Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Newport Rhode Island REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - no longer hyatt 12/30/16

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2004, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed at this property? I did not find any reviews in my search. Also, what can one expect as a Diamond at this hotel?
Old Mar 19, 2004, 8:40 am

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
I was there last month during a big rainstorm, so I didn't get to see too much. I was upgraded to a "condo" type room with a "loft." It was in need of some work. Do not expect a Regency type quality. Ammenity was quickly offered and delivered.

Old Mar 19, 2004, 8:53 am

Reviews of this hotel:

1) TripAdvisor.com
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...de_Island.html

2) BiddingForTravel.com
http://pub210.ezboard.com/fpriceline...icID=197.topic

3) Fodors.com
http://fodors.com/rants/rrread.cfm?d...ntity_id=43282

Old Mar 19, 2004, 9:28 pm

When the hotel first converted to a Hyatt I was regularly upgraded to various suites. All were two story units - some had regular stairs with the bedroom upstairs, and some had a difficult circular stairway that scared my kids. In more recent stays I have always been preblocked into a water view room in the "Captain's Quarters" (4 digit room numbers starting with a "3"; second digit is the floor, second floor units have a slightly better view than first floor). This is a seperate wing of the hotel with much larger rooms (in fact some of the standard rooms in the main wing are tiny and have views of the parking lot - so Captain's Quarters is a necessity!). Some of the rooms in Captain's Quarters have 2 queen beds and a queen sleeper, others a King and the sleeper. All have mini fridges. I usually call 1-800-CHECK-IN and ask them to see if the hotel has preblocked me, telling the agent that they usually preblock a suite or Captain's Quarters room for me (which is true). If a suite wasn't preblocked I ask that they call the hotel to see if one is available; the hotel will offer up suites to Diamonds if occupancy allows, as they have no RC. You will get breakfast coupons which are good at their buffet; pretty good deal. Hotel has an outdoor saltwater pool and indoor freshwater pool. Decent spa. Its across the bridge from downtown, so you need to hike or take their shuttle van downtown. There is a charge for parking (self or valet), although they have not charged me on my two recent visits (either by mistake or because they intentionally do not charge diamonds or people usuing awards). Service level is nothing great, but they try and have a AAA 4 diamond rating. I wish they would add a RC.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 8:37 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Good memories and a helpful staff.
Would go back happily anytime.
They went out of their way to see us well taken care of.
Along with my guests.
We all had rooms side by side and had stunning water views.
Our building was a fair walk from the main lobby and dining area.
But no concerns there for us.
The dining room at breakfast can be packed At lunch they serve a mean lobster roll/salad.
Wish I could get that at every Hyatt YUM..........Enjoy

------------------
AA & Starwood,Marriott Platinum
Hyatt, Hilton Diamond
Swissotel Club Gold
U/A 1k

[This message has been edited by 777 global mile hound (edited Mar 22, 2004).]
Old Mar 22, 2004, 3:54 pm

I am not sure if they charge for self-service parking during the off-season.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 6:42 pm

Has anyone stayed recently post-renovation?
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:45 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver
According to the website, renovations are still in process and will be through the end of May (at least).

I stayed in a renovated room in early March. Although the renovated room was nice (what I would expect at a full-service Hyatt), It didn't knock me off my feet, either.

Hotel operations (check-in, check-out, the restaurant and bar) were a complete mess. The food in the restaurant was being prepared in kitchen on the other side of the hotel. It was late and cold. The spa was open, but the pool was closed.

Since I was there for business, it wasn't a big deal. If I was there on vacation expecting to stay at a resort, I would have been extremely upset.

Unless you are just looking for a place to sleep, I would strongly recommend staying away until renovations are truly done.
Old May 30, 2008, 8:30 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Ok...LONG RANT and warning about this property coming up!

I had a stay here about 2 weeks ago....here goes....

Arrival: After finally finding a spot in the limited parking area, I trudged through NUMEROUS potholes filled with sand and water. SOAKED my shoes, and the bottom of my suit pants. I then proceeded to the area marked with an arrow towards the front desk. It is VERY NARROW, and had 4 employees standing there, directing me to the desk. WHY NOT HAVE VALET? The lot is like walking through a MUD/SAND field for 200 yards!

Desk: It is about 400 feet of narrow hallway, and not marked very well. At the desk, I was interupted twice by construction employees asking the FD various questions. The FD advises they are sending engineering up as a table is "loose" and they want to tighten it per housekeeping. I requested G2 and 1W be put on the bill, and of course they WERENT!

Room: Here is where it gets WIERD...VERY WIERD! I get to the room, and see a pair of shoes at in the hallway about 10 feet from my door. I enter, and am startled by a housekeeping lady sleeping on the sofa. She demanded to know WHY I was in the room? She wanted me to leave with her and go to the front desk. LONG day of travel, I kicked her out and crashed!

Breakfast: As I was told "Hyatt corp told us no RC will be at this location after remodel" I headed for the restaurant to use my certs. The signage sucked. I "bothered" a spa rep as she had to raise her head out of her SevenTeen magazine to point me in the right direction. NUMEROUS TIMES i was "pushed" out of the walkway (had my roller suitcase behind me) by construction guys. They were walking 2-3-4 wide at times. After about 7 minutes, I finally find the empty restaurant. Service was horrible. I ordered off the menu, as the buffet is not open. Took forever, and saw the server twice..to take my order, and dump it at my table. I left, not worrying about tip/tax/anything about 10 minutes AFTER i finished my breakfast.

Travel to car: After what seemed like a MILE walk, and pushed out of the way by construction workers AGAIN...I was able to again get my shoes full of sandy water and get to my car.

Leaving parking lot: A NARROW, one way road was being driven in REVERSE by the construction trucks. Almost got hit!! They had a train of 4 trucks. I was going out, the OUT...and the first guy in the truck going IN the OUT gave me the finger!!! What a way to TOP OFF A STAY!

Followup: I spoke to the GM. Ironically, when we got to the part of the construction workers, he had to put me on hold for a few minutes, as at that EXACT time, a worker was in his office and decided to run a power tool!!! He told me he was struggling with the issues too. NOT an excuse. No offer of compensation, except to "call me when you are coming back!"

I have had 2 stays since...both at MARRIOTT! Bottom line, with mngt and staff that dont care when they KNOW they have issues..imagine what will be happening when/if the construction is done???? I would/will stay away from here like the PLAGUE!!!!
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Diam Hertz Gold
Question Any New Reviews?

Any new reviews on this property? Is the renovation finished? The construction progress link on the website seems at though it has not been updated in several months.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:01 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by outbound10
Any new reviews on this property? Is the renovation finished? The construction progress link on the website seems at though it has not been updated in several months.

I have a stay at the Marriott this week, as I called the hotel and the construction is STILL not done.

BTW, still not a single point of compensation for all of the issues.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 4:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt
Stayed here few weeks ago.
Yes, they charged $10 per night for self-parking.
No room upgrade for a Diamond member. Although I was told that I was upgraded, but the room was a very tiny king room.
Full breakfast coupon for a diamond member was nice and decent.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG gold,Marriott silver, AA, UA, Delta
Similar experience a month ago. Couldn't get an upgrade to save my life. Yes, it's a decent breakfast. It finally occurred to me after talking to the manager, who couldn't have cared less about my Diamond status, that this place is a franchise, not Hyatt owned. I find that's usually the case when I'm disappointed.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 6:39 pm

I just stayed at the Hyatt Regency Newport for the first time. For the past few years, I've stayed at the Marriott Newport right on America's Cup Ave. While I really prefer the view and the waterside patio bar (Pineapples), this property is a bit of a trek to get to the main area of Newport. Aside from the advantages of the view and the outdoor bar, everything else was average. I didn't see any major renovations being done at the time but there definitely were tradespeople on-site tending to various building fixtures, from hallway air diffusers to windows, etc.

All in all, the hotel felt quite small and cramped. If walking to amenities is important, I'd suggest paying a little bit more for one of the hotels along America's Cup Ave instead.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Here's an excerpt from an email from my step-son, who travels a lot (i.e., not a once-a-year vacationer) -

"Upon driving up to the arrival area there was a massive traffic jam with no parking employees anywhere around to help out."

"Check-in took an inordinate amount of time, primarily because the front desk staff were acting like concierges and spending enormous amounts of time explaining to all of the guests checking in about the many features of the hotel. After a few minutes one of the two check-in agents left and disappeared for the remainder of our time in line."

"The overall appearance of the lobby was nothing short of grubby. The lobby glass looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a week, and water was dripping from several pipes that were part of the air conditioning right into the middle of the lobby."

"Our room was clean, a reasonable size, and well-appointed."

"Room service turned out to be a disaster. I ordered the 'fresh' cod - a big mistake. It reeked of an oder that made it seem as if the fish had been sitting out for 3 days. When the room service person returned to take it away, he literally jumped back from the plate when I asked him to take a whiff. They did take the fish off our bill, but why they served it in the first place is anyone's guess."

"When I ordered a movie, I tried to preview it, or at least see how long it was." The menu option was blank and I inadvertantly ordered the movie (my mistake). I tried to call the front desk right away to have them take it off the bill, but after 3 tries, no one answered. So I called the concierge to ask if they could help and pass the message along. They said that they had no idea how to handle the matter but would call back. When they called back, they told me nothing could be done once I ordered the movie. No options. I did eventually get it removed at check-out, but it was a frustrating experience."

"After dinner I went to the bar. Although the bartender was very cordial, the place was mobbed and it took forever to get served. The place was clearly understaffed."

"The hotel had been recommended by one of my wife's clients, and based on our previous good experiences at Hyatts, we expected a similar stay here. All I can say is this place is way below the usual Hyatt standards and neither my wife nor I would return."

--- Personally, I have never been to this property, but knowing my step-son and his usual assessments, I would definitely trust his evaluation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.