Air India flight advice

Subscribe
Looking to book an Air India business or first seat from Delhi to Jeddah for this week. Since I am a little flexible with dates the option really is flying del-mum-jed on the 747-400 or direct on the 777-300er. .Which of these would provide better seats in business and/or first? Any of them provide for a flat bed in business? Also would there be a difference in the miles I earn with the Mumbai stopover as compared to the direct flight? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Quote: Looking to book an Air India business or first seat from Delhi to Jeddah for this week. Since I am a little flexible with dates the option really is flying del-mum-jed on the 747-400 or direct on the 777-300er. .Which of these would provide better seats in business and/or first? Any of them provide for a flat bed in business? Also would there be a difference in the miles I earn with the Mumbai stopover as compared to the direct flight? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
The Bom Jed flight departed today on a 777. They will probably use either of 747, 777 or 330 on this route. 330 will definitely not be used this week. I would disregard everything you said and just go direct del Jed. It's not worth the trouble transiting at Bombay even on the same aircraft, for a slightly better seat for an odd 5 hour

On another note, there is no flat bed on the 747 in business. There is a flat bed in first on the 777. Dont know about 747 first.
Quote: Dont know about 747 first.
747s have 12 flat bed seats in a 2-2 configuration.
If it's on the same flight number, you will get the same amount of miles regardless of whether you transit BOM or not.
i would go for the direct flight....just stick to del-jed....
Air India flight advice
Thank you all, booked on first direct, hopefully would be a good first 'first' experience.
I've enjoyed nothing but gracious and warm onboard service in Air India's F class (J and Y have been hit or miss IME).

Hope you enjoy your flight, and please report back on your experience!
Quote: I've enjoyed nothing but gracious and warm onboard service in Air India's F class (J and Y have been hit or miss IME).

Can't comment about J/Y, but yes, I do agree with F. The aunties can be really maternal. I remember as a spotty teen, being fussed over on a DEL-LHR flight in AI F, and been given all the ice-cream they had, much to the chagrin of the only other F pax, a certain Mr. L. Paes.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.822 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Quote:
Quote: I've enjoyed nothing but gracious and warm onboard service in Air India's F class (J and Y have been hit or miss IME).

Can't comment about J/Y, but yes, I do agree with F. The aunties can be really maternal. I remember as a spotty teen, being fussed over on a DEL-LHR flight in AI F, and been given all the ice-cream they had, much to the chagrin of the only other F pax, a certain Mr. L. Paes.
O definitely. The AI ladies (and ladaas too!) typically do a nice job, especially in the pointy end. Its also evident that they've been trained well, are capable. Its the rest of the paraphernalia that let's the experience down.

I mean its not her fault catering decided to load a BMC school picnic lunch, is it ?

One things for sure though (for me at least) : the younger staff on the other airlines with all their boundless energy are no match for the experience of the AI ladies.

on the flip side, when they're grumpy, watch out !
Quote: Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.822 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I mean its not her fault catering decided to load a BMC school picnic lunch, is it ?
Really? You had a school picnic lunch in AI F? What school did you attend where they served caviar!
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.822 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Hahah! You're right I should have specified presentation (tinfoil containers, clingfilm, wafer packets...)
On the very same flight in AI F, I have been offered:

Sublime:
- delightful helping of caviar with the main meal ^ (albeit with a metal spoon! )

Ridiculous:
- When I asked for an inflight snack midflight, I was offered a 25g packet of some "Haldiram bhujia mix", with a printed price of Rs 12 on the back, and a best before of the flight date itself! I then asked for a small plate and a napkin, which was provided, albeit a little grudgingly.

Haha... That is also so true.

Just like one minute you will get wine delicately poured into a goblet like an experienced sommelier. The next minute a giant plactic bottle of coke will appear and half the beverage will end up on the floor.

The experience can range from the ridiculous to the sublime all on the same flight. Keeps things (unintentionally) entertaining!

O and AJ - maybe the pearl spoons are lying in various cutlery drawers across Bombay
Quote: - When I asked for an inflight snack midflight, I was offered a 25g packet of some "Haldiram bhujia mix", with a printed price of Rs 12 on the back, and a best before of the flight date itself! I then asked for a small plate and a napkin, which was provided, albeit a little grudgingly.
bhujia mix/wafers may have been bought from Y class stock because the J/F stock was either over or spoilt/contaminated.

AI staff have bought these kurkure stuff couple of times before in J (i cant afford F). When I smiled, the hostess, a youngish girl, prolly ex Jet Airways, apologised and mentioned that the regular starters had been "contaminated' when during ground halt in DEL.

later into flight, when i was having a post-dinner drink with my movie, she bought nuts that had been warmed in the microwave as an apology. i thought it was nice.

happens.