Spring 2013 promo: 2 stays = 1 free night (8000 points)

Subscribe
How many Choice Privileges points will I be awarded after each qualifying stay?
After your second qualifying stay and all stays thereafter with arrival between February 28, 2013 and May 15, 2013, you will be awarded a minimum of 5,000 points and a maximum of 8,000 points, depending on how many points were earned from your two (2) separate qualified stays. These bonus points will allow redemption for a free night at the 8,000 points reward night level at over 1,500 hotels. A free night at most Choice Privileges locations requires more than 8,000 points.

Am i reading this wrong. To me the above statement means you get the 8000 points after the 2nd stay, and 8000 pts after each stay thereafter?

I'm actually assuming you get 8000 pts after the 2nd stay, 4th stay, 6th etc.

Which is correct?
Quote: How many Choice Privileges points will I be awarded after each qualifying stay?
After your second qualifying stay and all stays thereafter with arrival between February 28, 2013 and May 15, 2013, you will be awarded a minimum of 5,000 points and a maximum of 8,000 points, depending on how many points were earned from your two (2) separate qualified stays. These bonus points will allow redemption for a free night at the 8,000 points reward night level at over 1,500 hotels. A free night at most Choice Privileges locations requires more than 8,000 points.

Am i reading this wrong. To me the above statement means you get the 8000 points after the 2nd stay, and 8000 pts after each stay thereafter?

I'm actually assuming you get 8000 pts after the 2nd stay, 4th stay, 6th etc.

Which is correct?
Second, fourth, sixth, and so on.
Does any one know what the criteria is for a 5,000 point bonus vs a 8,000 point bonus?

I seem to recall after the last time they had this promotion, I was just as confused - there seemed to be no logic as to which I received.
Quote: Does any one know what the criteria is for a 5,000 point bonus vs a 8,000 point bonus?

I seem to recall after the last time they had this promotion, I was just as confused - there seemed to be no logic as to which I received.
You earn regular point for your 2 stays (5 or 10 CP point per $ depending of the brand).
Then they give you enough point to reach 8000 (regular + bonus). If bonus is less than 5000 they top up to reach 5000.
The promotion seems to be ok if one needs to stay iin hotels. But if one's intention is to collect point, one better purchases a reasonable amount of points from the ChoiceHotels website. Me personally, I will change two one night stays from Marriott (ps: I don't like that chain anymore after the devaluation etc) and switch to Choice Hotels. There are some cheap dump hotels in Berlin and Frankfurt. If you are in transit for one night it can be considered.
Quote: The promotion seems to be ok if one needs to stay iin hotels. But if one's intention is to collect point, one better purchases a reasonable amount of points from the ChoiceHotels website. Me personally, I will change two one night stays from Marriott (ps: I don't like that chain anymore after the devaluation etc) and switch to Choice Hotels. There are some cheap dump hotels in Berlin and Frankfurt. If you are in transit for one night it can be considered.
I would say, it depends. 8k cost is 88$. If you live in a big US city you can find some local choice hotels below 50$ (and I am not even considering Econolodge or Rodeway Inn). So the cost is about the same.
BUT you can only buy 20k points per year (so if you need to spend more than 3 night in Europe, you won't have enough).
Also, MRunning allows to earn status night, you can be gold with 10 nights and Plat with 20, which is very helpful for booking reward night (and easy to reach as your reward nights count for status).
Damn those bloggers, they're going to ruin it for all of us AGAIN : http://thepointsguy.com/2013/02/choi...ght-promotion/. I mean he reveals all the ins and outs of the promotion (you'll get a minimum of 5K points, which I guess technically is true--when you get your 8K, there's 5K in there), and the best use of these points is for the aspirational 1 mile/5 point return you'll get with most airlines (with no mention of the 1800/6000 on Southwest--ouch, I forgot, not aspirational enough).
Converting to air miles is not the best use of CP points IMO...
Be aware that the cheap hotels require two nights to be considered a stay:

"Stays at Econo Lodge®, Rodeway Inn®, Suburban Extended Stay Hotel® or MainStay Suites® hotels must be a minimum of two consecutive nights"
Quote: Converting to air miles is not the best use of CP points IMO...
I think if you read the post, he completely misses some of the subtleties of the program. Check the comments where he may be about to learn about the Scandinavian properties. That would lead him to the rest of Europe. And, maybe, once that happens, the beans will get spilled.

We know that Discover America giveaways got tougher last year because of publicity by bloggers, but most of that publicity involved the conversion of points to airline program miles. Very little publicity has been given to the real sweet spot of the program, the 8K-10K redemptions. Of course, here in the FT community, there's been very little publicity about those outside of our own little backwater. So maybe this brush fire will burn itself out as well.
Does anyone know if the AAA rate will qualify you for the 8,000 points?

What does this mean? **The reservation must be made on ChoiceHotels.com using your Choice Privileges number and must be made at least 7, 14, 21 or 30 days in advance, which will vary based on the hotel for which a reservation is being made. The rate starts at 15% off Best Available Rate, is non-cancellable, non-changeable and non-refundable. Your credit card will be charged for the total reservation amount within 24-48 hours of booking.
I saw this at the bottom of the ad for the 8,000 points. ANYONE know? thanks
Quote: Does anyone know if the AAA rate will qualify you for the 8,000 points?

What does this mean? **The reservation must be made on ChoiceHotels.com using your Choice Privileges number and must be made at least 7, 14, 21 or 30 days in advance, which will vary based on the hotel for which a reservation is being made. The rate starts at 15% off Best Available Rate, is non-cancellable, non-changeable and non-refundable. Your credit card will be charged for the total reservation amount within 24-48 hours of booking.
I saw this at the bottom of the ad for the 8,000 points. ANYONE know? thanks
Yes AAA rate is fine. When you book on choicehotels.com before submitting your reservation it is written if the rate is eligible for points or not...

and the ** is about advance purchase rate and has nothing to do with the promo.
great thanks
Quote: Be aware that the cheap hotels require two nights to be considered a stay:

"Stays at Econo Lodge®, Rodeway Inn®, Suburban Extended Stay Hotel® or MainStay Suites® hotels must be a minimum of two consecutive nights"

Claor, but the Clarion hotel requires two times one night!
Do you guys go through a portal when booking through choice? Recently I've had issues with ebates and choice never reporting the sale. After submitting a ticket I was told AAA rates are not eligible for cash back... Started using BigCrumbs now and have still had to submit tickets but AAA does not appear to be an issue.