[Consolidated]: Luggage Tracking Solutions (was: Trakdot to help you track your...)

Subscribe
Quote: Now delayed until June, but pre-orders are available and forgive the activation fee. I think I will become a guinea pig.
I'd like it if they offered something like $1/month payment for infrequent travelers.
bump
http://www.trakdot.com/TrakDot/index.jsp

I forgot to search at first but then found this thread. Apparently they are shipping and have back orders.
I placed my order, hope to get it soon - one screen on their site says "shipped", the other still says "pending". They also do not respond to emails... Fingers crossed the product lives up to its promise.
I am surprised there isn't anyone reporting any experience with this device by now.

I ordered one to test in May, but shipping was delayed. It arrived August 10, 4 days after we departed for Brazil (unfortunately). I have had it on four times at home since we got back on August 21. It has picked up the signal and identified my city (SCE) with an accurate time stamp. I am taking a trip to MDT-EWR-SNA on Sunday (Sept 22) and I will provide a report within a few days.

As for the accuracy of cell tower triangulation, it is getting more and more accurate every day. Anytime you use your smart-phone indoors, it is getting your location based on this method. Probably good within a 100 feet or less in many places, though I expect this device will simply report a nearby city name and time-stamp. No chance it will report which terminal your luggage is.
Hmmm. A company that makes a tracking device that can't even give you an update on the shipment status/tracking of that device.

Your cell phone triangulation may be getting an assist from wifi. Even if you are not connected to a wifi network, if your wifi is on Google Maps (possibly others) will use it locate nearby networks. Google has mapped router locations, so if your phone can pick up the signal from Joe's Bar and Grill, they know you are within 100 feet or so of that address.

Right now my phone shows me somewhere in about a one mile radius of a point about a block away. Within seconds of turning on wifi (but not connecting to any network and GPS off), it has me pinpointed within a 25' radius pretty much centered on my desk (which is right beneath the closest access point).
Quote: Your cell phone triangulation may be getting an assist from wifi. Even if you are not connected to a wifi network, if your wifi is on Google Maps (possibly others) will use it locate nearby networks.
Point taken -- always good to keep in mind.

Now, let's hope this little gem can do its job and let me know -- before I get off the plane -- that my luggage landed with me !
I got mine (but never got a shipping email). So far I'm not impressed. I never received any notifications and couldn't track it online on my most recent trip.
I just found I might be the few user of this new products out there. I can tell you it works as promised but the location is not as accurate as you would expect on your smart phone. It will send you notification through SMS when you arrive the baggage claim belt and you can actually use Bluetooth to know whether your luggage is coming out or not. My only complaint so far is the time of receiving notification varies (sometimes I got the notification when I'm leaving the airpot) and it will not function if you are in a country that don't support GSM network, like South Korea or Japan for example.
TrakDot is a total waste
I was an early adopter when TrakDot first released in 2013. Paid for two units, and have regretted it 90% of the time since.

•.There was no mention of the fact you need to insert new batteries for every single trip...and rechargable batteries are strictly prohibited. Between the cost of batteries for frequent travelers and the environmental impact of tossing partially used batteries every time I travel, well...not cool.

•.Tracking is wildly inconsistent. About 10-15% of the time, the alerts came through. The other 85-90% of the time, nothing.

•.Location tracking is even more inconsistent. If I had a nickel for every time the luggage was with me, but the TrakDots claimed it was miles away.....

•.In October, TrakDot owners were sent an email and free FedEx shipping, explaining that major software problems necessitated an update that could only be done by the manufacturer. I sent both of my TrakDots in for the update in early November. As of today, January 27 (2.5 months later), I am still trying to get the units back. Each of my email inquiries has been met with apologies and promises they'll ship the units within 24 hours, overnight, but still, no TrakDots.

If I wanted to make a donation, I'd select a non-profit---not hand $150 to a for-profit company that makes big promises and lousy product.
I'm with the previous poster. I did not send mine in as the problem didn't sound like it would be a problem for me.

On flights, I'm now surprised when/if I get a message. It is that unreliable.
Really? Dang. I was looking forward to get this. My bags got lost in EZE and in GRU, so I would of loved to track them.
Un-frigging-believable
Well, I finally got two Trakdot units returned. Notice I didn't say "my Trakdots" because---well---they weren't mine. They appear to be open box returns from someone else...one of which is even missing its serial number.

Here's the email going to Trakdot today:

- - - - - - -

Rashida,

As you recall, Trakdot's email to users explained that the software needed to be updated, and that our devices would be returned to us. From the September email Trakdot sent:

"...we want to apply this upgraded software to your device."

"We anticipate that the shipment and processing time to update your device will take about 6 weeks."

That email is attached, below.

My devices carried the following serial numbers:

Cxxxxxx
Cxxxxxx

The second of the two had not yet been activated.

Finally, eleven weeks (and several follow up emails from me) later, Trakdot shipped two units. One of the units I received has this serial number:

Dxxxxxx

The second unit has NO serial number whatsoever.

These, obviously, are not my original Trakdot units.

In spite of the fact these aren't my originals, they're not new either. In fact, both boxes had already been opened by someone else--the seals at the top and bottom of each box stating "This Product can not be returned for a refund if this seal is broken" were, in fact, broken. All four.

The "Warranty void if damaged" sticker inside one of the units was partially torn---the same unit from which the serial number has been removed.

This is completely and absolutely unacceptable.

Since, obviously, my original units are nowhere to be found, I expect to receive brand new replacement units, under full warranty, that have not already been opened and returned by someone else.

Both new units must have serial numbers--something you already know, since Trakdots can't be activated without them.

Please respond to confirm:

(a) You will be paying for the call tag to pick up these previously opened/used units

(b) Two brand new, unopened units will be overnighted to me immediately, in lieu of my missing Trakdots

- - - - - - -

I doubt a positive outcome, which is why I'm also reaching out to the credit card these were purchased on; time to see what kind of consumer protection is available.

Something tells me I'm going to need it.

:::urgh:::
I think I just realized what's up with the inaccurate reporting:

From the start I had serious doubts about GPS operation in the airport--it would pretty much always have to be falling back to WiFi. WiFi doesn't provide actual location data, that's handled by a database of what routers were observed at what locations. Such databases have problems with WiFi sources that move around--a common example being cruise ships.

However, there's the issue of ad-hoc networking by Windows. How many "WiFi networks" are really just traveler's laptops--laptops that might very well be in another city tomorrow?
Quote: However, there's the issue of ad-hoc networking by Windows. How many "WiFi networks" are really just traveler's laptops--laptops that might very well be in another city tomorrow?
None. Or at least, none that would be used by such a database. It's trivial to tell the difference between an "ad-hoc" network and an infrastructure network, and I'd be 99% certain that anyone mapping AP's would be ignoring ad-hoc networks.

Things like MiFi's and portable APs would be a different story and could certainly lead to mis-leading results, but generally these are going to be very low power compared to fixed networks so I doubt they are too much of a problem.
Quote: None. Or at least, none that would be used by such a database. It's trivial to tell the difference between an "ad-hoc" network and an infrastructure network, and I'd be 99% certain that anyone mapping AP's would be ignoring ad-hoc networks.

Things like MiFi's and portable APs would be a different story and could certainly lead to mis-leading results, but generally these are going to be very low power compared to fixed networks so I doubt they are too much of a problem.
Look upthread--people were reporting tracked bags showing up far from where they really were.