Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2

Subscribe
Detail seat map at: {removed dead link} replacement link

AVOD (Audio Video On Demand) is available at every seat, the first UA plane to equipped this way. The first 777-200 in this configuration started flying in April 2010, and will probably take 18-24 months before the entire 777 international fleet is converted.

First Class
There are only eight First suites now, instead of the 10 or 12 in the older 777 configurations. These suites are spacious, will a wide full-flat bed, and plenty of storage spaces. A big difference for me is the way the new seats are angled toward the aisle, as opposed to angling away. This makes couples traveling together have an awkward time if they take the middle pairs. For single travelers, for sure the individual suites along the side of the fuselage is better. Even for people traveling together, I might consider taking adjacent seats across the aisle, so you can see each other. Sharing of meals and quiet conversation would be difficult across the aisle would be difficult however.

The First glass galley is concentrated on the right side, I would probably avoid the right aisle if given a choice, and consider seat 2A be the best on this configuration.

As for window view, all of the window suites have plenty of windows, but with the angling of the seats away from the window, it is much harder to look out of them.

Business Class
Equipped with full-flat 180-degree seats similar to the (now-familiar) ones on the 767-300 and 747-400. Divided in two cabins, front cabins has two rows, and three rows in the rear cabin, with the galley and lavatory between these two cabins.

In order to fit eight Business Class seats across, these seats are narrower than the previous recliners that are only 7 across. Even with the arm-rest that can be lowered, these seats do feel relatively snug. The benefit is a full flat sleeping surface, albeit forcing the inside passengers to step over a sleeping neighbor in order to access the aisle.

I think the preferred row is row 6, since it is the first row and relatively far away from the facilities. If boarding is via L2, you turn left and most of the rest of the passengers will turn right and resulted in much less traffic through your area.

Note that the 777 cabin is about 9 inches narrower than the 747 cabin, with the exact same number of seats, so you will most likely notice the difference, perhaps most so as you are going down the aisles.

All four of the middle block seats in each row faces the same diretion, the same for all five rows. For what its worth, note that 7A and 7K has a middle window.

Row 8 is probably the least desirable, since it is closest to the facilities. 8C and 8H most likely would notice the most traffic to the lavatories and galley. The view out of windows in this second cabin is either back toward the wing, or partially being blocked. 10A and 10K also have a middle window next to the seat as well. 10B and 10J might notice FA traffic through the near-by curtain more so than others.

Economy Plus
With the reconfiguration into 3-3-3 vs 2-5-2, there are only four pairs of seats in coach, and all are located in the Economy Plus section.

20AB and 20JK are probably the best coach seats, fully shielded by the bulk-head in front of them, with good legroom as well. These are most likely the bassinet positions, so beware of that. The curtain separating Business Class is in front of you, but probably is far enough away that it is not really a problem. Since the facilities are in the back, you have a long way to go to the lavatory, but it also meant very little passenger traffic passing by your seat. You also get to the the first Economy passenger to deplane and through immigrations. A couple down side is that your view out the window is mostly the wing, and there is no under-seat storage in front of you.

21C and 21H is interesting, since they have unlimited legroom with no seat in front of them. This mean no under-seat storage in front, and trays are in the arm-rest, making the seat feel slightly narrower, and your monitor is mounted on a swing arm. With your feet extended, just beware that people and carts passing through might occasionally bump you.

There is a missing window around row 23 and 24, so choose another row is you want a view looking mostly at the wings.

The other two pairs of seats are the the last row of this Economy Plus cabin, at 31 AB and 31 JK. Note that there is no window for 31A and 31J, and this row is near the lavatories, so certainly more traffic. You are also just in front of the emergency exit, so people sometimes congregate in the area just behind you.

I would also avoid 30C and 30H, since there is no seat behind them, and their seatbacks could be used as hand-grabs by passengers passing through, or occasionally being bumped by carts.

Power ports are available in Economy Plus, one port for the pairs of seats, and two for the cluster of three seats. The outlet is mounted just under the seat cushion edge, so easiest accessible if you know where to look.

Economy Class
33ABC and 33HJK is the exist row seats, near the lavatory, and subjected to people congregating in front of you. No under-seat storage in front, and trays and LCD screens are in arm-rest and swing-arms respectively, making the seat feel narrower. 33A and 33K does not have a window, although it is probably far enough away from the exit slide that legroom is not really an issue.

34 DEG is the bulk-head row, video monitor on the wall, and this is also the bassinet position. Decent legroom, but again no under-seat storage.

The galley is in the back of the plane, as well as another two lavatories, so there will be more traffic through the back of the plane.

Rows 43-46 probably are the last to be assigned, or often reserved for tour groups with no advance seat assignment. They might also be more likely to be unassigned on occasions, and therefore somewhat likely to have a adjacent seat open for you to gamble on. You would however, be the last to deplane and through immigrations, and the back of the plane do get a little more motion especially through turbulence.

Power-ports are not confirmed to be available in Economy Class, and I will update the information as appropriate.
777 Reconfiguration Images
Hi folks,

We know you’re all very excited to get onboard the reconfigured 777s, so we thought we’d give you a little preview before the “maiden” flight.

Take a look and let us know your thoughts (like we had to ask!!)

Thanks again for your enthusiasm; we’re just as excited as you are to see the new configuration take flight!

United PR

Moderator's Note - Here's a link to additional photos:

Quote: OK team. I'm in Rome and dead tired after flying 9,000+ miles from KOA. I've loaded the pictures that I took on UA 914 on 4/24 to a Flickr acount. Here's the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/muggsybananas/sets/

I think it works. SOmebody try it quickly and tell me it works. I really want to crash!

CB
Quote: More pics if anyone wants them [from www.airliners.net]:

Just got off a new 777 from a TATL flight to ZRH. Sat in 20D/ 20E, which were good seats, IMO. I like the leg room and no one reclining into my lap. The only better seats would be row 20, the 2 seats on either window side.

Frankly, I would not want that seat 21C or the one on the other side, with all of the leg room. Yikes... talk about a heavy traffic area and people bumping into your feet! I'm glad we sat where we did.

Just thought of another nice positive about econ +. I liked that our row (middle section bulkhead, row 20) had dedicated overhead bins. On the bin itself is a sign that says the spaced is reserved for seats XXX... these reserved 'notes' appear on pretty much all overhead bins in econ + that I could see. This trip yesterday was my first in econ + on the new 777, as I've been lucky to get upgrades cleared prior to flying.
Quote: Frankly, I would not want that seat 21C or the one on the other side, with all of the leg room. Yikes... talk about a heavy traffic area and people bumping into your feet! I'm glad we sat where we did.
I just flew KIX -> SFO in 21H, had no traffic there and was only bumped once by the cart. Since there's no economy accessible lavs in the area, I don't think congregating traffic is likely to be much of an issue.

Quote: Just thought of another nice positive about econ +. I liked that our row (middle section bulkhead, row 20) had dedicated overhead bins. On the bin itself is a sign that says the spaced is reserved for seats XXX... these reserved 'notes' appear on pretty much all overhead bins in econ + that I could see.
I've flown the new 777 several times in E+, haven't noticed these tags (though certainly possible I just missed them).

- Bill
I didn't see anything in this thread about the other new configuration, I believe 77D. They opened up the crew rests on a domestic route, rows 29 and rows 30. Is there any benefit to choosing those over 20 (i.e., leg rests in the seats, etc).
Anybody experience crew rest seats?
I have a domestic flight coming up on the new 777 and thought I would try out the crew rest area since they're open for seat assignment (29 DEG, 30 DEG). Does anyone have any experience with these seats? Are they quantifiably better than regular E+?

Edit: essentially same question as 1 up.
I know I'm posting in the wrong place... (ducks to avoid the rotten tomatoes), but do we have a similar thread for the PMCO 772s? Which are the best BF seats? I'm thinking row 1 because no one will walk past me...any caveats I should know about?
Quote: I know I'm posting in the wrong place... (ducks to avoid the rotten tomatoes), but do we have a similar thread for the PMCO 772s? Which are the best BF seats? I'm thinking row 1 because no one will walk past me...any caveats I should know about?
Avoid 1D, it's directly across the aisle from the lav.
Quote: I know I'm posting in the wrong place... (ducks to avoid the rotten tomatoes), but do we have a similar thread for the PMCO 772s? Which are the best BF seats? I'm thinking row 1 because no one will walk past me...any caveats I should know about?
I like row 8 a lot
Quote: Avoid 1D, it's directly across the aisle from the lav.
thanks for pointing that out! currently in 1K & L - those are fine?

Quote: I like row 8 a lot
right - and row 8 is nice because...

thanks for getting back to me!
Quote: right - and row 8 is nice because...
You have the bulkhead which has more storage space, slightly larger cubby hole, you're the first one off the plane. (I also don't mind it being near the galley or the bathroom as I like the proximity, and have never noticed extra noise, sound, or smell)
Quote: You have the bulkhead which has more storage space, slightly larger cubby hole, you're the first one off the plane. (I also don't mind it being near the galley or the bathroom as I like the proximity, and have never noticed extra noise, sound, or smell)
1KL or 8KL? I did 8AB and didn't like all the foot traffic at boarding. Definitely want a bulkhead row and the right side of the plane seems like the place to be.

Thanks.
Quote: 1KL or 8KL? I did 8AB and didn't like all the foot traffic at boarding. Definitely want a bulkhead row and the right side of the plane seems like the place to be.

Thanks.
You'll have a bit less foot traffic at 8KL during boarding, but not that much. I personally wasn't bothered by it, but if you were bothered by 8AB, you may also be bothered there. (Two main differences: A - at KL, they're already moving, as opposed to the bottleneck that happens at the door, so it may not be as bad at KL and B - you have slightly less than half the people there, unlike AB where, depending on your orientation, has either 100% of the Y pax or just over 50% of the Y pax.)

If you like the right side of the plane and you want the bulkhead and you want to avoid the foot traffic, I'd say go with 1K (larger footwell than 1L).
With the upgrade lottery prompting me to buy more TPAC K fares I've become acquainted with row 20. The biggest problem is only having one outlet for the pair of seats.

A worse problem is my upcoming TPAC switching to the old 777 overnight. Now 12 hours without power. Thanks UA.
UA853?
Hello,

Does anyone know when the UA853 SFO-NRT plane will be upgraded to the new configuration?