,000 more Bonus Aeroplan Miles. Stay a ninth night and earn 2,000 more, up to a maximum of 9,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles during the promotion. Nights can accrue across multiple stays.

Register for the promotion here.
Quote: What's the paypal thing? You sell something to yourself?
Two paypal accounts and use account 1 to send money to account 2. Appears as a purchase. You have go pay fees, though.
Quote: And always check GCR before applying directly. I picked this card up at te end of August with a $75 rebate!
Yeah, I've made almost $200 in rebates in the past few months from apps alone!
Quote: Two paypal accounts and use account 1 to send money to account 2. Appears as a purchase. You have go pay fees, though.
Thanks for the information... I'll go take a look at those fees.
BMO World Elite MC started waiving the fee for the first year (not sure how long this promo is on for). I applied in August for the 20K promo and called today to get the annual fee reversed/waived based on the new offer.

http://www.bmo.com/home/personal/ban...ite-mastercard
Bank of Montreal World Elite MasterCard: $300, first year free
Well, this is impressive.

Bank of Montreal World Elite MasterCard's $300 offer is now First Year Free.

The BMO Rewards® World EliteTM MasterCard

Get bonus points worth $300 in travel credit, and 2% on spend.
Annual fee: $150 Now FIRST YEAR FREE.

(History: The bonus amount had been $285 worth of credit, and then they bumped it up to $380 worth, and then they changed the point value, so the startup bonus was actually $400 if you clicked on the link for a period of about 2 weeks. After August 31, it remained at $300, which was still pretty good. But all that was with a $150 annual fee. Earnings on spend had been 1.9%; now it's 2.0%.)

(Credit to jerryhung and to 92redragtop for their posts.)
There must be something special about Canadians because nearly half the posters here have referral links in their signature..
5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  21  61  111