Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott's Revenue Per Available Room (RevPar) Up 6.7% Worldwide for 2nd Qtr 2012

Marriott's Revenue Per Available Room (RevPar) Up 6.7% Worldwide for 2nd Qtr 2012

Old Jul 12, 2012, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat

Marriott International Reports Second Quarter 2012 Results

According to Arne Sorenson, “In the second quarter, our business performed well in most markets around the world. In North America, strengthening group business, more travel by our special corporate customers, especially in the technology and consulting industries, and the impact of modest supply growth, drove our occupancy and room rates higher."

Good for Marriott, but I don't think it bodes well for elites hoping for any additional benefits from Marriott. As a matter of fact with increased room rates, I think there will be a lot of category changes early next year.

Regards,

RIP
Old Jul 12, 2012, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9330; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.706 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

That's great news for Marriott. Anyone have comparable o rates for its competitors in the same quarter?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
as posted by another OP, guess all the clientele aren't going to other brands due to a diminution of value..........

Originally Posted by OU812
Marriott International Reports Second Quarter 2012 Results According to Arne Sorenson, “In the second quarter, our business performed well in most markets around the world.

Last edited by BKKLEE; Jul 12, 2012 at 8:09 am
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Q1 2012 - 6.8% REVPAR increase
Q4 2011 - 5.9% REVPAR increase
Q3 2011 - 8.3% REVPAR increase
Q2 2011 - 7.7% REVPAR increase
Q1 2011 - 6.5% REVPAR increase

Great news for Marriott and stockholders but bad news for customers:

Rate increases:
Q2 2012 - 4.1% Avg Daily Rate increase
Q1 2012 - 3.5% Avg Daily Rate increase
Q4 2011 - 3.7% Avg Daily Rate increase
Q3 2011 - 5.3% Avg Daily Rate increase
Q2 2011 - 4.5% Avg Daily Rate increase
Q1 2011 - 3.0% Avg Daily Rate increase

Which raises an interesting question:

FTers always get irate and we end up with threads that are a bazillion posts long when point devaluation occurs every 8-10 years. Why doesn't the same thing happen for rate increases that happen all the time?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:01 am

Here is the link since it was missing in the OP: Marriott International Reports Second Quarter 2012 Results
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Which raises an interesting question:

FTers always get irate and we end up with threads that are a bazillion posts long when point devaluation occurs every 8-10 years. Why doesn't the same thing happen for rate increases that happen all the time?
For the same reason we don't see folks celebrating in the streets when ADR's decline, the industry as a whole is hoping ADR's finally reach pre-recession levels next year (some markets did achieve that this year)
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by socrates
For the same reason we don't see folks celebrating in the streets when ADR's decline, the industry as a whole is hoping ADR's finally reach pre-recession levels next year (some markets did achieve that this year)
While I was not celebrating their cause, I was celebrating the low rates years ago and even posted numerous times that I was not using points as rates were too low to justify the use of points. I was saving the points for when rates rise (as they have been doing). I am now starting to use points once again and with a sizable stash of points to boot. I still won't go below a 1.5˘/pt burn rate but it is much easier to find hotels that meet that criteria with the rise in rates. YBRMV
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
While I was not celebrating their cause, I was celebrating the low rates years ago and even posted numerous times that I was not using points as rates were too low to justify the use of points. I was saving the points for when rates rise (as they have been doing). I am now starting to use points once again and with a sizable stash of points to boot. I still won't go below a 1.5˘/pt burn rate but it is much easier to find hotels that meet that criteria with the rise in rates. YBRMV
I myself was kind of enjoying the recession (from a leisure travel standpoint)...it was much easier to get favors from friends - not as easy today
Old Jul 14, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
That's great news for Marriott. Anyone have comparable o rates for its competitors in the same quarter?
Hilton's owned by Blackstone. I can't find financial data for them.

Starwood's RevPAR increased 5.8% for 1Q. 2Q not out yet.

Hyatt's 1Q RevPAR increased 8.3%; excluding the effect of currency, it increased 8.7%. 2Q not out yet.

IHG released 1Q2012 results in May so 2Q won't be out for a while. 1Q showed a 7% increase vs 6.8% for Marriott.

Wyndham will report 2Q on 25 July. 1Q showed a 9% domestic RevPAR gain and 7% systemwide.

Choice Hotels reported a 1Q domestic RevPAR growth of 8.6%; no systemwide RevPAR listed.

Going off of 1Q data, Marriott was near the bottom of the pack as far as RevPAR growth, beaten by Hyatt, IHG, Wyndham, and Choice. However, they beat Starwood in RevPAR growth for 1Q.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.