Upgrade with miles

Subscribe
Dear friends,

I cannot figure out what booking class may be upgraded from PV to Biz when the first segment is an european one but not french (I mean FCO/CDG, for instance).
Quote: Dear friends,

I cannot figure out what booking class may be upgraded from PV to Biz when the first segment is an european one but not french (I mean FCO/CDG, for instance).
I believe S and W (and not A) but would prefer someone to confirm!
All your questions answered

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0
Quote: All your questions answered

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0
Actually if I read it correctly, not really - it only mentions which economy buckets can be upgraded but not which Premium Economy or Affaires ones can be (some are excluded too: I'm sure about A for PE but wanted to double check it is the only one. Similarly Z and I are not upgradeable business fares).
Quote: I believe S and W (and not A) but would prefer someone to confirm!
You are correct
I can confirm, too,
I did manage to upgrade from A to biz for 19500 miles jnb cdg three weeks ago.
Was done at the counter manually as flight was about to close.
Quote: I did manage to upgrade from A to biz for 19500 miles jnb cdg three weeks ago.
Was done at the counter manually as flight was about to close.
Do they now have last-minute upgrades from lower fare classes similar to KL or was it a mistake?
Quote: Do they now have last-minute upgrades from lower fare classes similar to KL or was it a mistake?
Not sure. Maybe the computer saw the w connection to Casablanca and thought the entire trip was in w. don't know. Was all done with a smile.
J
Paid Upgrades On Award Ticket
Mrs. Redtop and I are flying separately to Europe on DL awards on AF; she is flying JFK-CDG on August 6; I am flying IAD-CDG on August 22.

Her flight is a week away, and I just got an offer to upgrade to PV for 139 euros and to Affaires for 329. A few questions:

1) From what I see on the various websites, it looks like PV is about the equivalent of domestic F. Is that true?
2) My flight is on an A380. Does that make it less likely/impossible that I would get an upgrade opportunity?
3) Her email says "There are a limited number of seats available for this offer... we will contact you within 5 days of departure to inform you whether we were able to fill your request." With her flight being 6 days away - does this hint that if we ask, we'll get it? (Not that it matters much, since we'd find out by tomorrow.) I'd most likely upgrade her to PV.
Quote: Mrs. Redtop and I are flying separately to Europe on DL awards on AF; she is flying JFK-CDG on August 6; I am flying IAD-CDG on August 22.

Her flight is a week away, and I just got an offer to upgrade to PV for 139 euros and to Affaires for 329. A few questions:

1) From what I see on the various websites, it looks like PV is about the equivalent of domestic F. Is that true?
2) My flight is on an A380. Does that make it less likely/impossible that I would get an upgrade opportunity?
3) Her email says "There are a limited number of seats available for this offer... we will contact you within 5 days of departure to inform you whether we were able to fill your request." With her flight being 6 days away - does this hint that if we ask, we'll get it? (Not that it matters much, since we'd find out by tomorrow.) I'd most likely upgrade her to PV.
1 pv is wider seat in static shell which I think is fine for westbound transatlantic but unless you plan on watching movies all night on eastbound, forget it. Impossible to sleep in and Eco is just as good.
2 if you want to pamper swambo then get the biz seat on the a380. Worth it.

Jg
Quote:
Quote: Mrs. Redtop and I are flying separately to Europe on DL awards on AF; she is flying JFK-CDG on August 6; I am flying IAD-CDG on August 22.

1 pv is wider seat in static shell which I think is fine for westbound transatlantic but unless you plan on watching movies all night on eastbound, forget it. Impossible to sleep in and Eco is just as good.
2 if you want to pamper swambo then get the biz seat on the a380. Worth it.

Jg
I can sleep on the seat much better than in Economy, but I guess it bery much depends on your typical sleeping position.
That said, I would go for Business.
Quote: 1) From what I see on the various websites, it looks like PV is about the equivalent of domestic F. Is that true?
No it's quite different (as others mentioned, fixed shell, etc). Quite a few threads available if you need details.

Quote: 2) My flight is on an A380. Does that make it less likely/impossible that I would get an upgrade opportunity?.
Not really. It's mostly a question of loads, some people received the offer on all aircraft types but you don't receive them every time.

Quote: 3) Her email says "There are a limited number of seats available for this offer... we will contact you within 5 days of departure to inform you whether we were able to fill your request." With her flight being 6 days away - does this hint that if we ask, we'll get it? (Not that it matters much, since we'd find out by tomorrow.) I'd most likely upgrade her to PV.
Not particularly, the email is always sent at the same time (just after a week from the flight date). This being said, many people who have answered positively ended up getting their paid upgrade.
Quote: Do they now have last-minute upgrades from lower fare classes similar to KL or was it a mistake?
Can you explain the criteria for last minute upgrades with miles from lower fare classes on KL? Is it day of departure only or once online checkin opens?
Quote: Can you explain the criteria for last minute upgrades with miles from lower fare classes on KL? Is it day of departure only or once online checkin opens?
At the airport on day of departure from AMS only, cash (fixed sliding scale depending on original booking class) + miles (the regular amount).