Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Carry-on / Overhead bins size limits for various UX aircraft

Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 14, 2012, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum

Having only flown recently on PMCO widebodies and the occasional 752, I would be very grateful for some advice - simply, just how stringent are the GAs these days about 45 linear inches being enforced ? I have a rollaboard of about 50 linear which has never been questioned before and which I have experimented with in a sizer (goes in with a squeeze and has the wheels just jutting out). I am considering some connectors using CR7 and EMB equipment.

Would my carryon fit in the overheads of those smaller aircraft or am I looking at a mandatory pink tag ?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM(BIS)
All rollaboards are tagged at the gate and put into the hold when flying on CR2, CR7 and EMB120's, returned as you disembark either at the plane or in the jetway. Pretty certain that same always applies to EMB170. Overhead and under seat storage on these planes is very limited.

If you have a notebook P.C. or any other fragile items you should always remove these and take them or board with you.

Note that international (or even some U.S. domestic) travel with carry-on larger than 22 x 14 x 9 is taking a risk!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
It won't fit.

But the gate checking process is pretty painless. Just make sure you keep your laptop and other valuables with you in your smaller carry-on, the "personal item."
Old Apr 14, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle
Mine (22 in) fits no prob on the 700. Can actually smash it in on the 200, bit of a hassle though.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 2:51 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by if1km
All rollaboards are tagged at the gate and put into the hold when flying on CR2, CR7 and EMB120's, returned as you disembark either at the plane or in the jetway. Pretty certain that same always applies to EMB170. Overhead and under seat storage on these planes is very limited.
Not necessarily.

Most GAs for the UA E-170s I've flown encourage pax to try their rollaboards in the overheads. My normal rollaboards fit in the E-170s, no problem.

My smaller rollaboard fits in the CR7 and even the CR2--the latter is the only case I've had to ask the GA and FA to let me try (they said it wouldn't fit).
Old Apr 14, 2012, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mickeydfly13
Mine (22 in) fits no prob on the 700. Can actually smash it in on the 200, bit of a hassle though.
That's amazing. I can barely get my backpack into the overhead of a CRJ-700. let alone my rollaboard.

On the CRJ-200. I can't even get my backpack in the overhead (I just put it under the seat in front of me).
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:00 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
On the CRJ-200. I can't even get my backpack in the overhead (I just put it under the seat in front of me).
My 20" Samsonite rollaboard will fit in the CR2 bins, though it does have to be crammed. I usually gate check it anyway, but when I am facing a tight connection, prefer to not have to stand around for an extra 5-7 minutes waiting for it. It goes in sideways and takes up a good portion of a bin.

My larger 22" rollaboards are thicker and don't fit the CR2, though they do fit the CR7 and E-170 no problem.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
My 20" Samsonite rollaboard will fit in the CR2 bins, though it does have to be crammed. I usually gate check it anyway, but when I am facing a tight connection, prefer to not have to stand around for an extra 5-7 minutes waiting for it. It goes in sideways and takes up a good portion of a bin.

My larger 22" rollaboards are thicker and don't fit the CR2, though they do fit the CR7 and E-170 no problem.
I believe you but I do find that very surprising.

Here is a photo of an overhead compartment on a CRJ-700. Notice how narrow the height it (compare to the size of the water bottle). Notice also how this fairly empty back pack (not mine) barely fits in:

(photo credit: Erik Seo Photography)
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by UK1A
I am considering some connectors using CR7 and EMB equipment.
Tumi Vapor Int'l carryon fits sideways in CR7 (except on the A side in F).
Old Apr 14, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I have a 20" Travelpro crew 5. It can squish to about 20"x7-8"x15" if the contents allow. When at those dimensions, it does fit in CR2, CR7, and E170 in the economy bins (versus first where applicable). I also remember some success with the smaller EMBs although, I'm less clear on which was which, and at times I've put the rollaboard under the seat. If the contents are bigger and the 8" becomes more like 11", then it will only fit on the E170. The 20" doesn't matter as they go in all the planes sideways, not lengthwise.

My data on acceptance of carrying on is from 2011. Nearly always the GA will declare at the gate that all rollaboards need to be gate checked. Usually if I say I've had it in that plane type before, or I want to try it, they'll accept that although sometimes they want me to take a tag anyway, which I do. I've never dealt with the sizer. It's about 50% whether the FA will protest versus say nothing when I show up to board the plane. Polite discussion usually works. I also find they are more flexible if you are in First, where that applies.

Generally, they have to know it will fit, especially as they also let crews on with similar bags - you will often see crew bags in those overheads prior to boarding. However, I'm guessing they don't want the word out about some bags fitting, because then most people start acting like "well MY bag will fit" and many bags don't. Easier just to tell everyone nothing fits. Once with a long walk and a minimum connection, I had an FA tell me it wouldn't fit and from the tone I knew this was not going to be good to discuss, and in a travel daze kind of way just put it right in, and then, "Oh, what? Oh, I guess it does." I do not recommend that approach if you want friendly FA service.

Generally, I still gate check on RJs other than E170, rather than deal with it, unless I have a bad connection situation.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedHeadFlyer
I have a 20" Travelpro crew 5. It can squish to about 20"x7-8"x15" if the contents allow. When at those dimensions, it does fit in CR2, CR7, and E170 in the economy bins (versus first where applicable). I also remember some success with the smaller EMBs although, I'm less clear on which was which, and at times I've put the rollaboard under the seat. If the contents are bigger and the 8" becomes more like 11", then it will only fit on the E170. The 20" doesn't matter as they go in all the planes sideways, not lengthwise.

My data on acceptance of carrying on is from 2011. Nearly always the GA will declare at the gate that all rollaboards need to be gate checked. Usually if I say I've had it in that plane type before, or I want to try it, they'll accept that although sometimes they want me to take a tag anyway, which I do. I've never dealt with the sizer. It's about 50% whether the FA will protest versus say nothing when I show up to board the plane. Polite discussion usually works. I also find they are more flexible if you are in First, where that applies.

Generally, they have to know it will fit, especially as they also let crews on with similar bags - you will often see crew bags in those overheads prior to boarding. However, I'm guessing they don't want the word out about some bags fitting, because then most people start acting like "well MY bag will fit" and many bags don't. Easier just to tell everyone nothing fits. Once with a long walk and a minimum connection, I had an FA tell me it wouldn't fit and from the tone I knew this was not going to be good to discuss, and in a travel daze kind of way just put it right in, and then, "Oh, what? Oh, I guess it does." I do not recommend that approach if you want friendly FA service.

Generally, I still gate check on RJs other than E170, rather than deal with it, unless I have a bad connection situation.
I must live in a parallel universe, because my Tumi T3 rollaboard (20x14x9) won't even get close to fitting into the overhead compartment of a CRJ-700...
Old Apr 14, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Lots of discussion of this kind of topic in Travel Products. I have only gate checked once - because of a moronic US ramper who insisted - when flying an RJ since dumping wheels and switching to the Red Oxx Sky Train and Air Boss

Originally Posted by if1km

If you have a notebook P.C. or any other fragile items you should always remove these and take them or board with you.

Note that international (or even some U.S. domestic) travel with carry-on larger than 22 x 14 x 9 is taking a risk!
The E170 almost never requires a gate check. If it does, its because the bins are full, not because legal carry-ons don't fit.

ERJ145 is a different story.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
I must live in a parallel universe, because my Tumi T3 rollaboard (20x14x9) won't even get close to fitting into the overhead compartment of a CRJ-700...
That's interesting, because it seems to be the same in two dimensions as my Tumi that does. Were you meaning wheels out or sideways? (I hate sideways bags, but I also have stuff I won't gate check, so...)
Old Apr 14, 2012, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deirdre
That's interesting, because it seems to be the same in two dimensions as my Tumi that does. Were you meaning wheels out or sideways? (I hate sideways bags, but I also have stuff I won't gate check, so...)
I just can't get it in at all...

I also have stuff I won't gate check, but I always put that in my back pack which I keep on the plane.

In a way, I like gate check. It's pretty painless, and only adds a few minutes to my flight upon arrival.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by N1120A
The E170 almost never requires a gate check. If it does, its because the bins are full, not because legal carry-ons don't fit.

ERJ145 is a different story.
I agree. My Tumi fits fine (I dont overstuff) Was actively encouraged by one gate agent to carry it on. However I had another gate agent insist I check it even though I knew it would fit sideways.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.