Flying to Europe: 777-200 (IAD) vs 767-400ER (EWR) vs 767-300 (ORD)

Subscribe
Which product do people prefer? All cost the same!

Probably will fly in Y.
In the sCO days, I did the 772 LHR service from EWR frequently. That said, we went last spring and did the outbound leg on the 772 and the return leg on a 752. I know a lot of people whine about the 757 TATL service, but I think I actually preferred it. The crew was amazing, they "seemed" more personal on the 757--I'm not sure if it was the smaller cabin, or if there's an extra crew member in that configuration, but I'd certainly do it again.
Quote: Which product do people prefer? All cost the same!

Probably will fly in Y.
I just did the 777-200 & the 767-300 this week, both in Y. The 767 is one of my favorite planes for daytime flights - great aisle to seat ratio, so moving around is easy. However, as far as I could tell there really aren't any "better" seats in E+ on this aircraft. My flight on this equip. was outbound, IAD-ZRH, overnight. In the end, I didn't sleep terribly well in my standard E+ seat.

The 777-200 daytime return flight was great. But (and this is a big but) I was in the first row of E+, where the configuration is 2-3-2, not 3-3-3. Those '2' seat sections have lots of legroom - I could extend my legs horizontal and not touch the bulkhead when sitting upright. There was no problem getting in and out, and almost no random traffic in that area. There are similar bulkhead seats at the front of the E- section, but I walked back there and wasn't impressed. There is a lot of lav traffic in that area. I also like keeping the window open for a daytime flight (who wants to sleep during the day??), but my three windows were just about the only open ones in the entire economy cabin. Since I wasn't in the middle of the cabin, I didn't feel like I was disturbing too many people.
Did you recall which ones had power outlets?
Quote: Which product do people prefer? All cost the same!

Probably will fly in Y.
What route are you flying? Also consider that not all 777s flying out of IAD - Europe have been converted, so you may get an old configured 777. The flight out of ORD on the 763 more then likely will be a 3-cabin 763, which aside from getting new seat covers etc in Y, will still have the 80s look. If you really want to have all the bells and whistles I'd go for the flight out of EWR on the 764.
Quote: What route are you flying? Also consider that not all 777s flying out of IAD - Europe have been converted, so you may get an old configured 777. The flight out of ORD on the 763 more then likely will be a 3-cabin 763, which aside from getting new seat covers etc in Y, will still have the 80s look. If you really want to have all the bells and whistles I'd go for the flight out of EWR on the 764.
I'm flying to BRU (Brussels). Kind of interesting I have the choice of three different aircraft to the same destination.
Since I usually travel with my wife, I prefer the 767s due to the fact that it is a two seat side instead of the 3 on the 777s or 757s....having that "extra" person there is fine for a domestic flight, but more awkward on such a long flight.
764 / 772 / 763 in that order due to power in the seats 764/777, then seat config 2-3-2 vs 3-3-3, then no power and old basic chanel config for entertainment on the 763.
Quote: Did you recall which ones had power outlets?
The new config 777-200 had 1 power outlet for two seats in the bulkhead row of E+. It is not between the seats, but instead was under the J seat, maybe 4-5 inches over from the J/K divider.. I probably could have accessed it from K, but the cord would have been annoying to the J passenger. I didn't see where the outlets were in the 3-3-3 rows. They're tucked down pretty far under the seats, so I would have had to kneel down to look.
Definitely the 764. All but one sCO 764 have been converted with E+, power outlets and AVOD in Y.
Quote: All but one sCO 764 have been converted with E+, power outlets and AVOD in Y.
There are five unconverted sCO 764s and as of 11/4,
all five appear more than occasionally on TATL flights from EWR.

In particular, UA 118/119 flights between EWR and FRA are
now operated mostly with unconverted Hawaii 764 planes
that nave neither E+, nor power outlets, nor AVOD in Y.
In Y, for me I'd go sUA 767 by preference. I strongly prefer 2 seats by the window and I prefer the softer seats. I'm not interested in power or IFE. After that sCO 764, then sUA 777 (slight chance of old configuration) then sCO 777. I do agree with the OP, however, that the TATL 757 is surprisingly nice.
Quote: There are five unconverted sCO 764s and as of 11/4,
all five appear more than occasionally on TATL flights from EWR.

In particular, UA 118/119 flights between EWR and FRA are
now operated mostly with unconverted Hawaii 764 planes
that nave neither E+, nor power outlets, nor AVOD in Y.
That's unfortunate; I flew one of the "converted" 764s to CDG and it was the nicest coach seat I've ever had. More comfortable, best IFE, nice interior. Absolutely impressed with it. I would try to book that plane for any flight possible (in Y). Looked like the biz-first seats might be a bit close together compared to others, but that was someone else's issue, not mine.
Quote: That's unfortunate; I flew one of the "converted" 764s to CDG and it was the nicest coach seat I've ever had. More comfortable, best IFE, nice interior. Absolutely impressed with it. I would try to book that plane for any flight possible (in Y). Looked like the biz-first seats might be a bit close together compared to others, but that was someone else's issue, not mine.
Great. Thanks, you guys are a treasure trove of information!

I booked the 777 going over (good IFE but no power): IAD-BRU
Coming back I'm flying the 767-400ER (good IFE and power): BRU-EWR
Quote: Great. Thanks, you guys are a treasure trove of information!

I booked the 777 going over (good IFE but no power): IAD-BRU
Coming back I'm flying the 767-400ER (good IFE and power): BRU-EWR
The other issue to consider with sUA 767's is terrible overhead bin space. If you are in C or F, no problem. In Y, this is a real problem if you are going carryon only.