Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Fees for a change or cancellation:

• There are fees for some changes and cancellations, so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/ticketing.aspx
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors

I was debating with this phone rep regarding whether a change fee applies, so I'd like to collect some thoughts. I'm UA gold status, so it's either

No fee for : Adding, changing or deleting a connection, 21 days or more prior to departure
or
$25 for : Changing the cabin, award type, or changing a flight to a different airline, regardless of departure date(3)

I was trying to change

LGA-AC-YUL-LX-ZRH-LX-CDG-TG-BKK-TG-DPS-QR-SIN
to :
LGA-AC-YUL-LX-ZRH-LH-FRA (23:30 layover) FRA-LH-CDG-TG-BKK-TG-DPS-QR-SIN

I thought it would fall under "adding a connection", but the rep thinks it falls under "changing airline" from LX to LH. Who is correct ?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:15 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
In instances where I've done something like you did, the excuse for the $25 was "change of routing".
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Craig6z
In instances where I've done something like you did, the excuse for the $25 was "change of routing".
but wouldn't "change of routing" be no fee if gold status and >21 days till departure ?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:36 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by 787fan
but wouldn't "change of routing" be no fee if gold status and >21 days till departure ?
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ticketing.aspx

Here is the "rules". How does your circumstances fit?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Craig6z
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ticketing.aspx

Here is the "rules". How does your circumstances fit?
OP's case falls into "Changing the cabin, award type, or changing a flight to a different airline, regardless of departure date", so there is a fee of $25. It is because the list of airlines used for the flights is changed from "AC, LX, TG, QR" to "AC, LX, LH, TG, QR".

It doesn't matter how you change the routing because there is no stopover to change at all (since the commencement of the trip is at least 21 days from now). If you can still use the same list of airlines "AC, LX, TG, QR" on all segments, all changes should cost nothing.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 9:57 pm
Suspended

are the change fee's based on your status when you book the ticket or the date that you make the change?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:07 pm

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by mike_asia
are the change fee's based on your status when you book the ticket or the date that you make the change?
See here.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by eagle92
See here.
Change Fee level is based on the MileagePlus Premier status (when the ticket was issued) of the member whose miles were used to book the award.
Canceling your trip and re-crediting Fee level is based on the MileagePlus Premier status (when the ticket was canceled) of the member whose miles were used to book the award.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by samwkchan
OP's case falls into "Changing the cabin, award type, or changing a flight to a different airline, regardless of departure date", so there is a fee of $25. It is because the list of airlines used for the flights is changed from "AC, LX, TG, QR" to "AC, LX, LH, TG, QR".

It doesn't matter how you change the routing because there is no stopover to change at all (since the commencement of the trip is at least 21 days from now). If you can still use the same list of airlines "AC, LX, TG, QR" on all segments, all changes should cost nothing.
My understanding is that even if you keep the same set of airlines, if you change LX flight to TG, you'll still have to pay the fee.

Anyway, the rules are conflicting. Yet another stupid 'enhancement' after the merger. PMCO let you make any routing and carrier changes for free 21 days out.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:34 am

Does anyone know what the Max cancellation timing is for Platinum members with an Aware ticket? Meaning...knowing we do not have any fees assessed...can you cancel & aware ticket anytime prior to deparure & still get your miles back? or is there a hour cut-off? Thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gholly
Does anyone know what the Max cancellation timing is for Platinum members with an Aware ticket? Meaning...knowing we do not have any fees assessed...can you cancel & aware ticket anytime prior to deparure & still get your miles back? or is there a hour cut-off? Thanks!
No formal cutoff (before the doors close, and I've heard of post-flight cancellations), but to me, before boarding begins makes sense.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
No formal cutoff (before the doors close, and I've heard of post-flight cancellations), but to me, before boarding begins makes sense.
Thanks so much for the info. For Thanksgiving travel, we have 1 award ticket & 1 rev ticket. I wanted an earlier time, and an award seat opened up on an earlier flight...so I'm hoping to go a SDC on the rev. if it goes through, I will cancel 1 of the award tickets...just needed to confirm how much time I had. This helps a great deal. Thanks again!
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gholly
Thanks so much for the info. For Thanksgiving travel, we have 1 award ticket & 1 rev ticket. I wanted an earlier time, and an award seat opened up on an earlier flight...so I'm hoping to go a SDC on the rev. if it goes through, I will cancel 1 of the award tickets...just needed to confirm how much time I had. This helps a great deal. Thanks again!
You realize, of course, that keeping that award ticket means one less seat open with which to SDC.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:34 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Award Ticket Date and Time Change

Please don’t flame me, I tried to find it. My question is can United award tickets be changed, date and time, an unlimited number of times? Is there a limit to the number of times an award ticket can be changed without a fee ? Thanks
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ned
... Is there a limit to the number of times an award ticket can be changed without a fee ? ...
There is no stated limited, there is always the possibility UA will say enough is enough but many here on FT have done easily 5-6 and more times. How many times did you have in mind?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.