HKG Duty Free purchases - confiscated at gate?

Subscribe
I will be travelling AKL-HKG-LHR with Air NZ next month.

When going AKL-DXB-LHR or AKL-SIN-LHR, I buy duty-free alcohol at the intermediate airport (DXB/SIN) and carry them on to LHR with no problems.

I've seen a few posts that say liquids are confiscated in HKG, even after going through security (secondary, jetway screening). This seems to apply to US-bound flights especially.

Can anyone who has flown AKL-HKG-LHR tell me if their duty free alcohol purchased in HKG security area has been confiscated prior to boarding their flight? I don't want to buy it and then lose it.

LHR duty free alcohol is not cheap - you can buy it cheaper in UK Sainsbury's supermarkets, so I shan't be buying at LHR.
LHR Duty Free inbound is not cheap because what is sold in the arrivals area is not duty free at all. You cannot buy duty free on arrival into the UK. There should be no issues with a direct flight from HKG to the UK, especially without a transit stop. Likewise, you can buy on board if they sell what you want.
There is usually an additional search for US bound flights to comply with US-DHS regulations. It is here that liquids are confiscated.

I always had the second security check departing HKG heading to US but none going to CDG, AMS ICN or Canada.
Quote: LHR Duty Free inbound is not cheap because what is sold in the arrivals area is not duty free at all. You cannot buy duty free on arrival into the UK. There should be no issues with a direct flight from HKG to the UK, especially without a transit stop. Likewise, you can buy on board if they sell what you want.
It's not cheap outbound, either!

Thanks for you other advice.
Quote: There is usually an additional search for US bound flights to comply with US-DHS regulations. It is here that liquids are confiscated.

I always had the second security check departing HKG heading to US but none going to CDG, AMS ICN or Canada.
The Duty Free shops in HKG will not sell you any liquids > 3.3 ounces if you show them a USA-bound boarding pass.
I tried to buy wine in duty free last night hkg-sin on UA. I was told United doesn't allow any purchase.
Quote: There is usually an additional search for US bound flights to comply with US-DHS regulations. It is here that liquids are confiscated.

Quote: I tried to buy wine in duty free last night hkg-sin on UA. I was told United doesn't allow any purchase.
That's pretty shocking, given that the TSA even now allows duty free purchases to be carried on, and has since January 31, 2014. Not to mention the countless places in Europe that let you do the same with duty free, and the fact that Australia loosed up like 2 years ago. The HKG thing at the gate is maddening.