UA: IAH-IST $538ai

Subscribe
UA: IAH-IST $538ai (K)

Sample:
Apr 6-7 IAH-EWR-IST-EWR-IAH $538ai (12858mi ~4.2cpm)

-PERMITTED 01APR 13 THROUGH 16MAY 13 ON THE OUTBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
-TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
-TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO LATER THAN 3 MONTHS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.
-FOR ROUND TRIP FARES.

TK: IAH-IST-IAH nonstop available for $598ai (G)

----------
I am also seeing other discounted fares for the Middle-east region (ex-IAH) around this time - I noticed DOH,BAH,KWI,DXB,TLV (around $700ai)....there might be more....
Is it possible to do a turn in an hour and a half in Istanbul?

I noticed it arrives at 12:20 and leaves at 1:55..

Any thoughts for this?
And does one need a visa if staying in the airport?
Quote: Is it possible to do a turn in an hour and a half in Istanbul?

I noticed it arrives at 12:20 and leaves at 1:55..

Any thoughts for this?
To be within the fare rules, you would have to depart EWR on a Saturday evening to return same day. It clearly uses the same aircraft back. You won't have any bags, obviously, and you would be near the front of the plane if you are already a Gold or above. But you would be at the vagaries of a Turkish customs line and a Turkish security line on the re-entry to airside.
Quote: To be within the fare rules, you would have to depart EWR on a Saturday evening to return same day. It clearly uses the same aircraft back. You won't have any bags, obviously, and you would be near the front of the plane if you are already a Gold or above. But you would be at the vagaries of a Turkish customs line and a Turkish security line on the re-entry to airside.
And not have the opportunity to visit the Turkish lounge, one of the best!
Quote: And does one need a visa if staying in the airport?
If you had your return BP's you'd needn't clear customs. Check at the connections desk and you'd likely be returning with only a security check.

The visa fee is not that much.
UA: IAH-IST $538ai
Just visited iST this summer. Visa was $60US. Depending on the time of the day you might have to wait before getting your visa, then you need to proceed to the customs and immigration lane. It will be really tight for you the catch the return flight. In my opinion its not worth returning the same day.
Quote: Just visited iST this summer. Visa was $60US. .
Thats just for Canadians - everyone else is either free of $20 max.

There is a transfer desk before they ll let you go upstairs to the departure level if need be to get your BPs on an immediate turn.
Woot! Thank you so much OP! Booked, and $150 GCs for spouse and self applied. $388 RT

Leaving IAH on May 15, transfer in NJ. Returning on May 22.
Visa for USA citizens is $20US. I don't think those that did a same day turn had to buy one. But I'd recommend a stay in the city.

This way beats the $740 it was. Thanks OP.
thanks OP! Booked April 20 - 27....was thinking about doing a classic MR but decided to make it into a mini-vacation. Never been there before but looking forward to it!
I just returned yesterday from a short trip that took advantage of the $504 RT ORD-EWR-IST fare that was (or maybe still is) out there. I stayed in the city for a few days though. I'd highly recommend doing so rather than just a quick turn. Stay in Sultanahmet if you haven't been before to quickly see the sights and avoid Istanbul traffic.

I can confirm that the visa cost for US citizens is $20 US (or 15 Euro). Ataturk also has transfer desk that allows you to catch an international connection without clearing passport control and customs. From their website (link here):

Transfer Passengers (International Transfer Passengers With An International Connection Flight): A boarding card is issued for the passenger (if not issued in the country of origin) at the transit desk of the relevant handling company on the Arrivals floor. The passenger does not go through passport control. Instead, he/she directly proceeds through the transit area into the International Departures area. Baggage will be automatically transferred to the connecting flight.

I imagine this is the way to do it if you were looking for a quick 1.5 hour turnaround. I would not recommend trying to clear customs and security in that short of time. It would be dicey at best.
For those wondering, I would highly advise against doing a same day turn MR. Customs took almost 1.5 hours alone, then when we departed IST it took us almost an hour just to get through exit customs/security.

Spend a night in IST and go out and see the city!
Quote: For those wondering, I would highly advise against doing a same day turn MR. Customs took almost 1.5 hours alone, then when we departed IST it took us almost an hour just to get through exit customs/security.

I don't understand you logic. If you do a same day turn without leaving the airport then you would have avoid all the troubles you described! So why do you against doing the same day turn?
Oh, I'd be wary of those Middle East turnarounds. Seems some of the passengers over there are having hissy fits. Pretty much makes flying over there a pain in the Asp.

http://thisafrica.com/man-smuggles-s...ncy-landing-3/

Quote: I am also seeing other discounted fares for the Middle-east region (ex-IAH) around this time - I noticed DOH,BAH,KWI,DXB,TLV (around $700ai)....there might be more....