Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Former "Preferred Plus" seats now "Reserved for elite and full fare customers"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dstan
MODERATOR NOTE

Over the last few years, several different names have been used for AA seats that are reserved for pre-assignment to elites, full-fare passengers, and those paying an additional fee. Note that all remaining seats are released for assignment to any passenger (for free) closer to departure time. Current and historical names are summarized below.

Can be pre-reserved by elite and full fare customers only for free
Nov 09, 2012: Preferred - Reserved for elite and full fare customers
Aug 25, 2011: Preferred Plus
Aug 05, 2010: Preferred

Can be pre-reserved by elite and full fare customers for free and by other customers for an additional fee
Nov 09, 2012: Preferred
Aug 25, 2011: Preferred
Aug 05, 2010: Express

Historical Threads
• Aug 2011 - Former "Express Seats" now rebranded "Preferred Seats" - free for elite and full-fare
• Aug 2010 - "Your Choice" inc. Express Seats - Paid "Premium" Y Seating domestic/international
• Nov 2009 - Preferred seat? What does it mean? (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Gold SPG, Gold HH, Silver Marriott

I just saw today under the "select seat" section that they replaced "preferred plus" by "Reserved for elite and full fare customers".

Any clue why?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:24 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davidmiami
I just saw today under the "select seat" section that they replaced "preferred plus" by "Reserved for elite and full fare customers".

Any clue why?
My guess is that no one knew what Preferred and Preferred Plus seats were and how one qualified for them.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by HNL
My guess is that no one knew what Preferred and Preferred Plus seats were and how one qualified for them.
+1. It's been showing this way on the 77W since the seatmaps were released.

I think it's also because some MCE are reserved for elites/full fare. They were running out of colors to have Preferred, Preferred Plus, MCE and MCE plus!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: DL PLT, WN A-List Preferred, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, National Exec Elite
Selecting Seats

This may not be the right place to ask, but since the new "reserved for elite and full fare customers" seat map was released, I cannot select a seat for upcoming flights.

I just booked a new flight and the reservation automatically assigned me 18B, however if I try to select an exit seat, it doesn't do anything. No available seat is clickable. I've tried with IE and Chrome browsers.

The same happened with an existing reservation I had too.

Anyone else experience this?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by bnamike
This may not be the right place to ask, but since the new "reserved for elite and full fare customers" seat map was released, I cannot select a seat for upcoming flights.

I just booked a new flight and the reservation automatically assigned me 18B, however if I try to select an exit seat, it doesn't do anything. No available seat is clickable. I've tried with IE and Chrome browsers.

The same happened with an existing reservation I had too.

Anyone else experience this?
Others are experiencing various issues... it appears that some site re-work is being done. See this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...idated-40.html
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Call the desk until it has been fixed
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by miamigrad
Others are experiencing various issues... it appears that some site re-work is being done. See this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...idated-40.html
no kidding, web site very glitchy -- last night my reservations all disappeared on the "My Reservations" page.... but they are back this morning.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:06 pm

If you redeemed miles for AA ticket and get cabin T,you can choose preferred seats.
If you input your one world elite menbership no into the reservation or booked Y,you can choose :Reserved for elite and full fare customers"
Basically "preferred seats" is a broader category than "Reserved for elite and full fare customers"
Old Nov 11, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.2mm), SPG Plat, Accor Plat
No more preferred and p-plus?

Forgive me if this is old news and delete accordingly if that's the case...

I just noticed that there are now Preferred seats and a little star at a seat means it is "Reserved for Elite and Full Fare Customers."

I honestly never got the P and P-plus thing. It was not clear at all, so I think this is a big improvement. Plus, it strokes the egos of the elites (particularly the golds) who will feel special when selecting a seat.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by jefftf1
Forgive me if this is old news and delete accordingly if that's the case...

I just noticed that there are now Preferred seats and a little star at a seat means it is "Reserved for Elite and Full Fare Customers."

I honestly never got the P and P-plus thing. It was not clear at all, so I think this is a big improvement. Plus, it strokes the egos of the elites (particularly the golds) who will feel special when selecting a seat.
Yes, it would have been a spectral <mess> in the seatmaps if they kept the P/PP system with flights that had MCE since there are some MCE seats reserved for elites/full fare. They would have needed Preferred, Preferred Plus, Main Cabin Extra and Main Cabin Extra Plus. It sure would devalue a regular coach seat if there were four higher tiers with the cabin!

Last edited by beerup; Nov 11, 2012 at 2:02 pm Reason: <> not allowed
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
The "Preferred" and "Preferred Plus" monikers still appear on this page:

http://www.aa.com/seats
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by jefftf1
I think that even the Golds know that there is nothing inherently different about those seats, except that they are closer to the front, so they arrive at the destination slightly before the back of the plane.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.2mm), SPG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I think that even the Golds know that there is nothing inherently different about those seats, except that they are closer to the front, so they arrive at the destination slightly before the back of the plane.
Yes. I am not suggesting that people think these are better seats. But the fact that they can select these seats while others can't will surely stroke the ego.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:19 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Wiki post added with some historical info.

/Moderator
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Oh, great, let's make it even more confusing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.