Questions/Discussion About WiFi Availability on United Flights [Merged]

Subscribe
End of 2015?
Quote: The Wall Street Journal has a story on wi-fi and planes today. Just 2% of United planes have wi-fi, better only than Jetblue.

United Airlines said its installation of satellite-based equipment will begin in the second half of this year, with all planes equipped by the end of 2015.

Here's the story:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopStories
Thanks. I definitely don't want to wait 3+ years. Anyone know whether Delta is willing to match elite status?
This was the number 1 reason I switched from UA to AS for transcons. Ran into a 1K I used to do business with, and he just switched to VX for the same reason. Once you start using it, you get used to it, and I can't imagine a 5 hour daytime flight with no connectivity now.

UA and B6 are the only transcons now out of the DC area without Wi-Fi, and B6 has just 1-2 west coast flights a day from here. DL, US, AA, AS, even 1/2 the WN flights out of BWI have it. This isn't channel 9 or seat back IFE, this is a business service, and without it, UA's in-flight service is becoming as dated as it's 757s.
Quote: This has already been committed.. .Panasonic is the vendor.
Only for some of the fleet. For the other part LiveTV will be the vendor. The LiveTV systems installs are supposed to start around Q3 for some aircraft, though not necessarily the UA side (i.e. B6 might get it first seeing as how they own LiveTV).
Quote: Thanks. I definitely don't want to wait 3+ years. Anyone know whether Delta is willing to match elite status?
Let's not lose sight of the fact that in-flight WiFi isn't as simple as UA ordering a few hundred Linksys routers. You're talking about a system that relies on a satellite link for service and an FAA approval before it can be rolled out. Neither happens quickly.

There's no denying UA's [perceived*] competitive disadvantage, but I'd rather see a methodical roll-out done right than a quick & dirty roll-out that results in MX 50% of the time.

*I say perceived because, for all the benefits of being connected at 30K ft., I welcome that time to be blissfully off the grid. YMMV.
Quote: Let's not lose sight of the fact that in-flight WiFi isn't as simple as UA ordering a few hundred Linksys routers. You're talking about a system that relies on a satellite link for service and an FAA approval before it can be rolled out. Neither happens quickly.
True, though it is to the point now that gogo is able to deploy a system on STC-approved planes in an overnight MX visit, so the process isn't terribly slow. One of the two systems that United is depending on is already functional and there is hardware certified and ready to be deployed. It still needs to be certified on the UA planes, but the Panasonic stuff should pretty much be plug-and-play at this point, at least in the context of aircraft upgrades. The LiveTV bits are somewhat behind given that VIASAT-1 was launched only at the end of last year and that there is still plenty of testing going on there; it isn't really into production yet, nor is the transponder hardware for the planes.
Quote: True, though it is to the point now that gogo is able to deploy a system on STC-approved planes in an overnight MX visit, so the process isn't terribly slow. One of the two systems that United is depending on is already functional and there is hardware certified and ready to be deployed. It still needs to be certified on the UA planes, but the Panasonic stuff should pretty much be plug-and-play at this point, at least in the context of aircraft upgrades. The LiveTV bits are somewhat behind given that VIASAT-1 was launched only at the end of last year and that there is still plenty of testing going on there; it isn't really into production yet, nor is the transponder hardware for the planes.
I just don't know why they can't install Wifi while they reconfigure E+ on PMCO planes or longer MX overhauls on PMUA planes.

Maybe they weren't ready with the equipment? It only seems logical to me to do it all at once though.
Quote: I just don't know why they can't install Wifi while they reconfigure E+ on PMCO planes or longer MX overhauls on PMUA planes.

Maybe they weren't ready with the equipment? It only seems logical to me to do it all at once though.
E+ configs and wifi installs likely do not happen in the same place.

While I agree that the install isn't a simple process I just wish they would go forward with a vendor and move on it. In-flight wifi is no longer a new age technology that is unproven. Advancements with this technology will continue to be made but as with anything tech related the advancements will come pretty rapidly. While UA sits on their hands waiting for everything to be fully tested and proven just about all of their competitors will have wifi on a majority of their fleets
This is frustrating and stupid. AS, DL, DL regionals, WN, even AA have blown through WiFi installs while PMUA, PMCO, and UCH UA have just twiddled PowerPoints.
How much will it cost to use wifi inflight ?
Quote: How much will it cost to use wifi inflight ?
No details on this yet.
Personally, I prefer getting off the grid, but WiFi is really important to a lot of people, and I think this puts UA at a real competitive disadvantage. I'm surprised they are not doing this faster.
I do too but am interested in the cost and wonder if it will go the way of phones that used to be on planes where the cost was, to me anyway, ridiculous.
On the sCO side, the answer is because the decision was made to pursue LiveTV in the short term with the illusory promise (hope?) of WiFi service to follow "shortly thereafter." I think it's clear that CO bet wrong on LiveTV vs. WiFi, mostly because it came down to costs, and LiveTV was willing to bear virtually all of the risk in bringing it to CO airplanes. I enjoy the LiveTV and even purchase it in Y from time to time, but it really serves no business purpose and is strictly an entertainment option... although in-seat power is a great perk for offline productivity.

We all know that the LiveTV WiFi implementation has been nothing short of a comedy of errors, from abortive attempts to jury rig a land-based system built on obsolete technology to a spectacular rocket launch failure for a satellite-based solution. United will likely be a pioneer (among North American carriers) for international wifi but will sadly be years behind in rolling out a system for the domestic network.

The good news is that the UA system will be faster and more capable than the wifi currently available through other vendors but the question is, how long will we have to wait for it?
Read an interesting article about international WiFi.

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtm...d=003000AMDM1R

Quote:
Australian airline Qantas inched the world closer to international in-flight Wi-Fi in March by launching an eight-week trial with the service on flights between Australia and Los Angeles, allowing passengers in first and business classes to access the Internet on laptops, phones and tablets. They join airlines that include Lufthansa, and, later this year, United.
His idea: Airlines should invest in the infrastructure, use the Wi-Fi for its own purposes, then give a small amount free to passengers, whose expectations will drop -- because it's free -- to the point that not being able to stream YouTube videos will barely matter. They'll just be glad to update their Facebook status.
UA giving out something for free? HAHAHA.
I spoke to a girl working in the DEN United Club a few days ago and she was assigned the job of going to every Walmart, Sams Club, 7/11, and Costco in Colorado to purchase the exact same routers that are installed in all the United Clubs, worldwide, which would be installed in all aircraft in the next 4 years!

The #1 requirement, as directed from the management, she mentioned, is that no router be in an unopened or un-returned carton. She was given a bonus of a "Going The Extra Mile - 2012 certificate" that were not included in any 1k packets mailed out in Jan., for purchasing any product that was marked with a red sticker or a black felt tipped marker pen with an "X" on top of the box!