Can miles from frequent flyer programs from the same alliance be combined?

Subscribe
Quote: +1 If you are on a limited (miles) budget and want to see the world, save the miles of flying in comfort (business class) for trips to Asia (and similar farther away places). Flying from NYC to Europe is very doable in coach, and you can also consider mixing it up (one way in coach and another in business). Also invest sometime to study the airline mileage redemption rules to take advantage of free stopover and open jaw, and potentially combine multiple destinations in one trip.
Yep. Especially because the OP is in New York, he can take advantage of AA's stopover rule to create the first half of a domestic RT. Although this thread talks about using the stopover on the outward bound portion of a flight from SFO, the principles are the same if JFK is the originating airport.

Just as a quick example. If you did JFK-LHR (ignoring for the moment the potential for huge fuel surcharges if your flight ends up on BA metal) on a MileSAAver award during the offseason, you could structure LHR-JFK-SFO on the way back. The award cost for JFK-LHR-JFK-SFO would be the same as for JFK-LHR-JFK, 40K miles. You have a year to complete travel on the JFK-SFO leg left from your "stopover," so you could possibly book a MileSAAver SFO-JFK award to complete the second trip at 12.5K.

In other words, you could potentially spend 110K on AAnytime economy awards for JFK-LHR-JFK and JFK-SFO-JFK--or 52.5K as set forth above.

If you have limited means to gather miles, make your goals realistic and learn how to use the rules to stretch the value of your miles. Trying to do a business class award with limited means is like a hungry, unemployed man taking his last $500 for dinner at Per Se. Might be a delicious dinner, but it's almost certainly not a wise use of $500 for him.
Quote:
-You do not need 100k in one program. You also have the possibility of using two one way awards from two different programs.
Examples:

Very excellent point. I should have thought of this myself. This will give me some much-needed flexibility.

Quote:
#1- Apply for 2x AA cards and you'll have 106k AA miles. $6k purchases in 4 months. Using the above this would take you 60 weeks to pay back at $100 a week.

or

#2 Apply for 1x Chase MP explorer-55K after $1k spend
Apply for 1x Chase Sapphire Preferred 40k after $3k in spending.
You will have 98k United Miles, and will take 40 weeks to pay yourself back.

One year later do the other example for your next trip.

Thank you much for this suggestion. This actually sounds workable. I am now in the process of putting together an app-o-rama using one of these two options as the centerpiece.
Question from a newbie: In addition to these 2 options you suggest, should I also apply for other cc's that have no minimum spend requirement, just to get the ball rolling with those miles?
Quote: Not only that, I also found out that you cannot even redeem miles + cash to earn an international business class flight, which would have been a tremendous help, considering how hard it would be to pool 100,000 miles+ in just one ff program.
did you not read my post about Avianca/TACA Lifemiles? In that program, you can do cash+ points.

Go and study this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...gram-star.html
I kind of disagree. With signup bonuses and a variety of creative ways to maximize points, flying business vs. coach is like a man deciding to eat once at Cheesecake Factory rather than twice at McDonalds.

Business class is usually about 2/3 more than coach. If you can sign up for a bunch of credit cards, you can perhaps get 300,000 miles or points, which is 3 business-class trips to Europe or 5 coach trips. Admittedly it's not all THAT trivial. (For example, you can get 40K USAir points for signing up, but with limited transfer partners and them allowing only round-trip awards, it's not trivial to get your US account to 100K for a business class award.)

A purely personal perspective; as I get older I find myself achier and crankier and less willing to sit in coach on a long trip. I took my first-ever overseas trip last month and did fly business class both ways. I'm really happy I did, and unless I had a particular reason to be in Europe, I think I'd rather stay home and save my points for another trip than fly coach. If I had to pay the cash prices, where business class is 2-4 times as much as coach, it would be a different matter.

I might - might - feel differently if points were that hard to get, but by signing up for credit cards and using assorted tricks outlined on this website, my wife and I will earn about 800K points this year while flying almost not at all and spending only about $25K on credit cards. I certainly don't expect to do 800K every year, but it will be a nice stash to last us a few years.
Quote: Thank you much for this suggestion. This actually sounds workable. I am now in the process of putting together an app-o-rama using one of these two options as the centerpiece.
Question from a newbie: In addition to these 2 options you suggest, should I also apply for other cc's that have no minimum spend requirement, just to get the ball rolling with those miles?
I personally think the US air card at no minimum is a must:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...5k-benies.html
Quote: Actually, I have been a semi-avid traveler for several years now. So far, I have been to 13 countries around the world. Unfortunately, all of these international flights were in Economy Class. This is exactly why I'm so adamant about wanting to fly in Business Class (at least).
The last trip I took was to Thailand (via Hong Kong) in CX economy. I even paid an extra $100 to purchase an exit row seat (31a). The trip was nearly 16 hours long, and, let me tell you, it almost killed me. Needless to say I got virtually no sleep. It took me 3 precious days of my vacation to recover from this.
You need develop better reading skills ;-) No one was suggesting you should travel to Asia in economy class. On the other hand, a non-stop flight from NYC to Paris, for example, is only approximately 7 hrs in duration, thus more tolerable if you have to fly in coach (compared to future flights to Asia). You are also a bit over dramatic -- I've done 14+ hour non-stop flight in coach to Asia when necessary and once upon a time even spend 22+ hours en-route each way with connecting flights. If you would be traveling overseas with your parents or other elderly relatives, then I would definitely agree with business class seats for them. On that thought you should do something nice for your parents (as you live rent free), in whichever way that they might appreciate.
Quote: I personally think the US air card at no minimum is a must:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...5k-benies.html
Wow, you took the thoughts right out of my head. I was actually going to mention this card by name.
Thanks, I will definitely add this to my app party.
Quote: #2 Apply for 1x Chase MP explorer-55K after $1k spend
Apply for 1x Chase Sapphire Preferred 40k after $3k in spending.
You will have 98k United Miles, and will take 40 weeks to pay yourself back.
I just wanted to point out that though you can apply for both of these cards, if you apply for more than one Chase card within 30 days they will auto-deny the second one. I have done this, and I was able to get approved for the second by calling the reconsideration line, but if there's no rush it's probably better to space out your Chase applications.

I just saw that FTG had a post yesterday that gives an overview of the various CC issuers and guidelines for dealing with each:
http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2012/...lications.html
Quote: I just wanted to point out that though you can apply for both of these cards, if you apply for more than one Chase card within 30 days they will auto-deny the second one. I have done this, and I was able to get approved for the second by calling the reconsideration line, but if there's no rush it's probably better to space out your Chase applications.

I just saw that FTG had a post yesterday that gives an overview of the various CC issuers and guidelines for dealing with each:
http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2012/...lications.html
I already have 2 Chase credit cards-- the Chase Freedom and Chase Slate cards.
I don't want to get rid of my Chase Slate card, as it is the oldest card I have, dating back to 1998, which helps my credit history. However, what should I do with my Chase Freedom card once I get the Chase United Mileage Plus and Chase Sapphire cards? Should I cancel it? I've only had this card for about 1 year.
Quote: I already have 2 Chase credit cards-- the Chase Freedom and Chase Slate cards.
I don't want to get rid of my Chase Slate card, as it is the oldest card I have, dating back to 1998, which helps my credit history. However, what should I do with my Chase Freedom card once I get the Chase United Mileage Plus and Chase Sapphire cards? Should I cancel it? I've only had this card for about 1 year.
No, no, no, no, no. The Chase Freedom, despite its modest profile, is a great card to have in combination with the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Why? The CSP has two bonus categories, travel and dining, that earn 2 UR points per dollar spent. The Freedom, designated as a cash back card, actually earns points that can be transferred to a UR account IF you have a CSP or an Ink Bold or Ink Plus. Even better, the Freedom's quarterly bonus categories (for which you must remember to register--there's nothing automatic about these earning categories) will eventually get you 5 UR points per dollar instead of 1, up to a maximum of 6K bonus points per quarter.

Here's a thread on the upcoming bonus categories: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ategories.html.

In short, keep the card. And since you're in New York, open a Chase checking account if you don't already have one: http://thepointsguy.com/2012/04/maxi...nk-bold-combo/.

This combination is one way that folks with modest spending patterns can earn a lot more miles.
Quote: No, no, no, no, no. The Chase Freedom, despite its modest profile, is a great card to have in combination with the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Why? The CSP has two bonus categories, travel and dining, that earn 2 UR points per dollar spent. The Freedom, designated as a cash back card, actually earns points that can be transferred to a UR account IF you have a CSP or an Ink Bold or Ink Plus. Even better, the Freedom's quarterly bonus categories (for which you must remember to register--there's nothing automatic about these earning categories) will eventually get you 5 UR points per dollar instead of 1, up to a maximum of 6K bonus points per quarter.

Here's a thread on the upcoming bonus categories: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ategories.html.

In short, keep the card. And since you're in New York, open a Chase checking account if you don't already have one: http://thepointsguy.com/2012/04/maxi...nk-bold-combo/.

This combination is one way that folks with modest spending patterns can earn a lot more miles.
This is brilliant advice. I will do exactly as you suggest, and, believe me, I'm such a stubborn person that I rarely take advice without modifying it! In your case, the advice was perfect as is!!
Quote: Frankly, I'm pretty demoralized by now. I keep getting one piece of bad news after another.
First, it was that I can't combine ff miles, even among airlines in the same alliance. This seriously limits me.
Now, I'm finding out that I can't even add cash to miles if I am short of earning a flight.
I'm not sure I even want to go through the trouble of doing this. No wonder most people don't.
for myself, and my wife, i just purchased some 220K united miles at $0.02+tax each. i used a credit card. cost was $4.4k+ so, got another 8k in miles on my chase card.
Quote: for myself, and my wife, i just purchased some 220K united miles at $0.02+tax each. i used a credit card. cost was $4.4k+ so, got another 8k in miles on my chase card.
slawecki: it's good value if these purchased miles are used wisely. However I wouldn't bother trying to convince OP at this point, especially after seeing his statement in another post as follows:

Quote: As for the redeeming issue, I am pretty aware at this point that the airlines will not make this easy for me, even thought I tend to travel between mid-Jan to mid-Mar on weekdays. The only thing I can do is try it out, and if I find that these ff programs are run by dishonest, dirty dogs, I will dump them like a bad habit that's about to kill me, then spread the word like wildfire that they are not worth a dime. Let's just see what happens.
Quote: slawecki: it's good value if these purchased miles are used wisely. However I wouldn't bother trying to convince OP at this point, especially after seeing his statement in another post as follows:
I absolutely still stand by that statement. I'm not saying that they will be dishonest, but my b.s. meter is pretty sharp, and I can identify unfairness from a mile away.
Quote: I absolutely still stand by that statement. I'm not saying that they will be dishonest, but my b.s. meter is pretty sharp, and I can identify unfairness from a mile away.
Waste of effort. The programs set the rules and can change them at almost anytime, inherently building a certain level of unfairness into the game. Accepting THAT fact and then learning to deal with the changes when they come, including identifying new opportunities when old ones are taken away (and there generally are some), should be at the very heart of what people who chase miles and points do.