Qantas upgrade policy

Subscribe
I am One World emerald and Qantas gold. I work overseas and many of the guys I work with say that Qantas occasionally will upgrade them, but they aren't ever told why. This has never happened to me, so is there any rhyme or reason as to why this might occur or what I might be able to do to make this more likely to happen? I don't think that the Qantas program has any automatic upgrades as part of its program like many other airlines do...so, any advice as to what I might do to get upgraded?

TIA
The only way to upgrade on Qantas is to pay for a ticket change or to use points.

In the event of an oversell, Qantas may issue op ups.
Quote: ... so, any advice as to what I might do to get upgraded?
I suspect that the most reliable answer as to what you can do is "be lucky".
Quote: ...many of the guys I work with say that Qantas occasionally will upgrade them...
Some of the corporate discount agreements include a provision that J upgrades to F when space is available. This is quite common in the investment banking community, for example. These are not op-ups but a negotiated fare. Is your ticket endorsed "QF only"? That is one pre-req for this type of deal.
They do seem to give a few introductory upgrades on accession to P1, but otherwise its strictly oversold situations IME.
Quote: They do seem to give a few introductory upgrades on accession to P1, but otherwise its strictly oversold situations IME.
That's about right - other than that, there can be a level of prioritization employed - search this forum for posts containing the term "Proactive Onload".
Definitely subject to oversells on International (from which I have benefited a couple of times, including my very first long-haul international many years ago from y->J - win!), but on domestic I've scored countless op-ups on half-empty flights.
Of course if you're flying PER-MEL-SYD, the op-up will be on the MEL-SYD sector....
Quote: They do seem to give a few introductory upgrades on accession to P1, but otherwise its strictly oversold situations IME.
Well bugger me if I didn't just get two dom upgrades in a row.
The first was only about 30% full so I've no idea what triggered that, but the second was close to 100%. (J5, Y4)