AmEX [USA] Transfer Bonus is back! 35% to British Airways through 6.7.2013

Subscribe
Quote: tried twice..no luck
3rd times the charm?
Quote: Keep us posted. I transferred 130k last week.
I was able to get 8,500 retroactive bonus points for transfering 33,000 MR points the week before. My advice is to send a secure message ASAP. Read my blog post today for all the details. Hope it helps!
Quote: Just xfer'd 50k in MR to BA ... now unsure about the other 50k due to a possible 50% promo coming back, otherwise will do another transaction and xfer the remaining 50k to BA before June 7th and not risk taking a chance in case this promo doesn't come back for the year.

Not so happy about booking a ticket with a connection into separate individual segments and having separate record locators, but heck 35% is 35%!

decisions, decisions ....
I'm worried about the separate tickets for the connecting flights as well... I made it about a 6 hour layover to minimize the chances of a missed connection.

CLE-BOS -> BOS-DUB on Air Lingus r/t
with the 50% bonus I took advantage of last year, this trip cost me
17KMR + $250 e-cert (cle-bos) + $120 (award ticket tax)... not bad for a summer trip to Europe!

I'm Also doing CLE-JFK + JFK-DUS (Air Berlin) this summer. Used 24,500 Avios for the out-bound, and booked a reward J return on UA. Another sweet deal, but you have to book the two segments on separate tickets as well. (one on AA, and the other on Air Berlin)

As far as I know, Air Lingus and Air Berlin are the only carriers that don't charge a fuel surcharge on transatlantic flights. Air Lingus can only be booked over the phone... be sure to ask to have the $25 phone-booking fee waived as it can't be booked online.
Quote: I was able to get 8,500 retroactive bonus points for transfering 33,000 MR points the week before. My advice is to send a secure message ASAP. Read my blog post today for all the details. Hope it helps!
No luck for me.

Secure message guy basically said no
Quote: As far as I know, Air Lingus and Air Berlin are the only carriers that don't charge a fuel surcharge on transatlantic flights. Air Lingus can only be booked over the phone... be sure to ask to have the $25 phone-booking fee waived as it can't be booked online.
You can also transfer to Iberia and book without YQ. You have to have an Iberia account for >3 months though before you have the option of transferring.
Quote: You can also transfer to Iberia and book without YQ. You have to have an Iberia account for >3 months though before you have the option of transferring.
does the transfer go MR -> Iberia, or is it MR-> BA -> Iberia?

I thought I have seen mentioned free direct transfer from BA->Iberia
Quote: This is great advice. Do you have any tips on shopping WT+ fares? I've noticed that premium economy doesn't always show up correctly on ITA Matrix. I'm actually looking at booking with cash and upgrading with Avios and noticed it's a decent redemption option.

I wasn't aware of a discount using the BA card, either. That's a great tip, especially because I'm right now looking to book a trip commencing on 12/31/2013 - the date the current promotion ends:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...0/public/en_us

Any idea if the 10% discount applies when buying a ticket and upgrading with avios (meaning 10% off the base paid fare)?

I may need to get this card. It's a shame the 100k bonus isn't out there still. Thanks for the advice!
This thread on the BA board is helpful: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...dont-know.html, but be aware it's a catchall thread so sales are posted there from the UK or from Europe as well as news about current sales from the US. BA also sends emails announcing these sales to BAEC members.

There is a current WT+ sale, good for tickets purchased by 5/8 for travel from June into December, but it's not a deep sale. OK if you have to do some summer travel and BA is in your plans; as I noted in a post in that thread, I wouldn't book a trip for the fall on this sale as there's likely to be another sale sometime after the end of the summer and that fall sale, coming as the tourist season has dried up, generally offers steeper discounts. I went to Dublin in WT+ in December for $1080 on a sale; my booking for a trip to Dublin in June, made today during this sale, cost me $1500.

The WT+ ticket price, however, is still only $350 more than my sister is paying for WT on the same trip. Worth it to see if I can grab a CW seat on the way to Europe for 10K Avios and about $130. I tend to stay in WT+ on the day flight back--it's a comfortable enough seat for me so long as I don't need to sleep.

The 10% off with the BA card has saved me more than the cost of the annual fee on every flight I've booked with BA, including this trip to Dublin where I saved almost $170 on my ticket.

I understand the arguments against BA, but for whatever reasons, travels on BA and collecting Avios have hit sweet spots for my travels.
Quote: does the transfer go MR -> Iberia, or is it MR-> BA -> Iberia?

I thought I have seen mentioned free direct transfer from BA->Iberia
First MR -> BA. Then BA -> Iberia. Points Guy wrote a blog post about this.

I recently looked up NYC -> MAD flights using Iberia's search engine and business availability was excellent.
thanks! I'll sign-up with Iberia tonight and maybe Spain will be on the vacation calendar for next summer!
What will be interesting is that when AA and US merge, would the BOS-LGA-DCA shuttle be excluded from the Avios short haul mileage scheme.
I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a list of previous US based Amex transfer bonus by airline?
Quote: I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a list of previous US based Amex transfer bonus by airline?
Google it. One of the travel blogs did it.
Just a datapoint:

Did a 50k transfer on Saturday (4/20) to Avios, Promotion started on 4/22 - got the bonus retroactive. Did a secure message to get it. They said they are manually giving me 14,000 points and then pushing that into my British Airways account to get the 18,900 points or so that I am missing.
Sorry for the newbie question, but do Amex Starwood card holders get this 35% transfer bonus when using Starwood points?
Quote: Sorry for the newbie question, but do Amex Starwood card holders get this 35% transfer bonus when using Starwood points?
No, only AMEX MR @ USA are eligible for this bonus.