Canadian Amex Plat $200 travel credit?

Subscribe
Something interesting to note - I've had issues booking before on some carriers. AMEX was unable to ticket on Icelandair, and said they don't have ticketing agreements with some smaller airlines.
Quote: Interesting, which airline, was it interlined?
Ticket on Finnair stock, itinerary included Westjet and Finnair flights.
For What I know, to use $200 travel credit (CAD), you actually have to book through AMEX travel agencies... so like "jerryhung" said, you will be starting from published fare and get the reimbursement from AMEX when you call. I had to ask and book through the amex travel agency to get the credit for my flight to Korea.

So for any deals outside of AMEX or published fare, that are between loyalty programs, we are out of luck...
Yeah I was told you have to call in AMEX's travel services to use the credit.

Edit: removed incorrect info.
Quote: Meaning that hotel stays like SPG will be third partied and it won't count towards a stay.
Are you sure about this? Even though you're using Amex as a TA, you're still booking directly with the hotel and not a 3rd party like Expedia or Hotwire. I've never had any issues whatsoever getting credited for stays booked at Hilton, SPG or Accor properties via Amex PTS.
Quote: Are you sure about this? Even though you're using Amex as a TA, you're still booking directly with the hotel and not a 3rd party like Expedia or Hotwire. I've never had any issues whatsoever getting credited for stays booked at Hilton, SPG or Accor properties via Amex PTS.
A rep told me that they're considered as "third-party". But if it works in your case then maybe she's misinformed? I'll give PTS another call.
Quote: A rep told me that they're considered as "third-party". But if it works in your case then maybe she's misinformed? I'll give PTS another call.
That's really interesting. The thing I like about dealing with PTS is their agents, for the most part, are well informed. I can't imagine someone would make up a claim like that, but my empirical evidence (based on a sample size of 1, of course) totally contradicts the claim. Let us know how it turns out!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...as-2013-a.html

Posters in this thread report receiving SPG recognition and credit, and all FHR booking are made through PTS.
Thanks mia for the info.

Just got off the phone with PTS, the agent that told me it wasn't counted was wrong. I haven't had the best experience with PTS lately. Usually cause of the grumpy attitudes. Dang it though, I just made a reservation at the W Seattle last night whereas I could have used the $200...
Quote: Thanks mia for the info.

Just got off the phone with PTS, the agent that told me it wasn't counted was wrong. I haven't had the best experience with PTS lately. Usually cause of the grumpy attitudes. Dang it though, I just made a reservation at the W Seattle last night whereas I could have used the $200...
Couldn't you cancel the W reservation and rebook through Amex? Or did you book a nonrefundable rate?
YMMV on this but I booked Mandalay Bay for 4 nights in Dec-Jan directly with MGM reservations. Was able to get CAA/AAA Rate. Called PTS and they took over the reservation directly from Mandalay and apply the $200 credit to the deposit that they charged.

PTS was unable to get me the rate that Mandalay gave me over the phone.

Again YMMV.
Are you able to book something on the American website, American Express Travel, for the travel credit?

Also note that flights are completely nonrefundable from the time of booking when you call over the phone.. so much for 24 hour cancellations.. don't make the same mistake I did. Canada's AMEX Platinum travel agency is a goddamn joke.
Uh... I made bookings and have them hold the reservation for days/week, without payment. Of course during that time fare subject to change (due to taxes), booking subject to cancellation by the airlines.

after having the same booking cancelled by the airlines a few times they started to pressure me into paying up, but I don't blame them.
Quote: A rep told me that they're considered as "third-party". But if it works in your case then maybe she's misinformed? I'll give PTS another call.
I used AMEX PTS to book Holiday Inn Express in May 2013, used the $200 credit, and earned a stay credit with IHG no problem

Quote: Are you able to book something on the American website, American Express Travel, for the travel credit?

Also note that flights are completely nonrefundable from the time of booking when you call over the phone.. so much for 24 hour cancellations.. don't make the same mistake I did. Canada's AMEX Platinum travel agency is a goddamn joke.

I know Air Canada has the unofficial 24-hour free change/cancellation, but I don't blame AMEX for being a "3rd party to the airlines"
I don't believe CANADA has 24-hour cancellation in general. Expedia or AMEX for sure do NOT.

I think it's part of USA's DoT rule
When you book online with US carriers (UA/DL...) you'll see those 24-hour cancellation. I think even AA has no free 24-hour cancellation, but free 24-hour HOLD
Most airlines if you book directly on their websites, you get up to 24h free cancellation. So after you got the 200 credit you should not use Amex travel.