TSA PreCheck Expands Expedited Screening Benefits for International Travel

Subscribe
Quote: Sorry, but I don't know how to reproduce the text found in the OP, but what benefit in the arrival process is this for me coming into ATL from NRT three times this year since I have GE? Are they really going to have a separate lane that is like those when leaving ATL?

The text in question is:
"In addition, passengers with connecting domestic flights who arrive in the United States on an international flight may use the TSA Pre✓™ lanes when going through the screening process at participating airports after being cleared by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)."
Might not help in ATL due to how it is set up. But if you arrive in ORD at T5 and need to connect to a flight in T1/2/3, it would help. Would also help in quite a few other airports. I think of JFK and LAX in particular where all terminals are not connected airside.
Quote: I think they don't want such passengers in their airspace. For example, on a couple of flights from ADD to IAD we had to stop in Rome soley for the purpose of rescreening the passengers. That was the conditon of allowing a "direct" flight from ADD to the U.S. (and if you saw the clown school that passed for security at ADD, you'd understand why).

So I think the agreement of the destination country is necessary.
PreCheck or not, Australia, Canada and the countries in Europe are fine with being the destination country of flights from the US.

It's re-screening and data sharing practices that may be exposed.

Keep in mind that even before this latest adjustment to PreCheck, re-screening at EU airports for US-originating flights is the most common way of handling US-originating passengers transiting an EU airport. And also keep in mind that even before this latest adjustment to PreCheck, re-screening at EU airports for US-originating flights has not always (even recently) been required for handling US-originating passengers transiting some EU airports.
I can confirm this is working now. Flew USA to Canada on UA today and got the TSA PreCheck mark on my BP.
Quote: I can confirm this is working now. Flew USA to Canada on UA today and got the TSA PreCheck mark on my BP.
Did you get the PreCheck LLL type screening for that flight?
Quote: Did you get the PreCheck LLL type screening for that flight?
Yup... went through the PreCheck lane with no issues. This was at IAD.
I wonder -- Canadian citizens or residents? The press release speaks of citizens and http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-pre%E2%9C%93%...%E2%84%A2-faqs is contradictory because it both speaks of "Current members of U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s (CBP) Global Entry, SENTRI or NEXUS programs are already eligible to participate in TSA Pre✓™" and then "and Canadian citizens who are members of NEXUS, are eligible to participate in this program" -- you don't need to be a citizen to be in NEXUS -- I am the living, breathing proof Incidentally, if you travel a lot then you won't change from resident to citizen in Canada easily...
This is really a great extension of the benefit. I fly from Canada a lot these days, so unfortunately, there's no pre-check there. I wonder if they might implement pre-check like security in the Nexus lines, like the ones at Pearson.

Personally, the few times I've used pre-check I've loved it. Especially not having to fumble with my shoes is worth it alone.
Quote: I wonder -- Canadian citizens or residents? The press release speaks of citizens and http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-pre%E2%9C%93%...%E2%84%A2-faqs is contradictory because it both speaks of "Current members of U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s (CBP) Global Entry, SENTRI or NEXUS programs are already eligible to participate in TSA Pre✓™" and then "and Canadian citizens who are members of NEXUS, are eligible to participate in this program" -- you don't need to be a citizen to be in NEXUS -- I am the living, breathing proof Incidentally, if you travel a lot then you won't change from resident to citizen in Canada easily...
They mean Canadian citizens only.
Quote: They mean Canadian citizens only.
Source?
Quote: Yup... went through the PreCheck lane with no issues. This was at IAD.
Have they added a PreCheck lane to IAD's midfield Customs and Immigration? If so, hallelujha! Even an elite lane would help.
Quote: Have they added a PreCheck lane to IAD's midfield Customs and Immigration? If so, hallelujha! Even an elite lane would help.
They have not added a PreCheck lane at the midfield FIS. D582 was departing from IAD and flying to Canada, so he used the Main Terminal PreCheck checkpoint.
Quote: Might not help in ATL due to how it is set up. But if you arrive in ORD at T5 and need to connect to a flight in T1/2/3, it would help. Would also help in quite a few other airports. I think of JFK and LAX in particular where all terminals are not connected airside.
In theory, it could help in ATL. TSA could put a Pre-Check lane at the re-screening facility in Concourse E, where arriving int'l pax recheck their bags and pass over to airside again. It could also help at the main outbound checkpoint in the MHJIT, Concourse F.

I'm departing on Korean Air a week from today. If no one else reports between now and then, I'll post about the experience departing from the international terminal.
Great news. Look forward to trying it.
Wonder if MIA will add a PreCheck line to the rescreening station in light of this. As it stands they only do WTMD right now.
Great news
I have to agree with the folks who think this is a time saver. Using Global Entry is a huge time saver, but to add this at the recheck process only makes it all the better.

I also have to say that things are definitely quicker in dealing with DHS, TSA, and the assorted other departments in the lands of checking on things. I was able to get my second US passport within 2 days, get them both entered into Global Entry without issue, apply for and receive a TWIC card all within a 2 week period. I was seriously expecting all of this to take forever, now to have the added benefit of Pre-check for international flights makes it all seem worthwhile.